Fleet Carriers - a few questions for those that love to speculate

I thought I'd read somewhere that they will be persistent even to the point of being about when their owner is logged out of the game. Available for landings to anyone already having the appropriate permissions.
I think that was the plan when they were going to be Squadron fleet carriers. We will have to wait and see. The issue I have with them being persistent to everyone, that at certain systems you could have thousands of fleet carriers in the area. Not too sure how that will work in the Nav panel.

This is getting embarrassing ...

There is a bit of difference between the size of a fleet carrier (going on the limited images that FD have released) and the size of a station, even an outpost.

But yeah, fill your boots, plan to have your entire 38 ship inventory nice and safe in your one and only Fleet Carrier, I really hope you can do it, I really do. But then if that does happen all the will occur is people will complain on the forums how the Fleet Carrier breaks known laws of physics by cramming more ships in a space that physically isn't there.

All I know is I am not planning on having more than 16 ships on a carrier if I do decide to buy one :D

I'm not planning either way, i'm waiting to see what FD actually release.

FD haven't always been the best at clearly communicating what they intend and plans can always change, so saying "we know" about anything in relation to FCs is rather jumping the gun.

Remember multicrew? We "knew" that there were going to be 3 multicrew roles in addition to the pilot, until it was reduced to 2.

I don't know.

In your opinion, the ships of the other Cmdrs (excluding wings and squadrons) who are invited will be able to come on my FC (in addition to my ships, wings, squadrons ...) and they will have to pay for the fuel and the supplies ?

It's a possibility ?

Its not been mentioned but I'd say no, because although the price is low its an indirect commander to commander pay transfer.

I think that was the plan when they were going to be Squadron fleet carriers. We will have to wait and see. The issue I have with them being persistent to everyone, that at certain systems you could have thousands of fleet carriers in the area. Not too sure how that will work in the Nav panel.

It might not work very well :D

But i hope there is persistence and FD might a way of dealing with the potential for thousands of carriers, even if it means reducing how many are visible on some sort of priority basis, like 1) your own, 2) friends, 3) allies, 4) others, with a max of say 10 possible.

I pretty much hope they use a different docking mechanism without the pad turning, hell perhaps even without entering hangar.
That would hopefully include no more ships then pads.

That could be quite sweet, approaching your FC and seeing all your other ships sitting there on pads.

Do i think FD will do this? Not a snowball's chance in hell.

IIRC they said the fuel will be a new commodity that can be purchased from certain stations or mined in the wild.

I would assume it will have a Shipyard function - otherwise i fail to see how you could transport your ships to your FC - but it may work only for the owner. The guests won't have access to it.

Regarding the capacity - i would assume it will work the same as an outpost or megaship - pad hogging can be an issue while multiple instances will overcome that.

Now about the POI - i assume the FC POI will be visible only to the ones that have permission. Pretty much like wingmate beacons.
This way you can have 2000 FC in SD, but one will see only the FC that allows him to dock.

It will be interesting to see how permissions are dealt with: individual names (probably limited to a number of entries).
If they do add Squadron permission, this might prove to be a problem for large squadrons if the said squadron decide to converge all their carriers in the same system (stupid yes, i'll admit that)

Regarding the interface - i assume it will be something megaship/outpost like. Basic functions like repair/refuel/rearm will be available to all FC (and shipyard for owner only)
Then comes the support modules, each adding one or maybe more Services:
Exploration will add Universal Cartographics and maybe some outfitting options
Trade/Mining - will add commodity market (average galactic prices - is a possibility) and aslo maybe some outfitting options
And so on for each role.

The thing that annoys me is the possibility that the carrier will be limited in the number of support modules it can fit. I do hope they will allow multiple support modules.

FC-1.JPG

My understanding is that these fleet carriers only exist in the instance of the owner and they will only carry 16 ships.

Personally I would prefer them to have been opened by a squadron and be available in every instance without any hard limit of ships, but that may not have been possible.

I think the phrasing was ‘one per instance’ meaning that you won’t have two in exactly the same place.

From everything that’s been said, FCs will effectively be Outposts that the owner can jump around.
If that is the case:
  • Select a system object and your FC will become a POI in orbit around it.
  • It’ll be visible in the Nav Panel in all modes to everyone.
  • Pads will work the same as Stations with no ship limit other than within an instance.

I pretty much hope they use a different docking mechanism without the pad turning, hell perhaps even without entering hangar.
That would hopefully include no more ships then pads.

There is definitely something a bit different about the behaviour of those pads in the video: 2 observations:

At about 21 seconds there is a graphic showing the large pads moving simultaneously (bizarrely under a customize your loadout header)

We see the same behaviour at the very end of the video with all the large pads retracting together - interestingly (to me) at this point we can see one of the small pads is in use, so I (widely speculate) that this is not battening down the hatches prior to a jump - as the context might suggest.

I'm sure this video must have been picked apart for clues by those with sharper eyes than me.

Not sure if this behaviour adds to the pad / capacity debate in any meaningful way.

There is definitely something a bit different about the behaviour of those pads in the video: 2 observations:

At about 21 seconds there is a graphic showing the large pads moving simultaneously (bizarrely under a customize your loadout header)

We see the same behaviour at the very end of the video with all the large pads retracting together - interestingly (to me) at this point we can see one of the small pads is in use, so I (widely speculate) that this is not battening down the hatches prior to a jump - as the context might suggest.

I'm sure this video must have been picked apart for clues by those with sharper eyes than me.

Not sure if this behaviour adds to the pad / capacity debate in any meaningful way.

Yes, exactly. Pads seem to go up and down, but not round and round- also, the S pads at angles are too close together for deep spinning action either. So I'm really leaning towards simplified motion.

I think the phrasing was ‘one per instance’ meaning that you won’t have two in exactly the same place.
An instance is about networking, not about in-game location.

From everything that’s been said, FCs will effectively be Outposts that the owner can jump around.
If that is the case:
  • Pads will work the same as Stations with no ship limit other than within an instance.
As stated what happens if there are a thousand fleet carriers in one system, will there be 1000 space based POIs in the nav panel?

I don't think they will work that way at all personally. I think there will be a limit of 16 ships based on the pad size for you and your friends. I certainly don't think there will be unlimited docking.

Something that I've been thinking about since the "FCs should have a 1000Ly jump range" thread, is that none of us, myself included, know how the FCs are going to actually travel.

For my $0.02 worth, I think FCs will be to our ships as our ships are to our SRVs. That is, we will "recall" our FC to our current ship position (instance), subject to maximum jump range and loaded fuel limitations. This means that while our FC will have a high jump range, they won't be able to carry us to any system that we can't fly to already.

While it wouldn't surprise me if FCs also had a "travel time" (like your regular ship has a recall delay) that was the same as ship or module transfers, I'm actually expecting an instant (or sub-minute) jump. The clips we've seen of the FCs jumping is the same as for the capital ships. We know that their jump technology is older and works differently to what we have in our ships.

If that is the case:

I guess they will be visible only to the cmdrs that have docking permissions.
Otherwise people will literally try to crash a system by clogging it with zounds of carriers.

I just hope they include a cut scene of leaving and arriving (External View) - I'll be a bit disappointed if we enter the hanger, start the jump, screen wobble then you are at your destination. Which raises another question, will we be able to choose which body the FC orbits and move it within system?

Top Bottom