Notice GalNet changes

"It's just a game" isn't an excuse if someone is not happy with the track of his favourite setting going basically down the drain. I'm a fiction writer myself, a semi-hobbyist. But after a decade of tracking various plots of many things, developing my own plots and reading through plenty of the fiction regardless of the genre, the issue is that Elite: Dangerous is somewhat stagnated when it comes to "lore development". Even if there was something minimal, GalNet provided some fluff that actually reminded you ED isn't rolling around yourself but you are just that small cog in Deus Ex Machina. One of the aspects that makes your immersion into game "real".

You do know that 'Deus Ex Machina' is just another way of saying 'with a bound he was free' right? A fancy term for a hackneyed plot device used to get writers out of situations into which they have painted themselves? It literally means 'God from the machine (or a machine, if you prefer), and comes originally from Greek tragedies where an actor playing a God would be either craned, or stage-lifted (the machine) on-set to proclaim the special circumstances necessary to get the plot either moving again, or successfully resolved.

I apologise - it's just the mis-and-overuse of the term really grinds my gears, so, yeah. Just saying.

Screenshot_20200311-015218.png

You do know that 'Deus Ex Machina' is just another way of saying 'with a bound he was free' right? A fancy term for a hackneyed plot device used to get writers out of situations into which they have painted themselves? It literally means 'God from the machine (or a machine, if you prefer), and comes originally from Greek tragedies where an actor playing a God would be either craned, or stage-lifted (the machine) on-set to proclaim the special circumstances necessary to get the plot either moving again, or successfully resolved.

I apologise - it's just the mis-and-overuse of the term really grinds my gears, so, yeah. Just saying.

It was like late hours for me and I just realized I tried to use two different things since there's a very similiar sounding term in Polish and I ended up with using one phrase with definition of the other's. Thanks for the heads up. Original post of mine has been edited to correct that mistake.

You have to know it's more than that right?? I am pretty sure there is a database that has generated the stats that some one has to compile with a tool that interpolate that into something that makes sense of the metrics and then generate a creative story to make it so.
That is way more than It's just a...kinda thing.

Also the devs gave their reasons..reasons based on factors that you may not and should not be privy too...I am sure we all can agree on that.

Again my point is that is sad to see grown folk whine of small things like games. We do these things for one reason fun.
Not everything can or should go your way.

And it should not be upsetting to anyone if someone disagrees. Even if that someone is the developers.

I am not upset with any of you for liking with you like.
But it looks silly and sad to read what I did read out of the 39 pages and the disparaging comments toward the devs because
you can't have that thing... a thing they gave reason for not giving.

Its like when people don't get their way... the project that they loved one day... is now in the loo and no one should respect the devs
and the devs are the worst and have created the worst thing to ever exist.

I would be nice if folk could chill and deal!

Being jaded is literally the definition of getting your expectations under control. We have our expectations under control; ergo we are jaded. One paragraph of plaintext per week is unrealistic and overly ambitious for a game like Elite: Dangerous. We have learned not to expect more than that.

Last edited:
Hi Nkizo,

you should check out SCP Foundation.. that may allow you to explore that writing space.
Reading what you wrote is most interesting.

Its like you put your "thing you dig the most" in the hands of people that you don't know... people who's passions may not align with your own.
Not sure that's all that wise.

You are responsible for your own fun. You have to take that back if you have giving it away.

Do you take in consideration what others may see as a higher priority?
Do you know where their passions lay?

Do you understand they are trying to create something with broad appeal?

Do you understand how hard a business game development is?

Reading what you think this Game is is also very interesting... But stripping away all the stuff you compared it to...
Elite is simply a game. That people with disposable income have the ability to buy play and enjoy.

I get what you are conveying that an element you and others find important is not a priority.
I have to ask, Why is so easy for you an others to discount the developers concerns and question their decision on the matter?

Do their concerns count or are yours the only concerns that matter.

Not a hostile question in any way by the way.

"It's just a game" isn't an excuse if someone is not happy with the track of his favourite setting going basically down the drain. I'm a fiction writer myself, a semi-hobbyist. But after a decade of tracking various plots of many things, developing my own plots and reading through plenty of the fiction regardless of the genre, the issue is that Elite: Dangerous is somewhat stagnated when it comes to "lore development". Even if there was something minimal, GalNet provided some fluff that actually reminded you ED isn't rolling around yourself but you are just that small cog in Deus Ex Machina a bigger machine. One of the aspects that makes your immersion into game "real".

Note what I wrote right now is something that comes from the player who has always been saying "you are the plot, don't whine about lack of some campaign-like storyline". But even people like me have their limits.

You see, Elite: Dangerous doesn't have a rival when it comes to a game such like this. Many tried, a lot withdrawn, only a few succeded and I may risk a statement that only ED gained so much attention and success - and now there is something wrong going on with it. Space simulations, especially of such a scale, are a very niche but still horribly popular among the people who love them. Some of us cannot just "move on" from ED, if that's the only available altenative to many players who aren't interested into arcade space shooters, point and click command-your-ship or the projects that will never come out from constant Alpha status.

ED isn't just your typical Chinese restaurant which can be "easily" replaced by going to another one if you feel that the kitchen worsened.

