Notice GalNet changes

instead of investing in a narrative that requires spoon feeding and hand-holding to progress ...i'd rather they cut their losses and just focus on creating narrative that follows player activity and enact that actiity into the deeper background story...wherever that story takes us. So players are proactive in the direction and creation of the narrative ...rather than reactive to whatever fdev has decided to push in the last update.

That would make potentially everything everyone does part of the ongoing narrative instead of the current way, which is almost nothing matters to the narrative anyone does except the specific few things that can trigger or discover the content for the narrative that was added.
That would require them to spend money.

Some of you..sadly seem so jaded... my gosh its a game people. A very good game. People need to get their expectations under control.

...Jaded? Probably.

1. The September 2019 Update that took till almost November '19 to fix --just to make sure FDEV got ARX in the game.
2. The FC Delay (x2) with its last postponement coming from the excuse FDEV needed time to fix stuff-- the majority of which coming from things they broke or had neglected to patch (some for years.)
3. And then, Galnet -- where when this thread started FDEV said (paraphrase): {we are only going to post in-game stuff.} However which when combined with maintenance mode means {we ain't posting anything (for now).}
4. FDEV, when they decide to communicate their decisions, spins the bottle and picks one of these phrases:
a: We don't have the time. We are working on next era.
b: We don't have the personnel. We are working on next era.
c. We aren't really interested in that right now. We are working on next era.
d. We don't have anything else to say. We are working on next era.

Jaded?

The original "leak" posted on 4chan from a while ago, which has been proved accurate several times over, did state that FDev's "focus is on keeping ED making money" for the time being and that there's would be nothing much between now (14/04/2019) and the space legs update (Q4 2020). In this regard, releasing new stuff in the ARX shop is to be expected and I'm starting to doubt we'll actually see FC soon. Otherwise they'd be teasing something to build hype and possibly get a couple hundred sales.

Tinfoil hat suggested for further reading;
IF, and this one's sadly quite a big "if", the New Era update does come out this year, they should start teasing it at some point. Getting hard to believe they have nothing to share in order to build hype and attract new customers if everything was alright with the development. It's not like it's a mystery what the update will be, nor that it will be something revolutionary.

If it has been indeed under construction for such a long time as FDev claimed it is, the update should have some aspects finished by now, or at least in testing stage. I can't imagine they are still in early phases of development so that they need all their writers and nobody were available to keep on GalNet running.

In the worst case, one could imagine they are not showing anything regarding FC nor the New Era because they have not yet decided if FC will be released together with a bugfix patch, as stated in their live streams, or if they will simply merge FC with New Era. I doubt that's the case, but it does explain why we are getting zero trailers, teasers, not even screenshots of this new feature.

Under the impression that the next paid update is going to have the personal carrier as part of the purchase to doll it up. It'll essentially be your 'home' in space, and go along with space legs as the one locale that you will actually walk around in and can observe your 'base' and fleet of ships. Assuming further interior customization options and the ability to add particular services. It'd be the closest thing to you having your own station, and may support other commanders visiting and docking with the carrier; functioning as a lobby of sorts. Unknown what else it could feature beyond that, but I do imagine it would be a focal point of the DLC (who doesn't want their own 'home', as opposed to calling a station home by way of maxing out rep at one and having all your stuff parked there).

The thing is Vap... your life should not revolve around the developments of this game... You have other things in your world that keep you paid and give your joy.
You don't spend hours behind the keyboard trying to build some that will have the "Money's growin' like grass with the mass appeal"...

The developers are the ones who's life does revolve around this game. Some of them have invested more years than some of us have been alive
into to this project. I mean can't we as consumers cut them some slack if things don't meet our personal expectations?
What loss is it to us?

We can turn the game off, come back, Get a patch and be happy again.. its just that simple.
Why people lose there sauce over games is mind blowing.

I want this team to makes alls the moneys ..why? because I like the cut of their gib! And I really like their work product.
And the stuff they are planning and the things the hardware and bandwidth will allow them to do sounds fascinating .

All we have to do is go in there...chill everybody out.. and Wait for the Wolf!

...Jaded? Probably.

1. The September 2019 Update that took till almost November '19 to fix --just to make sure FDEV got ARX in the game.
2. The FC Delay (x2) with its last postponement coming from the excuse FDEV needed time to fix stuff-- the majority of which coming from things they broke or had neglected to patch (some for years.)
3. And then, Galnet -- where when this thread started FDEV said (paraphrase): {we are only going to post in-game stuff.} However which when combined with maintenance mode means {we ain't posting anything (for now).}
4. FDEV, when they decide to communicate their decisions, spins the bottle and picks one of these phrases:
a: We don't have the time. We are working on next era.
b: We don't have the personnel. We are working on next era.
c. We aren't really interested in that right now. We are working on next era.
d. We don't have anything else to say. We are working on next era.

