Ships I want to build a bounty hunting ship

So I want to build a bounty hunting ship to take with me on my FC, but i'm still at rank harmless! Can i get some build tips please.
Ideally i don't want another python, i've got no powerplay modules/weapons, budget is not a problem, i don't yet have a corvette or cutter (But i would like to get a corvette), and if the build is still good without engineering that's a bonus, i'd like to engineer the ship over time.

I also would like to be able to collect their dropped materials too but don't mind manually scooping them up

Use an Anaconda, slap 4 efficient beam lasers on it in the largest slots, add a 7C bi-weave and 6 boosters, fill modules as you see fit, blast opposition.

edit
Something like this (apply engineering as much as you can)

Even though you have loads of credits, there are still reasons to learn to fly the smaller ships. The Vulture is supposed to be the best small ship for combat, with 2x large hardpoints, but the Courier is way more manoeuvrable. One you learn to brawl with, the other you learn to dodge.
If you were credit poor, Viper and Cobra would be your best friends to start with. Maybe try them anyway. You want some laser weaponry to remove shields and some multi-cannons/cannons/missile to remove hulls when the shields are down.
Low Res sites are great for having lots of police assistance while you are learning about pips, blue zone and also good for practice dodging asteroids.
If you want medium ships, lots of people recommend Chieftains, the Krait MKII is great, and don't forget the Clipper which is really a medium ship that won't fit on a medium pad.
Have fun.

You'll get as many recommendations as replies I reckon. It's too broad of a question, and I'd ask about budget, which engineers you've unlocked and so on.

Without that info and what restrictions you're under, or what appeals to you, it's difficult to say. With that in mind I will recommend two of the combat workhorses in Elite, the Vulture and the Fer-de-Lance.

As far as build advice, it's just so wide open. So many routes you can go. Personally I tend to use Bi-weave shields on my combat ships with the thermal resistance mod, and bringing MJ up through boosters with the aim of having purple shields with fast recovery and balanced resistances. The purple looks cool.

Weapons are another wide open issue. I'm a beams and multi-cannon disciple myself. I like efficient, thermal vent beams with overcharged, auto-loader MCs, usually setting one to corrosive depending on the ship. The FDL is nice here with five hardpoints, because you can get a pair of beams, a pair of auto-loaders and one corrosive.

I tend to opt for lighter, faster builds, and always with a minimum jump range of 30 light years. Just a personal requirement for my ships.

Two sample builds, first the Vulture

Arclight

Good speed, agility, resistances, integrity (especially through HRP resistance stacking) and jump. For me the two large hardpoints are both a blessing and curse. I've never really been completely happy with any combination I've tried, and here I went with two beams. The build I am posting has one thermal vent and one overcharged, but it's since been changed to two thermal vent. It's ammo-less which can be a nice characteristic, and the cooling effect of hitting with both beams acts like cloaking, preventing the NPCs from gaining a lock on your ship while you are saddled up and striking. This ship is a knife-fighter, meant to turn and burn, getting tags in and stripping shields. It's weak against hulls, making it a poor one v one ship. Great in a RES with allies though.

The second recommendation is the FDL, a murder-boat.

Eagle Weslake

Bi-weaves again, but Reinforced, which is simply because they were already that mod when I built the the ship and I've never swapped them over to thermal. At 3,000 thermal MJ though they're plenty good for PvE. Six freakin' boosters. Again, good speed, jump and protection. Dual beams plus autoloaders, and the big hardpoint is a corrosive MC. Huge MCs do not suffer from spin-up, no rotating gatling-gun type barrel arrangement. By putting all three MCs on the same fire group, I can snipe with the huge corrosive with quick trigger pulls, which spits out single shells. By holding down the trigger, the smaller auto-loaders kick in when they spin up, in effect a dual-stage trigger, allowing me to make more and better use of the corrosive effect without being profligate with my auto-loaders, while remaining on the same group. Beams and MCs are not very exotic or imaginative. But it's a great combo, and the low power and heat overhead with this arrangement leaves more room for the rest of the build.

