What is so good about fleet carriers ?

My vision was always a personal space port at the limits of my non-AFMU-having mining ships neutron jump range that allows me to land, repair and explore a region while also mining. If helpful to other players in that area then more power to them. If it will serve that role then I'm happy. I'll also load up the whole fleet and get back to Colonia while also exploring. Maybe help someone out and let them hitch a ride if they want.

The 5 billion plus up keep keeps most people from getting one seems more like a niche credit sink for exploiters and grinders. Too many what if's at this point. I play games to get away from the daily grind of work/life not to play games that seems like another job, don't go that ftp route fd.

Like your car that never needs servicing and your house that never needs repairs?

Cars and homes need repairs and maintenance because they exist in the real world. Fleet carriers do not exist in the real world, and any limitations or downsides of ownership that they have are there because they were deliberately placed, not because they are inherent in the object.

If I have to pay for the maintenance of my carrier and its fuel and its purchase price, why not have it so I have to pay for insurance, berthing slots, the necessary licenses to operate it, the crew wages, the supply train that would be required for me to operate it anywhere other than inhabited space, paying regular tribute to the superpowers to make them turn a blind eye to the fact that I'm essentially operating a capital ship in and around their territory, compensation claims for crew injuries in random events, replacement of systems damaged in said random events etc?

There's a sliding scale between enjoying something because it's realistic, and enjoying something because it's not. I like to sit towards the latter end. I game to escape reality, not to emulate it.

Edit:

I play games to get away from the daily grind of work/life not to play games that seems like another job

This.

I don't get it, or understand where these fit in with the Elite lore.

I've never seen anything in the lore to say big carriers don't or can't exist. Megaships exist. In Frontier there were the massive Lynx Bulk Carriers and Long Range Curisers.

If you are asking why would we want them, well, that depends on what people want them for, and for me, a mobile base of operations sounds like a swell idea, especially one i can take out into the black. I no longer will have to worry about which ship it take exploring, i'll take all of them. My general exploration ship, my mining ship, my planetary dropship, my racing ship, my slf ship.

Frontier Elite 2 and Frontier First Encounters had many ships that required hiring multiple crew members, without which you simply couldn't launch. Have you played the Elite series of games?

Yep, probably before you did, but I never bothered with either of those versions I never viewed them as proper Elite games

Like your car that never needs servicing and your house that never needs repairs?

I'd be fine with servicing and repairs.

I kind of like the idea that an explorer might stumble on a derelict FC out in the black and then go and have to find some tritium, along with some other stuff, to get the lights on and repair/reequip their ship.

In my experience, derelict cars and houses left in the middle of nowhere don't vanish completely when they're abandoned though.

Cars and homes need repairs and maintenance because they exist in the real world. Fleet carriers do not exist in the real world, and any limitations or downsides of ownership that they have are there because they were deliberately placed, not because they are inherent in the object.

Yeah it's OK mate, I don't have delusional thinking patterns or anything and am fully cognisant of the difference between 'things in a game' and 'things in the real world.'

If I have to pay for the maintenance of my carrier and its fuel and its purchase price, why not have it so I have to pay for insurance, berthing slots, the necessary licenses to operate it, the crew wages, the supply train that would be required for me to operate it anywhere other than inhabited space, paying regular tribute to the superpowers to make them turn a blind eye to the fact that I'm essentially operating a capital ship in and around their territory, compensation claims for crew injuries in random events, replacement of systems damaged in said random events etc?

There's a sliding scale between enjoying something because it's realistic, and enjoying something because it's not. I like to sit towards the latter end. I game to escape reality, not to emulate it.

I wasn't replying to justify the mechanic, I was replying to point out that the justification you provided for why you didn't like it was nonsensical. I agree with you in that of the reality vs gameplay argument should usually be resolved on the side of gameplay, other than in hardcore simulators where the reality is the gameplay and this is not such a game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's OK mate, I don't have delusional thinking patterns or anything and am fully cognisant of the difference between 'things in a game' and 'things in the real world.'

I wasn't replying to justify the mechanic, I was replying to point out that the justification you provided for why you didn't like it was nonsensical. I agree with you in that of the reality vs gameplay argument should usually be resolved on the side of gameplay, other than in hardcore simulators where the reality is the gameplay and this is not such a game.

Good, then we're agreed.
Creating a game mechanic that serves no other purpose than to make it so that I have to continue paying for something I've already bought cash-up-front,seems to me to be a step away from the "You'll have loads of fun with this" approach, instead moving towards "Oh but you don't get to keep it just because you paid for it, we want our four kilometer long faster-than-light interstellar fleet carriers to be realistic, after all!", which in many games would seem unreasonable and - as in real life - would make me less enthusiastic about the whole thing.

It's easy to see what so great about fleet carriers. If you take away the 'L' it becomes feet carriers, which means shoes, which means space-legs.

The fleet carrier beta also gives me something else to do during the lockdown.

Last edited:
Top Bottom