PVP vs. PVE

Not.
I am for there to be no separation in the game on PVE and PVP.
Is it a PVP session or all such MMOs?
Why are NPC ships so light in battle? Why are people and the NPC (hollow square) separated on the radar?
etc.
Why in a secure secure system when support arrives they can not kill all the gankers?
Is it difficult to track in which mode the player? solo or open? Why not open the NPC in 10 times more complicated?

You will always get 'separation' between PvE and PvP.

AI is not able to replicate player thought processes yet etc. And when you do bump up the AI (has been done previously in ED ) you get a lot of people complaining as it's now 'too hard' for them so it gets dumbed down again...

The player base is often it's own worst enemy in this instances as you will not get them all to agree, hence the separation between the playstyles.

Bottom line is in OPEN one is mandated to either learn how to fight or one has to learn how to run. At some point one learns that they have to do both. At that point the words in a song by Kenny Roger's come to mind. One has to learn when to hold'em and learn when to fold'em. If not, then the ONLY other alternative is SOLO or private mode.

You will always get 'separation' between PvE and PvP.

AI is not able to replicate player thought processes yet etc. And when you do bump up the AI (has been done previously in ED ) you get a lot of people complaining as it's now 'too hard' for them so it gets dumbed down again...

The player base is often it's own worst enemy in this instances as you will not get them all to agree, hence the separation between the playstyles.
So the game already has a division! This is open and solo. Why do we need another separation?

There only 3 reasons to play open:
1) Ganking and/or griefing/trolling random people.
2) If you want “additional thrill” or “more adrenaline” from the fact you may be killed at any moment without any reason at all.
3) If you want to “look tough” (because “solo for weaklings” and all that nonsense) so you have to play mode not suited for your playstyle.

For anything else, there are 2 other modes.

2) If you want “additional thrill” or “more adrenaline” from the fact you may be killed at any moment without any reason at all.
3) If you want to “look tough” (because “solo for weaklings” and all that nonsense) so you have to play mode not suited for your playstyle.

I'm probably wrong, but in my opinion there are still people who want to play an open game to team up with random people in space and tell them about о7. Cooperative mode.
What YOU described is only a hostile cosmos, but I think that this should not be so.

You are so wrong, Good Sir.
My positive encounters far outweigh any negative ones. There is way more team work or just chatting going on than the forums make you believe.
I can't remember how many times I had to loop around because I missed my exit do to chatting with other CMDRs.

Cooperative mode.
Moebius? :)
My positive encounters far outweigh any negative ones. There is way more team work or just chatting going on than the forums make you believe.
I can't remember how many times I had to loop around because I missed my exit do to chatting with other CMDRs.
Personal experiences may differ.

I not played in open for the last 2-3 years, so I may be completely wrong how it works now.
In year or so I seen ONE case when CMDR (novice who wanted to learn game basics) addressed me without hostile intentions.
Sometimes (rarely) seen “o7 CMDRs” in area chat.
Around 80-90% people not “interacted” in any way (ignored me or high-waked when met).
And others tried to kill me, either by engaging in fight (which is normal) or by “meta ways” (such as ramming by shieldless Eagle inside station).

What I can remember about open – rammings in mailslot, blocades at populated systems in order to kill everyone who cannot defend themselves or run away, hunting novices and explorers.
Because “mining salt”, “noobs need to learn”, “elite is DANGEROUS”.

EDIT:
Main problem: for me it is boring from either perspective.

Playing the game while constantly keeping in mind to have high-wake target ready, paying attention to ping spikes for early detection of CMDRs in instance. And all of that to do same things as in solo, just with added hassle.

Or running in highly specialized killing machine which is not suitable for anything except combat. Constantly trying to get into a fight. And seeing most peaceful people (who are “potential candidates” for positive interactions) high-wake as soon as they notice PvP-fitted FDL nearby.

I think open mode is “not my cup of tea”. I accepted it, switched for solo/private and enjoyed the game ever since.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I was getting complacent anyway. I'll go to a RES to satisfy my kill urge it had just been awhile out in the black since I'd been jumped making money....not again;)

I wouldn't mission run out of Shinrarta at all. There's no benefit there you can't get elsewhere. The risk is huge compared to other areas of the Bubble.
Yeah, basically this. Most encounters I have with other players are cordial, casual chats. I met a guy from a new PMF that just got added to the game one jump over from my home system, we got talking. Nice guy. If someone wants to base their entire impression of the galaxy on "I wanna go the elite station that has all the outfitting and a ton of player traffic" then pull the surprised pikachu face when the gankers show up in the most fertile fishing grounds in the game then I don't know what to say.

There are many, many, many smaller player-hubs in this game that aren't big enough to attract ganker traffic but still see a decent number of hollow squares, but not enough to make it worthwhile for the murderhoboes. Best of all, the regulars in those places are a short enough list that you can actually get to know them.

Yeah, basically this. Most encounters I have with other players are cordial, casual chats. I met a guy from a new PMF that just got added to the game one jump over from my home system, we got talking. Nice guy. If someone wants to base their entire impression of the galaxy on "I wanna go the elite station that has all the outfitting and a ton of player traffic" then pull the surprised pikachu face when the gankers show up in the most fertile fishing grounds in the game then I don't know what to say.

There are many, many, many smaller player-hubs in this game that aren't big enough to attract ganker traffic but still see a decent number of hollow squares, but not enough to make it worthwhile for the murderhoboes. Best of all, the regulars in those places are a short enough list that you can actually get to know them.
find out and put in a ban list :( What is the point of such an open game?

4) Because it's rude to play BGS/PP without the opposing players having a chance to ever see you.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
4) Because it's rude to play BGS/PP without the opposing players having a chance to ever see you.
.... not even slightly in a game where the BGS and Powerplay are features for all players and only a subset of players enjoy PvP. PvP that is entirely optional in this game and has been from the outset - just as any player can shoot at anything they instance with, no player needs to choose to instance with them..

Last edited:
.... not even slightly in a game where the BGS and Powerplay are features for all players and only a subset of players enjoy PvP. PvP that is entirely optional in this game and has been from the outset - just as any player can shoot at anything they instance with, no player needs to choose to instance with them..
Even if those players run to solo/PG ONLY if they encounter opposition? It's basically open PVE style, i wish ED have 2 modes and parallel galaxies, but without transfering assets at will.

Top Bottom