I'm Confused, I thought we were getting fleet carriers, not a trading post

As the title says, I'm confused. I was expecting more info about carrying a fleet.

But the core of the announcement seems to focus on trade, debt and upkeep.
"manage your carrier's finances by setting tariffs and adjusting the buying and selling prices for commodities traded in it's market "

I was intending to get 10's of thousands of light years away from humans, this suggests it may not be possible due to the need to grind upkeep via markets?

Could FD confirm that I don't have to trade to own a carrier?

It is not clear at this time how exactly it is going to work but it sounds like trading is one of the options available to owner in order to keep up with maintenance of the fleet carrier. If you have another source of income (exploration, combat, etc) sufficient to keep your FC running then you don't have to worry about trading. If you not making enough money and over some reasonable period of time you accumulate too much of a debt your fleet carrier going to be repossessed by the bank. This is how I see it.

As I think it is meant to work:
Players gather and sell materials and commodities on the carrier. They gather in the local carrier bars or restaurants for conventions and trade negotiations for price, tariffs and diplomatic missions. If war or piracy is on the list of things we can do, then carriers can be used as battle stations.

The commodities accumulates on the carrier and as such, these commodities can be traded by NPC and players alike. Tariffs will make trade low if high, and will make it high if low. A balance is needed and the placement of the carrier for trading will be strategic and tactical, meaning that a system might be too small for two carriers to compete.... which means conflict between carriers.

Some carriers will be used for exploration and will accumulate huge amount of alien and valuable commodities. When these 'mothaload' carriers enter civilization again, they will be a dream and a nightmare for traders. Releasing so much surplus valuables that prices will plummet. But it will make the owner rich.

It is not clear at this time how exactly it is going to work but it sounds like trading is one of the options available to owner in order to keep up with maintenance of the fleet carrier. If you have another source of income (exploration, combat, etc) sufficient to keep your FC running then you don't have to worry about trading. If you not making enough money and over some reasonable period of time you accumulate too much of a debt your fleet carrier going to be repossessed by the bank. This is how I see it.
"Market" implies buyers and sellers. I just wonder who these buyers and sellers would be. I have trouble seeing NPCs doing it for that would require additional eco sim improvement. And I don't see enough players at a given time at given location rushing in to use the market. And once maybe a couple of spots are identified where you can skim players to trade, there will be a dozen other carriers trying the same thing.

Well I have no use for a Market or Trade as an explorer, so IF we are still getting an exploration carrier and selling data at my carrier pays the carrier rent then I guess I'll be able to use one?

If however, I need to rely on trade and a market, or have to fly the ruddy thing back to the bubble to pay rent before it explodes then I can't see how a exploration carrier would be viable.

As the title says, I'm confused. I was expecting more info about carrying a fleet.

But the core of the announcement seems to focus on trade, debt and upkeep.
"manage your carrier's finances by setting tariffs and adjusting the buying and selling prices for commodities traded in it's market "

I was intending to get 10's of thousands of light years away from humans, this suggests it may not be possible due to the need to grind upkeep via markets?

Could FD confirm that I don't have to trade to own a carrier?
This has the hallmarks of a "whiney thread" knowing that only sketchy details have been issued so far. We know when the details will be fleshed out in the 'live' stream and there is a thread devoted to asking FD questions about the carriers already.

Not sure who can repo something when you own it?

Having a decommissioned large hunk of junk adrift somewhere out in the black actually sounds kind of appealing to me for some strange reason.

Emergent game-play, I guess. Looking for more of that sort of thing from this game, not so much dotting the Is and crossing the Ts, as it were.

Oh well, to each their own.

To be honest I find the whole notion of having a commodity market aboard a fleet carrier very weird. It's starting to look like the early predictions of FC being a mobile station menu. But we don't have the whole picture yet, we'll know in a couple weeks.

I really hope it’s npc based. In the only other game I’ve seen individual guild (or player) markets, eso, they’re very crap.

If there was a bgs influenced / influencing passive income game that would be best.

The other option is for engineering mats between players, but then how is each sale going to be more effective than a reddit giveaway? Player economies via these things is just asking to be crap, as it is in eso.

Player owned stations in effect, probably. For those that want to use it for that. For those who want to go exploring, it's probably balanced differently. We don't know.

Well I have no use for a Market or Trade as an explorer, so IF we are still getting an exploration carrier and selling data at my carrier pays the carrier rent then I guess I'll be able to use one?

If however, I need to rely on trade and a market, or have to fly the ruddy thing back to the bubble to pay rent before it explodes then I can't see how a exploration carrier would be viable.

There's probably gonna be a joint effort to station carriers at key points in the galaxy.
Acting as small hubs for explorers and miners.

Maybe FD introduces a new alien race(s) who come in droves to trade their trinkets and tech to support hapless explorers 🤔😄

Good chance I'll elect to not get them. It's nice having options at least.
But it is a bit sad, if a main feature of an update fades to meaningless optionality. Sure the price tag makes it not available for everyone (from the start). But when even is not considered a goal to achive for most people, why waste thousands of hours development time to it? Especially since ED is far from a complete and polished game.

Top Bottom