What is so good about fleet carriers ?

I don't get it, or understand where these fit in with the Elite lore.
Elite's roots are as a single commander making his way in the Galaxy and along the way you make your own narrative. not as a commander commanding the type of large (imaginary) crew that a vessel of this size would need.
What will these carriers bring that will add to what we already have ?
500ly range which is like 8 jumps in a decent DBX, what is the advantage ?
Somewhere to store ships, but we can already transfer our ships now.

Cannot really see the attraction to be honest.

My initial reason for wanting mine was "It looks cool and I don't have one".
But come to think of it, the same could be said for a coriolis starport and I don't want one of those, so I'm waiting to see why I'd actually want an FC, before deciding whether to get one or not.
I don't think I'll bother if I have to pay rent to keep a ship I've spent five billion credits on, though. When I buy stuff, it stays bought.

Elite's roots are as a single commander making his way in the Galaxy and along the way you make your own narrative. not as a commander commanding the type of large (imaginary) crew that a vessel of this size would need.

Another notable feature is the large number of crew required to fly the ship, 12 in all. If you've recently upgraded from a smaller ship, you may find yourself stuck in dock for a while, waiting for crew to advertise their presence for you to hire. Once you've got them, the weekly wage bill rises accordingly.

Frontier: Elite 2

Frontier Elite 2 and Frontier First Encounters had many ships that required hiring multiple crew members, without which you simply couldn't launch. Have you played the Elite series of games?

The key word in the description of FC's possible being decommissioned is the word "MIGHT".
IF and when it becomes a mandate, then I'd assume that Fdev would also make us have to pay rent on ships parked for extended duration at station. I mean, I've managed to keep the first Sidewinder I got when starting the game. I flew it for all of two hours and it's been taking up a parking space at a station that I can't even go to anymore, because it's off limits to vetern player's. Sure I could ship it somewhere, but the point is, it's been sitting there for two plus years.

Some player's have a lot more ships than I do, if they start charging upkeep (rent), gonna be a lot of player not so happy.

Frontier Elite 2 and Frontier First Encounters had many ships that required hiring multiple crew members, without which you simply couldn't launch. Have you played the Elite series of games?
They were simply numbers to fill. FC are MP content. Except they are now appraised as Solo Cmdr content. Something doesn't fit. It's either the design or the marketing.

olishcunrbzjc28ov4wm.jpg

They were simply numbers to fill. FC are MP content. Except they are now appraised as Solo Cmdr content. Something doesn't fit. It's either the design or the marketing.
There's confusion for sure. To me it sounds like some marketing people had some great ideas but failed to see what kind of people are actually playing the game and what they want. It feels to me that FD is getting more and more detach from its player base, but I could be wrong, maybe it's just me.

I don't get it either. I think it's just another example of FDev wasting time giving us something that nobody really asked for. Time that could have been spent on other stuff.

I know other people have a different opinion on this,rightly so because if we all liked the same things the world would be dull, but I'm definitely not rushing to make the credits to buy one of these things in game...

So we're gonner have about 3 or 4 of em parked outside jameson all vying for trade. Mebbe pvping one another jockeying for space near the space station.
I've no intention of mining 5 bill to plot up somewhere buying and selling.
I'd mine it and buy it if it meant I could take the beast out into the black.
Tritium is the rarest element on earth. It's a fuel source for a fusion reactor only we can't extract enuff to fire one up.
So I'm assuming it'll be hard to come by. Guess we'll see.
Can it be attacked by other fleet carriers. Now that would be interesting.

What will these carriers bring that will add to what we already have ?
500ly range which is like 8 jumps in a decent DBX, what is the advantage ?
Somewhere to store ships, but we can already transfer our ships now.

Cannot really see the attraction to be honest.
Your correct when you state one can ship their ship, and at 5 billion for a FC, that's a lot of shipping one would have to do to make it worth while.

As far as not managing a crew on an FC, we presently have flight attendants on all of our ships, and don't have to manage them, so it's a moot point.

Some player's have for what ever reason an over abundance of cr's and are at a place where as cr's no longer have any real value. Thus spending billions on a FC isn't a problem.

Having an FC to me means first and foremost, I can afford it, second is, I have any ship I want to utilize when I want to utilize it. The various stations in the various systems all have different types of missions available. It sucks when I have the wrong ship and have to remember where the ship that would be more conducive to the type of missions available is let alone have to go get it and then return.

So we're gonner have about 3 or 4 of em parked outside jameson all vying for trade. Mebbe pvping one another jockeying for space near the space station.

To be pedantic, you're not going to find a heap of FCs outside Jameson because, apparently, they won't be able to jump into permit-locked systems - which is how FDev will ensure that somebody who shouldn't be able to access a permit-locked system can't hitch a ride into one.

But, yeah.
If it turns out there's a system where Tritium is abundant, chances are it's going to be carrierpalooza there, instancing-willing.

To be pedantic, you're not going to find a heap of FCs outside Jameson because, apparently, they won't be able to jump into permit-locked systems - which is how FDev will ensure that somebody who shouldn't be able to access a permit-locked system can't hitch a ride into one.

But, yeah.
If it turns out there's a system where Tritium is abundant, chances are it's going to be carrierpalooza there, instancing-willing.
There is such a system, it's about 1700 ly's South South East from SOL. Thus only a hop, skip and 3 jumps in an FC.

Top Bottom