I like shield tanks, and own no hull tanks. I like speed and agility, and good jump and am willing to sacrifice firepower and integrity to get it. Personally, I'd recommend a Vulture as a great first bounty hunter. The agility should ensure survival while you learn the ropes, and if not the re-buy is modest. That said, just about any ship can do this when allies are about. Pick one that appeals on a base level so that you enjoy what you are doing.

The OP mentioned scooping mats during combat. This is something I do a lot of, so I'll add one more recommendation, the Krait II

Poison Whiskey

Once again, good speed, jump, shields and integrity. The C1 slots we got last year are great, and perfect for a lightweight 1A collector limpet controller. This is the ship I use in High RES and CNB to kill ships and gather the mats they drop as well as drop in to HGEs and scoop and collect what's there.

Last edited:
the Courier is way more manoeuvrable.

You might guess so as it's so small, but this is not true. It's all build-dependent, but at full G5 the Vulture is significantly more maneuverable, especially in roll axis. I happen to have each ship fully engineered. Choices here will affect the numbers, but in my two ships the pitch/roll/yaw numbers look like this

Courier (G5 Dirty Drive Distributors)

64.98 /153.8 1/ 27.36

Vulture (G5 Dirty Drag Drives)

70.53 /184.72 / 28.55

For PvE it comes down more to personal taste than any particular ship or configuration. When I want to smash pirates and collect the pieces, I just put a ton of gold in my hold, go sit in a haz res, and let the little fishes come to me. It's fun and kinda relaxing actually. ;)

Just reread the OP: Sorry, this is a engineered ship. But it might be something to aspire to. :)

Last edited:
Ideally i don't want another python, i've got no powerplay modules/weapons, budget is not a problem, i don't yet have a corvette or cutter (But i would like to get a corvette), and if the build is still good without engineering that's a bonus, i'd like to engineer the ship over time.

It's too broad of a question, and I'd ask about budget, which engineers you've unlocked and so on.

I have 5 billion to play with, i doubt i'll be bothering with buying a FC if upkeep stays the same. I have most of the engineers unlocked, Just engineering all them weapons and combat related modules always put me off from getting a combat ship.

Thank you all for your suggestions, it gives me something to work towards. I think first i'm going to play around with different ships, see which i like the most and take it from there.

You might guess so as it's so small, but this is not true. It's all build-dependent, but at full G5 the Vulture is significantly more maneuverable, especially in roll axis. I happen to have each ship fully engineered. Choices here will affect the numbers, but in my two ships the pitch/roll/yaw numbers look like this

Courier (G5 Dirty Drive Distributors)

64.98 /153.8 1/ 27.36

Vulture (G5 Dirty Drag Drives)

70.53 /184.72 / 28.55

Total manoeuvrability is a bit more complex than a straight up rotational comparison.

You also need to take into account the thruster acceleration in the 3 axis as well as max speed.
Fwd thrust the courier is a lot faster accel - 57.53 v 39.55 = 45% faster
Rev thrust they are very similar accel - 30.02 v 29.88 = same
Lat/Vert again courier is higher accel - 24.88 v 19.98 = 24% faster

And also take into account top speeds. Vulture top speed is 574m/s yet the Courier even in a really heavy build still pulls well over 600m/s and a workable combat build can get over 700m/s

What this gives you is a much more nuanced factoring in overall manoeuvrability.

TBH IMO between these ships I'd it all depends on the pilot and they preferred playstyle. Gank and Tank go the Vulture. More disruptive fighter ace go the courier.

But if you want relatively cheap, good flying ship for the odd bit of pew pew then outfit a Viper IV, engineer it up and murder all the things :D

Fair points Madrax, and I agree. Acceleration has got to be part of it. My Courier boosts to about 800 for what it's worth. And while acceleration is a factor, agility and maneuverability are primarily functions of the ship's ability to change direction, not position, at least in my view. And pitch and roll rate are the key factors in changing direction.

But I like the nuance of the point you are making, and perhaps I am thinking about it too much like aircraft, and not space ships with their ability to move in any direction at any attitude.

Completely agree overall agility, IMO as well, is about how you change your vector (3d space needs to take into account all 3 dimensions IMO)

As a dedicated FA-off pilot I'm always taking into consideration all 6 degrees of freedom and how to work all 6 dof into changing vector as quickly and smoothly as possible.

Top Bottom