Jaded?

this is a new era ! F1 racing with vrs
its an interesting one.... I would think they are making it with the hope at least that it will be better than existing motorsport management games.

AS i understand it, Motorsport manager has heaps of content including updates for new rosters each year etc..... Its not a game i am interested in (tho if i gave it a go i may get hooked)

but AFAIK Frontier have got a pretty high bar to try to beat.

So, they are slowly ditching the Elite: Dangerous and say "we are too busy on the content", but they still manage to create a new game? Instead of fixing the issues pointed by the community and MAINTAIN said community?

There are no words in my dictionary at the moment that aren't swearing.

Don't get me wrong. I love Elite: Dangerous. There is no other game that connects actual astrophysics with fun - while keeping it to be a reasonable and logic built - I had been having for the past years. But... This isn't something that makes me really happy with the way Frontier Developments goes right now. GalNet articles aren't that big. I could write that stuff even in my spare time. For free. Because I love what kind of setting and universe ED is.

The thing is Vap... your life should not revolve around the developments of this game... You have other things in your world that keep you paid and give your joy.
You don't spend hours behind the keyboard trying to build some that will have the "Money's growin' like grass with the mass appeal"...

It's not our live revolves around the game. It's more we want to spend time nicely with a game that's is not sidetracked for sake of other games. There is no other game than Elite Dangerous in sense of scale and actual IMMERSION. And that's why I play ED: to dwelve into another world for an hour, two, a couple - away from the daily problems and stress.

We can always go back to Elite: First Frontier. But, what's the point behind that?

Last edited:
To look on th e bright side of life, each new game is an oportunity to have more content inside Elite dangerous.
All their game are made with the same cobra engine. That means they have to had new fonctionalyties to the core engine, new physic models (athmopheric, weather etc...) Just look on what they did for jurassic world. If they are able to create earth like environment to breed dinausores with the same engine that make ship flying in ED, athmospheric flight is just one step away. We can speculate that landing an ASP explorer on an planete with living creatures it's competely possible.
With a game that will use atmospheric driving for F1, we can expect great race all arround the galaxy...

To look on th e bright side of life, each new game is an oportunity to have more content inside Elite dangerous.
All their game are made with the same cobra engine. That means they have to had new fonctionalyties to the core engine, new physic models (athmopheric, weather etc...) Just look on what they did for jurassic world. If they are able to create earth like environment to breed dinausores with the same engine that make ship flying in ED, athmospheric flight is just one step away. We can speculate that landing an ASP explorer on an planete with living creatures it's competely possible.
With a game that will use atmospheric driving for F1, we can expect great race all arround the galaxy...
On the other hand, each new game is an opportunity to pull resources away from ED to make more money off of newer customers from a much less niche game genre. If racing game brings in loads more money in than space game, which game do you think they will focus that new money towards? Obviously the more profitable one, right?

The developers are the ones who's life does revolve around this game. Some of them have invested more years than some of us have been alive
into to this project. I mean can't we as consumers cut them some slack if things don't meet our personal expectations?
What loss is it to us?

We can turn the game off, come back, Get a patch and be happy again.. its just that simple.
Why people lose there sauce over games is mind blowing.

I want this team to makes alls the moneys ..why? because I like the cut of their gib! And I really like their work product.
And the stuff they are planning and the things the hardware and bandwidth will allow them to do sounds fascinating .

All we have to do is go in there...chill everybody out.. and Wait for the Wolf!

As a consumer, I don't cut a lot of slack... if a product will not meet my expectations I don't buy it. I have a life that "keeps me paid and gives me joy," but it involves a job that doesn't make money quite as fast a trip to Borran in my LTD miner. So when a product I have purchased doesn't meet my expectation I am very hesitant with doing future business with that provider. When changes to a product make it less useful or less entertaining, I am reluctant to purchase additional products from the same seller.

