ANNOUNCEMENT Fleet Carriers Update - Beta 2 - Date Announcement

One of my primary concerns (and hence curious - but not impatient about Beta2 Patchnotes) is one question :

- will they have enough time to transform it from (Beta1) "Rent a UI/Menu" into something that can actually fly and have at least a simple bridge?

I do welcome the announced functionality but it would always leave a very sour taste if all experience I got for ~6B Cr was.... a mere User Interface.
That's not how I envisioned commanding a Carrier when I'm docked at it, at least not in this Game.

On top, really want far more detailed Docking Permission choices. Currently, it's more like "Anyone, Friends/Squadron or nobody".
Not a friend of being unable to keep riffraff out, even if they harass me near my own Carrier. Doesn't compute.
I don't see them changing the UI. FDEV seemed quite happy with it and not a large number of players complained.
Instead I the bridge POV is a very needed and largely requested feature.

One of my primary concerns (and hence curious - but not impatient about Beta2 Patchnotes) is one question :

- will they have enough time to transform it from (Beta1) "Rent a UI/Menu" into something that can actually fly and have at least a simple bridge?

I do welcome the announced functionality but it would always leave a very sour taste if all experience I got for ~6B Cr was.... a mere User Interface.
That's not how I envisioned commanding a Carrier when I'm docked at it, at least not in this Game.

On top, really want far more detailed Docking Permission choices. Currently, it's more like "Anyone, Friends/Squadron or nobody".
Not a friend of being unable to keep riffraff out, even if they harass me near my own Carrier. Doesn't compute.
I cant see how carriers could be flown in the sense of other ships, without the whole update being redesigned and rewritten entirely. A bridge view for jumps might be possible I suppose, if we do get legs in the future then that would be the more logical way.

Deleted member 38366

D
I don't see them changing the UI. FDEV seemed quite happy with it and not a large number of players complained.

I don't mind the UI itself, with a few minor tweaks it'll get the management part done just fine.
That alternative (not positively engaged in managing the Carrier) is indeed missing.
Be it standing on the bridge and seeing traffic flowing, enjoying the scenery or merely flying (re-orienting) it for best positioning.

Yeah, not thinking about SuperCruise or boosting it through Asteroid Rings obviously.
For me, it's mostly about slowly re-orienting it with some nice rumble & FX.
The feeling of commanding and flying it more or less - without the Carrier itself going anywhere. Something else than staring at either my old, own Ship interior or that Management UI.

(I >think< this should be possible, even if the underlying mechanic demands a fixed position in space following orbital parameters, since it's merely rotating the asset that'll otherwise still behave exactly as before... so that's merely adding Pitch/Roll and storing its orientation as parameters. That's pretty much all I'd ask)

It'd be nice if you added 10B credits to everyone's beta account. Like, so everyone can test the beta features.

I think I have just enough to buy most things, but I'm sure there are a lot of players who haven't. 5B in cash, plus another 2B in ships I can sell off should be enough, right? I'd hate to waste the beta grinding for credits, rather than testing the purpose of the beta.

I'm looking forward to it. I didn't have enough credits for the first beta, but I did land on a other player's carriers.
I know considering nothing from the beta carry over to the main game

You have the ability to lock out players with notoriety... so that should keep out at least some of the riffraff

Wish I could login to get my Beta key for PS4.... Oh well
Not sure it will work that way.

I have played beta testing on other games on the PS4 in the past.
The way other games have done Production vs Beta games on console is to send out an updated launcher to all and then have a sub menu from within the game that allowed Beta access.
@frontier, it would be a good to update either on the Thursday night stream or in the OP ahead of the 11th so that there isn't confusion for console owners.

The thing about a view whilst jumping is that they're almost there. In the carrier management menu (I think), there is an option to see an external view. I used this view just before a jump. Unfortunately when the jump started, it switched back to the landing bay view. All they need to do is maintain the external view during a jump (and perhaps make it easier to find)

On this point is it that Squadrons/Friends are cross platform? Because if not then although the FC exists in all platforms how would docking permissions be given if "All "was not wanted between platforms?

Not sure it will work that way.

I have played beta testing on other games on the PS4 in the past.
The way other games have done Production vs Beta games on console is to send out an updated launcher to all and then have a sub menu from within the game that allowed Beta access.
@frontier, it would be a good to update either on the Thursday night stream or in the OP ahead of the 11th so that there isn't confusion for console owners.
They said it will work that way? Im just trying to follow FDevs instructions. But I can't because login in with my PSN account just gets me an error about being unable to connect.

Deleted member 38366

D
You have the ability to lock out players with notoriety... so that should keep out at least some of the riffraff

Not outside of a jurisdiction, where it'll have zero effect (not even a Bounty issued). And even inside one, Notoriety cools down faster than butter melts under a hot sun. Utterly ineffective.
Thus, IMHO actually no options exist to keep the riffraff out. At least none that are reliable, short of taking a sledgehammer-approach, which would have the undesired effect of blocking most of the legitimate traffic.

On this point is it that Squadrons/Friends are cross platform? Because if not then although the FC exists in all platforms how would docking permissions be given if "All "was not wanted between platforms?
Squadrons are not cross-platform, and since there can be CMDRs with the same name on different platforms, friends probably aren't either. This makes me think cross-platform player groups will have a very hard time, but it'll have to be tested to be sure.

Didn't think of this until now, since I have friends on PS4, looks like I won't be able to restrict docking on my carrier without locking them out... oof

I'd love something like this, which broken down is a camera view out of the bridge over your FC (so no bridge visible) with portraits and services overlaid, or have some sort of inside bridge view like below.

1587639979263-png.170696

I'd also like some sort of camera view in each landing bay, so I can see who has docked- this could be repurposed ship kit angles, or simply reuse the standard POV in hangars.

You could even mix holo me into it, with your character standing in the centre as the captain.

I'd love something like this, which broken down is a camera view out of the bridge over your FC (so no bridge visible) with portraits and services overlaid, or have some sort of inside bridge view like below.

1587639979263-png.170696

I'd also like some sort of camera view in each landing bay, so I can see who has docked- this could be repurposed ship kit angles, or simply reuse the standard POV in hangars.

You could even mix holo me into it, with your character standing in the centre as the captain.

This could go somewhere!
Plus 1

1587639979263-png.170696

:ROFLMAO: (n)

Perhaps Frontier could have a little animation of you marching onto the bridge, accompanied by a stirring theme. I'm sure you know the sort of thing I mean ;)

Top Bottom