Half-Life: Alyx

Just started today. It's great but ... is anyone else finding that it crashes a lot ... I'm experiencing some kind of crash every 10 to 15 minutes which I have to say is somewhat taking the edge off my first impression.

First thing I'm gonna do is update my nVidia 1080 drivers 'cos I've been hanging on to some stable but fairly old ones.
OK - updating my graphics drivers definitely seems to have helped. I had one more crash not long after I'd started and thought "uh oh, nothings improved" ... but then, after restarting it I had a solid uninterrupted hour or so and ... WOW. This is flippin' AWESOME. Valve have totally done it again.

Last edited:
Had one of those wonderful “only in VR” moments this morning - opened a door to find three of those hairy, dark headcrabs coming at me, so I pulled the door closed, switched the gun to burst fire, cracked open the door just enough to poke my pistol through and emptied the magazine into them.

Ha ha, take that, Well Roasted Jump Turkeys!

howdy..

I struggled (well, fiddled) a bit with this last night. You have to change a setting in the accessbilty option in the main menu. see the following page from Gamespot, might help...

Enabling Seated Options In Half-Life: Alyx

:)
Thanks for the link - I'll give it a try tomorrow - I've been playing sitting down, but without any adjustment - it hasn't caused too many issues, but this looks like it will improve things even more.

The game is excellent - I must admit that this, and Stormland are reducing my ED gametime at the minute.
I'd had 6 months off from ED - not a deliberate plan, it just happened that way. I'm back to playing it now, but these 2 games are taking up a larger proportion of my time at the minute.

Keep safe everyone, and have fun

I finished the game. The ending is so good. I won't spoil anything obviously, but it's well worth the play. Best vr game I've played, hell one of the best I've played ever. The feeling at the end is amazing.
I really hope they follow up with another one.
😁

So today I played through most of the Northern Star chapter including getting past the Glow Crab and a whole chunk beyond that too - did manual saves regularly - then my PC crashed. When I restarted I was back at Superweapon. What the actual frick? Where the hell did all my manual saves go?

Not only that but my graphics settings had been on Custom (I'm guessing the game picks appropriate settings for you when it first starts up?) but I was curious, went into them ... and now I can't get back to whatever settings the game had originally picked for me. Not only that but when I ask it to reset to recommended defaults it now picks Low. Surely that's rubbish? - I've got a GTX 1080.

Love the game when it works but damn, its occasional but catastrophic flakiness is seriously starting to P me off now.

Last edited:
I had a crash at the beginning and the my save was nowhere to be seen. I started playing offline because my Internet was acting up and played with steam offline the rest of the game. Did not have any other crashes or issues with my saves.

I had a crash at the beginning and the my save was nowhere to be seen. I started playing offline because my Internet was acting up and played with steam offline the rest of the game. Did not have any other crashes or issues with my saves.
Interesting. How do I do that?

The game has a dynamic resolution scaling build in. You can add these to the game startup parameters in Steam to disable it:

+vr_fidelity_level_auto 0 +vr_fidelity_level 3

Level 3 = 1x scale (goggles native resolution)

Last edited:
The game has a dynamic resolution scaling build in. You can add these to the game startup parameters in Steam to disable it:

+vr_fidelity_level_auto 0 +vr_fidelity_level 3

Level 3 = 1x scale (goggles native resolution)
What would one expect the result of that to be? Better performance or better quality? Also - which "goggles" is that the native resolution for? Oculus? Valve Index?

I'm still wrestling with graphics settings, trying to find a point where the game crashes less frequently. With a 1080 I'd have expected to be able to do better than everything on Low. Has my lovely 1080 really plummeted down the rankings to that state of Low resolution in around 3 years? 😢

What would one expect the result of that to be? Better performance or better quality? Also - which "goggles" is that the native resolution for?

I'm still wrestling with graphics settings, trying to find a point where the game crashes less frequently. With a 1080 I'd have expected to be able to do better than everything on Low. Has my lovely 1080 really plummeted down the rankings to that state of Low resolution in around 3 years? 😢
1. Better quality, methinks?
2. Your goggles - native resolution as reported by SteamVR
3. I have 1080Ti and are able to run Alyx on High without a problem, I am yet to try ultra.
4. When was the last time you reinstalled your Windows 10? Because you ARE on Windows 10, right? Right? :D

Last edited:
What would one expect the result of that to be? Better performance or better quality? Also - which "goggles" is that the native resolution for? Oculus? Valve Index?

I’m running a 1080 with the game set at High (which it defaulted to on startup) - I’ve had one crash (just as I got to the Northern Star) in the 9 hours I’ve played so far. Also at one point had Alyx’s empty hands look like she’d been in a minor industrial accident, but a reboot cleared that up.

I’ve got an i7 8700 & DDR4 RAM, game on an m2 SSD, Rift S.

Top Bottom