General / Off-Topic Let's settle this once and for all .... Is The Earth .... Flat?

I believe that the Earth is not flat because there isn't an iron big enough to smooth out all of the creases and wrinkles!
Fun Fact (from Neil DeGrasse Tyson) If you scaled a snooker/pool/billiards ball up to the size of the Earth (or the Earth down to the size of a snooker/billiards/pool ball), the Earth would be much much smoother than the snooker/pool/billiards ball.

Fun Fact (from Neil DeGrasse Tyson) If you scaled a snooker/pool/billiards ball up to the size of the Earth (or the Earth down to the size of a snooker/billiards/pool ball), the Earth would be much much smoother than the snooker/pool/billiards ball.

Why did you start this thread? Your adoring public wants to know.

Clearly just to get us all going around and around

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpmTe3TDdVU

giphy.gif

Flat?

First you have to define, what 'flat' is. "Having a level surface, without raised areas, or indentations."

Well looking out the window and seeing all those hills etc, it would appear, that the Earth, is far from being, Flat. Water is also another way to disprove the 'Flat earth theory'; because as we all know, water will always move downwards and does so all of the time.

So there is no question about it. The Earth is definitely, 100% not Flat.

Why did you start this thread? Your adoring public wants to know.
First, I don't have any adoring public on this forum, you all hate me.
As to why I started this thread, I wanted to go through all the reasons people think the Earth is flat, all the "evidence" they have, and try to (with your help) disprove it all.As I said, I am very firmly in the round-Earth camp, but I like to entertain a discussion, and just because someone may be convinced the Earth is a flat shape, does not mean they won't be on this forum, and if they are, I was hoping we could have said discussion .... I still cling to the belief that a flat Earth believer could convince me I am wrong in my belief of a spherical Earth.

First, I don't have any adoring public on this forum, you all hate me.
As to why I started this thread, I wanted to go through all the reasons people think the Earth is flat, all the "evidence" they have, and try to (with your help) disprove it all.As I said, I am very firmly in the round-Earth camp, but I like to entertain a discussion, and just because someone may be convinced the Earth is a flat shape, does not mean they won't be on this forum, and if they are, I was hoping we could have said discussion .... I still cling to the belief that a flat Earth believer could convince me I am wrong in my belief of a spherical Earth.

I don't hate you. I'd have to know you first.

I'd recommend searching for forums that clearly support a flat Earth hypothesis. This forum is primarily about Frontier's games so who knows what you'll get here. And frankly, the theory is so breathtakingly stupid I'd be surprised if you find much beyond viscous mockery anywhere but their sad, cretinous enclaves.

I am firmly in the sphere-Earth camp, but I do find it interesting how those who believe in a flat Earth actually manage to do experiments to prove the Earth is flat and either prove it's round or fail to understand where they went wrong.
The most interesting part is when they steadfastly refuse to accept their glaring mistakes. Doesn't help that the more "prominent" figures in that camp are conmen who do know better.

If the earth is round, how come you can fit a picture of it on a FLAT computer screen? That's not how shapes work! You can't put a ball into a piece of paper, even if it's an electronic one!

I guess you need at least 1 person to take the contrary point of view, but there don't appear to be any volunteers currently.
I think he's picked the wrong Forum, we are all Star Ship commanders flying from one planet to another throughout this virtual universe and I have yet to see a flat planet, but it's an idea for Frontier for one of there exciting updates, flat planets that make pancakes for delivery to 3D worlds, it could be a great credit earner, sarcasm is a wonderfull thing. To the OP, try a different Forum kiddo please..

Now, the Earth must be flat, right? I mean, I look out of my window and it looks flat, so therefore, logically it must be.

Look at the sunset, the wibble effect you sometimes see where it vanishes from sight is light being refracted from below the horizon by the temperature inversion layers. If the world was flat you'd see more world there instead.

That's also how mirages and UFO's are created.

But if the Earth was a sphere, why do maps draw it as flat?

We make maps flat because we draw them in 2d, they can be folded easily and they are compatible with things like tables. If you look at maps of the Arctic/Antarctic they are almost triangular as that's where they come together to form the top and bottom of the oblate spheroid. The only countries with no maps that have snipped edges to form the sphere (of varying degrees sometimes its very minor) are on the equator where its not so pronounced.

Edit : and obviously really big maps that show the whole thing are globes.

Last edited:
There's also "Thanks" Bob Knodel who had people buy a 20000 USD ring laser gyroscope which they turned on and immediately picked up the spin of the Earth. Which then went on a documentary.
I watch SciManDan on Youtube a lot, and it was funny when he found out about the gyroscope :D

Top Bottom