If you think those who have been discussing the ramifications Galnet changes since August of last year are "losing our sauce," I think you misunderstand the overall intent of this thread. When you enter this thread after several others have commented for months on whether or not the reduction of Galnet is a good idea, and then to see what happens when the decision to reduce Galnet posting couples with the removal of CGs and IIs -- and your comment is "ya'll are jaded" and to "chill," I wonder if you've read it all, or are aware of the context at which many of the posts derived. I think you misunderstand, most here are more tired than they are upset. If all I wanted to do was "lose my sauce" I'd go outside and swing an axe at some firewood, or find the little "X" icon at the top of this browser tab and push it and load up ED and go ram my clipper repeatedly into the back of a coriolis station. Many (granted not all) here since August tried to discuss the issues around changes to Galnet in rational, thoughtful ways, with little outward response from the developers upon "who's life does revolve around the game."

FDEV has made a game I find much enjoyment with playing, as I know you and most others here would in principle, agree.
I too like the "cut of their gib," I'm just not sure FDEV always takes heart to the ways the winds are blowing.

Respectfully, 07

No for sure I did not read 39 pages of text. I did skim over a few pages to get the pulse of the discord.
Yes...I did target your post as I am pretty sure it summed up the thread based on my scan.

I think what trips me out is that people lose the context of what it is we are doing. And that is gaming.
For the money you paid and the hours of fun you got out of that money you paid for this game... I am sure you got your money's worth....yes?

You also have every right to feel how you feel. Please make no mistake. I am not challenging you on that point. My challenge is that of your point of view.
As well as to show that a game devs cannot, nor should they even try to make those unwilling to be happy, happy. It a waste of effort.

Blanket statements condemning a decision about process just seems out of place when your are not one of the people sitting at the boardroom table.

The point of my post was to make a point that people are will never people happy. Even in your post you used I a lot.. but what if the devs when they made there decision used WE... and at the end of their round table they said. Yes, We Agree. We trumps I in the grand scheme my friend.

That has to account for something.. something like the greater good of the project.

No for sure I did not read 39 pages of text. I did skim over a few pages to get the pulse of the discord.
Yes...I did target your post as I am pretty sure it summed up the thread based on my scan.

I think what trips me out is that people lose the context of what it is we are doing. And that is gaming.
For the money you paid and the hours of fun you got out of that money you paid for this game... I am sure you got your money's worth....yes?

You also have every right to feel how you feel. Please make no mistake. I am not challenging you on that point. My challenge is that of your point of view.
As well as to show that a game devs cannot, nor should they even try to make those unwilling to be happy, happy. It a waste of effort.

Blanket statements condemning a decision about process just seems out of place when your are not one of the people sitting at the boardroom table.

The point of my post was to make a point that people are will never people happy. Even in your post you used I a lot.. but what if the devs when they made there decision used WE... and at the end of their round table they said. Yes, We Agree. We trumps I in the grand scheme my friend.

That has to account for something.. something like the greater good of the project.

Then read 39 pages...

I don't speak for others on this forum, so "I" choose not to say "We" when giving my personal opinion. There has been enough people saying "we" lately within the spat of open letters.

I can be happy and still strongly disagree with things: ex: FDEVs decisions, and your opinion of me.

This is not contributing to a discussion of Galnet changes. I'm leaving it at this.

Some of you..sadly seem so jaded... my gosh its a game people. A very good game. People need to get their expectations under control.
Being jaded is literally the definition of getting your expectations under control. We have our expectations under control; ergo we are jaded. One paragraph of plaintext per week is unrealistic and overly ambitious for a game like Elite: Dangerous. We have learned not to expect more than that.

"It's just a game" isn't an excuse if someone is not happy with the track of his favourite setting going basically down the drain. I'm a fiction writer myself, a semi-hobbyist. But after a decade of tracking various plots of many things, developing my own plots and reading through plenty of the fiction regardless of the genre, the issue is that Elite: Dangerous is somewhat stagnated when it comes to "lore development". Even if there was something minimal, GalNet provided some fluff that actually reminded you ED isn't rolling around yourself but you are just that small cog in Deus Ex Machina a bigger machine. One of the aspects that makes your immersion into game "real".

Note what I wrote right now is something that comes from the player who has always been saying "you are the plot, don't whine about lack of some campaign-like storyline". But even people like me have their limits.

You see, Elite: Dangerous doesn't have a rival when it comes to a game such like this. Many tried, a lot withdrawn, only a few succeded and I may risk a statement that only ED gained so much attention and success - and now there is something wrong going on with it. Space simulations, especially of such a scale, are a very niche but still horribly popular among the people who love them. Some of us cannot just "move on" from ED, if that's the only available altenative to many players who aren't interested into arcade space shooters, point and click command-your-ship or the projects that will never come out from constant Alpha status.

ED isn't just your typical Chinese restaurant which can be "easily" replaced by going to another one if you feel that the kitchen worsened.

Last edited:
Top Bottom