Last edited:
Hi Nkizo,

you should check out SCP Foundation.. that may allow you to explore that writing space.
Reading what you wrote is most interesting.

Its like you put your "thing you dig the most" in the hands of people that you don't know... people who's passions may not align with your own.
Not sure that's all that wise.

You are responsible for your own fun. You have to take that back if you have giving it away.

Do you take in consideration what others may see as a higher priority?
Do you know where their passions lay?

Do you understand they are trying to create something with broad appeal?

Do you understand how hard a business game development is?

Reading what you think this Game is is also very interesting... But stripping away all the stuff you compared it to...
Elite is simply a game. That people with disposable income have the ability to buy play and enjoy.

I get what you are conveying that an element you and others find important is not a priority.
I have to ask, Why is so easy for you an others to discount the developers concerns and question their decision on the matter?

Do their concerns count or are yours the only concerns that matter.

Not a hostile question in any way by the way.

I used to get paid to write, but that was before computers. :(

Now, I paid others to write things for me, and they don't anymore, even though I'm willing to buy.. Waiting for the sequels is taking too long, and I'm looking at reading other things.

The alternative is fanfic, and I can write that myself. I don't want to inflict that on others. :)

You have to know it's more than that right?? I am pretty sure there is a database that has generated the stats that some one has to compile with a tool that interpolate that into something that makes sense of the metrics and then generate a creative story to make it so.
That is way more than It's just a...kinda thing.

Also the devs gave their reasons..reasons based on factors that you may not and should not be privy too...I am sure we all can agree on that.

Again my point is that is sad to see grown folk whine of small things like games. We do these things for one reason fun.
Not everything can or should go your way.

And it should not be upsetting to anyone if someone disagrees. Even if that someone is the developers.

I am not upset with any of you for liking with you like.
But it looks silly and sad to read what I did read out of the 39 pages and the disparaging comments toward the devs because
you can't have that thing... a thing they gave reason for not giving.

Its like when people don't get their way... the project that they loved one day... is now in the loo and no one should respect the devs
and the devs are the worst and have created the worst thing to ever exist.

I would be nice if folk could chill and deal!
OH I HAD NO IDEA THAT ONE PARAGRAPH OF PLAINTEXT PER WEEK WAS SO COMPLICATED! Thank you for explaining all that! Sounds like it REALLY REALLY IS too much to ask. I guess I better adjust my expectations accordingly:

WOW, it is absolutely AMAZING that Frontier ever at all even for any stretch of time in the past was able to keep Galnet running in the form of One Plaintext Paragraph Per Week! The fact that they managed to do this for YEARS with such a tiny staff of less than 400 people is a monumental achievement, and it's really quite unfair (and unrealistic!) of us to expect that they would have the resources to continue such a herculean and clearly unsustainable task.

I for one am grateful that Galnet is now a dead empty page, because with the considerable resources freed up from no longer having to produce One Paragraph of Plaintext Per Week, they'll finally be able to add space legs, atmospheric landings, comets, and ice planets to the game.

The only thing holding them back up to this point was the ongoing overhead cost of producing One Paragraph of Plaintext Per Week. With this previously insurmountable obstacle removed, the sky - no The Galaxy - is the limit!

Well since that chage was made, it was clear its only for Frontier to drop story writings.
As of now there a no storys or news in Galnet, its totally empty for weeks now.
Even worse, the old entrys are gone aswell. A new player might wondering for what GalNet is and will find it useless, because there is nothing.
So there is no background story anymore, reders the whole game as a sandbox flight simulator game without story.
Instead of getting new content we loose content here and there.
There is no evolving existig content ( CQC, powerplay, multiplayer and Multycrew ).
What did change ? Exporing a bit i can now scan every planet without flying to it. That chage was mostly made because most ppl did not bother spending hours to scan the whole system and just leave the system with the honk. However if you want better scans and mapping then u still need to fly there (nothing really changed).

Mining have gotten additional methods to mine, great then again the old mining way is better to me. Less weapon slots used, less time spend to find and gain stuff.
But hey you can at least do it different.

Its really sad to see if you play this game for so long already.

Well since that chage was made, it was clear its only for Frontier to drop story writings.
As of now there a no storys or news in Galnet, its totally empty for weeks now.
Even worse, the old entrys are gone aswell. A new player might wondering for what GalNet is and will find it useless, because there is nothing.
So there is no background story anymore, reders the whole game as a sandbox flight simulator game without story.
Instead of getting new content we loose content here and there.
There is no evolving existig content ( CQC, powerplay, multiplayer and Multycrew ).
What did change ? Exporing a bit i can now scan every planet without flying to it. That chage was mostly made because most ppl did not bother spending hours to scan the whole system and just leave the system with the honk. However if you want better scans and mapping then u still need to fly there (nothing really changed).

Mining have gotten additional methods to mine, great then again the old mining way is better to me. Less weapon slots used, less time spend to find and gain stuff.
But hey you can at least do it different.

Its really sad to see if you play this game for so long already.

*lose

My hope is that after the release of the Big End-Of-Year Update, the team will be reunited, and they will bring the game back to life. Hopefully their plans go on beyond the release of that update. I like to think so. If that's the case, I'll be here.

If I'm wrong, well, nothing lasts forever. I'll look back on this as one of the finest gaming experiences of my life. Warts and all.

Top Bottom