General Ability to Activate/Deactivate Optional Fuel Tank Modules

Not everyone will find this useful however there are some ship builds/purposes that could benefit.

It would be useful in some situations if extra fuel tanks that have been put in the optional modules could show up in the module list and be activated/deactivated. A ship with a 128 ton fuel tank capacity may not always need to have that much on board, but there may be situations when 128 tons of fuel on board is useful. During a long series of jumps between scoopable stars, it might be useful to put an 16 ton tank in the core slot and then put another tank in the optional slot and turn it off while it is empty.

If it were deactivated while it is empty, it will not fill while scooping or refueling. This will allow ships to only scoop into the core tank what the ship needs for a single jump.

If it is deactivated while it contains fuel, that fuel will not be consumed until the tank is reactivated. This would allow a ship to create reserve tank. A reserve tank might be useful in some situations even if it is only 1/2 the size of the FSD's maximum - per jump - fuel usage limit. If a pilot were to have a lapse and need to use the reserve tank, a 100% FSD injection would give the aforementioned reserve tank double the effect and allow a maximum normal range jump.

For example, a configuration for a Beluga Liner that doesn't need to use all of its size 3 slots for other things could put a 16 tone tank in the core slot to keep the ship lighter and create an 8 ton reserve tank. Another fuel tank could be added but left empty to allow the ship to have the option to get fuel on board for multiple jumps between refueling if the ship were entering a region of space where refueling on each jump was not feasible.

I like this idea. Not sure why I'd use it, but it's simple and honestly it doesn't seem like it would require much at all to put in there.

HOWEVER, I have 1 complaint... or rather, one thing they should definitely keep in mind while working on this:

If it is deactivated while it contains fuel, that fuel will not be consumed until the tank is reactivated. This would allow a ship to create reserve tank.

Having watched both of the "Elite Dangerous in VR is a Nightmare" videos, I've gotten a chance to see what a non-ED player does in this game... and it involves a lot of confusion. One thing I would definitely not want is for them to show this "reserve" fuel as part of the main fuel bar, even a different color on it, while these modules are turned off. I know that it may seem really obvious, but a new player could well turn their reserve tank off, forget they did it (or do it on accident), see the extra fuel there and then get exceptionally frustrated because they can't figure out why they have fuel but can't jump.

If they do the reserve fuel thing, I hope they indicate your reserves somewhere else. Another bar nearby, hidden in the right screen... wherever. I just hope they take care with this because I can definitely see folks getting upset and confused by it before they get a better grasp on the concept of enabling/disabling modules and whatnot.

I like this idea. Not sure why I'd use it, but it's simple and honestly it doesn't seem like it would require much at all to put in there.

HOWEVER, I have 1 complaint... or rather, one thing they should definitely keep in mind while working on this:

Having watched both of the "Elite Dangerous in VR is a Nightmare" videos, I've gotten a chance to see what a non-ED player does in this game... and it involves a lot of confusion. One thing I would definitely not want is for them to show this "reserve" fuel as part of the main fuel bar, even a different color on it, while these modules are turned off. I know that it may seem really obvious, but a new player could well turn their reserve tank off, forget they did it (or do it on accident), see the extra fuel there and then get exceptionally frustrated because they can't figure out why they have fuel but can't jump.

If they do the reserve fuel thing, I hope they indicate your reserves somewhere else. Another bar nearby, hidden in the right screen... wherever. I just hope they take care with this because I can definitely see folks getting upset and confused by it before they get a better grasp on the concept of enabling/disabling modules and whatnot.

I agree. I was just thinking that it would add up the fuel tanks that are active and that would be the total fuel but since we need to know how much fuel is in a reserve fuel tank the amount of fuel in it has to be displayed somewhere. That makes it more complicated since changing the HUD is a very big deal, I think.

The first application that occurs to me is my exploration Anaconda (where I have an extra size-5 tank). If I'm flitting around regular scoopable stars, I'd love to fill only the main tank and have a 75LY range. If I decide to run neutrons, I'd turn on the second tank, fill up, and be able to hit 7-8 neutrons before a pit stop, rather than 3-4.

And the "reserve tank" is a fabulous idea, too. Great use for a small slot that might otherwise go unused.

I regularly swop out 3 limpit collectors and a prospector for 3 5C tanks and a 6A fuel scoop on my mining Cutter when I haul the LTD,s to market why dont they stay full when I swap them out again?

I regularly swop out 3 limpit collectors and a prospector for 3 5C tanks and a 6A fuel scoop on my mining Cutter when I haul the LTD,s to market why dont they stay full when I swap them out again?
Why add a scoop AND tanks just for a sales run? The scoop alone should be plenty to get you there.

On my mining Cutter, I’ll swap in a 6A scoop and an FSD booster (to cut the number of jumps) for the sales run, but Ive never needed more tanks.

Why add a scoop AND tanks just for a sales run? The scoop alone should be plenty to get you there.

On my mining Cutter, I’ll swap in a 6A scoop and an FSD booster (to cut the number of jumps) for the sales run, but Ive never needed more tanks.
My base is next door to borann till the nerf happens so I always nip home (Huang Yai) to refit weapons check for destination etc the Tanks are there and the scoop i never worry how many jumps cos im scanning them all, nor how far it is. Belt and Braces me ready for the unexpected

Top Bottom