Conspiracy theory: Long travel times were secretly designed for longer player retention

Personally, I'm OK with long travel times, and after all there are relatively few occasions where you have to go more than a couple of thousand Ls from your arrival point unless you choose to (do read those mission details before you accept them).

On the other hand, I doubt that anyone has ever traveled 100,000 Ls and said to themselves, "Well, that was over far too soon! I quit!" But I can imagine people who are frustrated with the game for lots of reasons being pushed over the edge by ten idle minutes in supercruise.

So my expectation is that long travel times are a net negative for player retention, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the New Era saw travel times reduced: I did wonder whether our glimpse of the Orthrus was intended to foreshadow the adoption of Thargoid technology to achieve this.

I actually enjoyed finding planets by eyeball and parallax. Bloody scanners. Back I my day....

I've recently been reading articles in "Unscientifically Speaking" Magazine about two separate but related neurological conditions "'Justnotgettingit Syndrome" and "Didntreadthewholepostitis" both if which based on this thread seem way more widespread than the reported figures indicate, I wonder if there Is any correlation with the well documented condition "onlymyopinionmattersism" ...humm 🤔

I think you'll find Onlymyopinionmattersism is merely a catch-all condition which describes the default state of all living beings: The Zebra, about to be slain and devoured by the lion is right to be of the opinion that it would prefer this not to be the case, whilst the lion, naturally is of the opinion that it is time for lunch.

For humans, not being readily predisposed to such behaviour nevertheless take every opportunity to play out this base behaviour in other ways. Notably by disagreeing with everything opined by anyone anywhere ever.

Now it may appear on occasion that groups will appear to emerge that can be said to be on one side of an argument but do not be fooled. This is a necessarily evolved survival dynamic the intention of which is merely to thin the herd. Having disposed with the enemy group, these individuals will invariably and subtly alter the terms of their position to bring about a secondary discussion and the entire debate can re-ignite anew in this smaller group.

What nutritional value this activity gains any eventual winner is still the matter of much heated debate.

The fundamental underlying misconception about the perceived duration of travel can easily be overturned using a dimensional pivot of the ED spacetime continuum.

If you remain constrained by the limitations of the mile wide plane, then your journification can be prolongated into quanta often measured on the Netflix timeline.

However, juxtaposing a perpendicularity into the inch-deep stratum imposes a paradigm shift upon which the fundamental futility of linear motion is exposed.

Realisation that all points on the mile-wide plane are in fact merely expressions of a universal form creates a singularity in which all time is now and all places are here.

It is in this transcendent moment of clarity that resolution of the fundaments of existence may achieve a unity of purpose and prevent entropic nihilistic paralysis by revealing a fundamental truth of existence in which there is only one path to enlightenment.

Bring back the ADS!
What's with the exploration and combat HUD modes again and why do they exist? Why park your ship and go to a weird camera view to use the FSS and DSS?

I don't want to chuck pokeballs at planets! 😭

Frontier are clearly trying to kill off exploration so they don't have to keep adding actual content to the game. The galactic sim is a bottomless pit of potential they've decided to cover over with demeaning "game-play" rather than try to fill in hopes that I'll go away, or fill the void in my heart with paint jobs.

I think you'll find Onlymyopinionmattersism is merely a catch-all condition which describes the default state of all living beings: The Zebra, about to be slain and devoured by the lion is right to be of the opinion that it would prefer this not to be the case, whilst the lion, naturally is of the opinion that it is time for lunch.

For humans, not being readily predisposed to such behaviour nevertheless take every opportunity to play out this base behaviour in other ways. Notably by disagreeing with everything opined by anyone anywhere ever.

Now it may appear on occasion that groups will appear to emerge that can be said to be on one side of an argument but do not be fooled. This is a necessarily evolved survival dynamic the intention of which is merely to thin the herd. Having disposed with the enemy group, these individuals will invariably and subtly alter the terms of their position to bring about a secondary discussion and the entire debate can re-ignite anew in this smaller group.

What nutritional value this activity gains any eventual winner is still the matter of much heated debate.

This is rubbish. All opinions are valid and correct, and especially the contradictory ones. All perceptions are real, and everyone should per force be made to accomodate all perceived realities, and also especially the contradictory ones.

Everyone should be allowed to voice their always correct opinions, and especially the offensive ones. At the same time, no one should be allowed to take offense at offensive opinions.

This isn’t difficult.

This is rubbish. All opinions are valid and correct, and especially the contradictory ones. All perceptions are real, and everyone should per force be made to accomodate all perceived realities, and also especially the contradictory ones.

Everyone should be allowed to voice their always correct opinions, and especially the offensive ones. At the same time, no one should be allowed to take offense at offensive opinions.

This isn’t difficult.
This is not rubbish. All opinions are not valid and all are not correct, and not particularly the confirmatory ones. All perceptions are fake , and everyone should per force not be made to accommodate all perceived realities, and also not particularly the confirmatory ones.

No-one should be allowed to voice their never correct opinions, and not particularly the inoffensive ones. At the same time, everyone should be prevented from not being offended by inoffensive opinions.

This is easy.

What's with the exploration and combat HUD modes again and why do they exist? Why park your ship and go to a weird camera view to use the FSS and DSS?

I don't want to chuck pokeballs at planets! 😭

Frontier are clearly trying to kill off exploration so they don't have to keep adding actual content to the game. The galactic sim is a bottomless pit of potential they've decided to cover over with demeaning "game-play" rather than try to fill in hopes that I'll go away, or fill the void in my heart with paint jobs.

You are clearly playing the game wrong. I'll bet you even have a monitor.

GalNet that propaganda trumpet, sending brains waves through the ether making people buy, stuff they don't need, ship fuel, emergency o2 whatever the hell that is, owned by the Galactic Potato-Industrial Complex, Soylent Green is people.!! It's PEOPLE

Billionaire owned media serves the billionaire class and maintains the status quo. None of that changes the fact that people are tasty and nutritious, and in high supply. That’s just good economics. If it helps, just imagine it’s ocean plankton.

This is not rubbish. All opinions are not valid and all are not correct, and not particularly the confirmatory ones. All perceptions are fake , and everyone should per force not be made to accommodate all perceived realities, and also not particularly the confirmatory ones.

No-one should be allowed to voice their never correct opinions, and not particularly the inoffensive ones. At the same time, everyone should be prevented from not being offended by inoffensive opinions.

This is easy.

We’re going to have to agree to disagree that we don’t agree and are in agreement.

Here try this

It isn't not inappropriate to manifestly undervalue the disproportionate response engendered by a semantic misinterpretation of an overreaching tenet, based purely on sophistry whilst disregarding, the basic principle of soundness of beliefs
What we have here is clearly blatant misrepresentation and disingenuousness masquerading as established pseudo-scientific principle. Although in the past I have had the greatest respect for your delusions, your, if you will, sophistry, on this occasion I am forced to conclude that not only are your musings founded on a misunderstanding of, as you say, 'an overreaching tenet', but point to a far deeper and may I say, insidious, nay, creeping deterioration of your neural pathways. From which there can be but one deduction, and it's one upon which I hesitate to elucidate, but frankly:

You're nuts.

What we have here is clearly blatant misrepresentation and disingenuousness masquerading as established pseudo-scientific principle. Although in the past I have had the greatest respect for your delusions, your, if you will, sophistry, on this occasion I am forced to conclude that not only are your musings founded on a misunderstanding of, as you say, 'an overreaching tenet', but point to a far deeper and may I say, insidious, nay, creeping deterioration of your neural pathways. From which there can be but one deduction, and it's one upon which I hesitate to elucidate, but frankly:

You're nuts.

*Your nuts.

Aaaaanyway, getting this thread back on topic where it belongs...

It's perfectly clear that the entire playerbase is at one and the same time both entirely happy with and extremely dissatisfied with Elite Dangerous, with players vacillating between either state per Vandahl's Theory of Desiderata: When things are going well, the game is good. When things are going NOT so well, well, not so much.

Where Frontier have apparently played a masterstroke of game-design is in ensuring there are long periods of gameplay during which this dichotomy is in effect neutralised: during travel time nothing much happens and it is therefore difficult for players to meaningfully evaluate whether or not they are having a good time, or a bad time, because objectively all they are in fact having is 'a time'.
Or wasting it, in fact.

Apparently, the delay in the release of Fleet Carriers was explicitly designed to out-manoeuvre that small subset of players who had had the temerity to be dissatisfied with this dissatisfaction amelioration mechanism: they've forgotten how much they hate travelling whilst they vent their spleen over the delays.

Incidentally, some hints are emerging that the much-vaunted 'New Era' release may well only be available as a physical product on disc. The discs are said to have been impregnated with a powerful sedative capable of absorption through the skin. Whether this is true or not may never be known absent a suspicious calm on the forums come release-day.

This leaves many players feeling that there's a lot in the game that they haven't experienced or achieved, and so they remain fairly regular players for a length of time inordinately disproportionate to the time it should have taken to make the progress they have, thereby resulting in a good section of the player base remaining active for longer, giving developers time to come up with new content to stretch that out even further.

I don't feel that way, I gave Exploration a go after last year's enhancements but ultimately felt there were glass walls and the tools gave you no real chance to find anything new.
All I came away with was a frustration of not being able to do stuff, a desire to do not to see. With an added frustration of long distance travel being some mind numbingly dull, repetitive and generally pointless in that it adds zero gameplay value. I do like Elite don't get misunderstand me I just think Frontier have give players the tools like some software engineering project and not thought enough about the gameplay, the entertainment which ok can be subjective but its not a reason to do nothing.

Top Bottom