Australian Animals

I agree that a kiwi and tuatara - plus appropriate lighting possibilities - are essential for New Zealand. Anything else would be a nice bonus but I would say that anything from New Zealand without kiwi and tuatara would be frustrating.

EDIT: actually some appropriate plants and especially trees would be important too.

I would love that. Frankly in order to convincingly do New Zealand the game only needs at most three things; the kiwi, the tuatara, and the ability to use lights indoors during the day time (some 'NZ-themed' scenery pieces wouldn't go amiss, either, but not a priority). Right now it's impossible to build a convincing New Zealand-based zoo in the game, as every zoo here basically has to run a conservation project for our native animals. Even our aquariums keep kiwi and tuatara. If we had just those three things, I'd be pretty content (adding in more exhibit animals, such as our green geckos or native skinks, wouldn't go amiss, and I'd love to see some our birds (not the kakapo, as they don't exist in captivity, but something like the kea or kaka, or the kereru/NZ wood pigeon) show up if such a function is ever added to the game, but beggars can't be choosers).
If they do a New Zealand pack, the weta might be a nice choice for an exhibit animal.

If they do a New Zealand pack, the weta might be a nice choice for an exhibit animal.

Oh sure, but if I had to pick only one it would have to be the tuatara. I could easily list ten exhibit animals for a New Zealand-themed DLC that all appear in captivity here, but I wouldn't expect NZ to ever get any attention in the game. The kiwi and tuatara are the most iconic and recognisable NZ animals.

I could easily list ten exhibit animals for a New Zealand-themed DLC that all appear in captivity here

For all us dreamers out here please list the other 10. I would love to hear what you have in your zoos that the rest of us never get to see. I get your point of course that the best we can probably ever hope to see in the game is the tuatara (so cool!) and the kiwi. Also, which kiwi species would you advocate for? Far as I can tell the North Island Brown (Apteryx mantelli) is the only species held in captivity outside of its native range. What species of weta can be held in captivity/ on display?

If there's an Australia-only pack (rather than an Oceananian pack) then I'd want:

Kangaroo (Grey or Red)
Tasmanian Devil
Southern Hairy-nosed Wombat
Yellow-footed rock (or any other) wallaby, echidna, numbat, quoll, cassawary, tree kangaroo, .. lots of options that'd all be more interesting than a koala.
...and Platypus as an exhibit animal

Oh sure, but if I had to pick only one it would have to be the tuatara. I could easily list ten exhibit animals for a New Zealand-themed DLC that all appear in captivity here, but I wouldn't expect NZ to ever get any attention in the game. The kiwi and tuatara are the most iconic and recognisable NZ animals.

That's basically why I mentioned it. NZ as a DLC pack - let's face that's very unlikely. And if they are going to address that region - the Tuatara (TY for mentioning that one) as an exhibit animal would be something.

For all us dreamers out here please list the other 10. I would love to hear what you have in your zoos that the rest of us never get to see. I get your point of course that the best we can probably ever hope to see in the game is the tuatara (so cool!) and the kiwi. Also, which kiwi species would you advocate for? Far as I can tell the North Island Brown (Apteryx mantelli) is the only species held in captivity outside of its native range. What species of weta can be held in captivity/ on display?

It's not super exciting - our native reptiles are restricted to geckos and skinks, except for the tuatara. As a random selection that are commonly found in captivity here;

- Tuatara.
- Northland green gecko.
- Duvacel's gecko.
- Forest gecko.
- Canterbury gecko.
- Goldstripe gecko.
- Otago skink.
- Grand skink.
- Giant weta.
- Nelson cave weta.
- Kauri snail.
- Archey's frog.
- Hamilton's frog.
- Hochstetter's frog.
- Maud Island frog.

More than ten there but these are all animals you can commonly find in NZ zoos. The native frogs are more of a mixed bag; it's only really recently that our zoos have started putting them on display, and they're so tiny as to be nigh impossible to view even in captivity. They definitely wouldn't work in Planet Zoo but I figured I'd list them anyway.

It's not super exciting - our native reptiles are restricted to geckos and skinks, except for the tuatara. As a random selection that are commonly found in captivity here;

- Tuatara.
- Northland green gecko.
- Duvacel's gecko.
- Forest gecko.
- Canterbury gecko.
- Goldstripe gecko.
- Otago skink.
- Grand skink.
- Giant weta.
- Nelson cave weta.
- Kauri snail.
- Archey's frog.
- Hamilton's frog.
- Hochstetter's frog.
- Maud Island frog.

More than ten there but these are all animals you can commonly find in NZ zoos. The native frogs are more of a mixed bag; it's only really recently that our zoos have started putting them on display, and they're so tiny as to be nigh impossible to view even in captivity. They definitely wouldn't work in Planet Zoo but I figured I'd list them anyway.
That's a pretty good list, but as far as habitat species go, there's not much. They could do some kind of penguin, since those are popular anyway, but all the other creatures would have to also be birds (besides the kiwi there are a few other species that might work).

That's a pretty good list, but as far as habitat species go, there's not much. They could do some kind of penguin, since those are popular anyway, but all the other creatures would have to also be birds (besides the kiwi there are a few other species that might work).

The only viable habitat species really is the kiwi, but as I always I stipulate that without indoor lighting it becomes a bit absurd (since they are only ever exhibited in nocturnal houses, I'd prefer to at least be able to fake this even if there's no specific mechanism in place for it). I suppose the takahe is another option, but in terms of what I'd ever expect from Planet Zoo I'd say that's too hopeful. As special as New Zealand's fauna is to me personally and to my country, I doubt it's very high on Frontier's list, if it's even there at all.

(Also, before anyone mentions it, there are no kakapo in captivity, and there are certainly no kakapo outside of New Zealand, so I don't consider them a viable option for a habitat animal at all; in fact there are so few kakapo left that you can find a list on Wikipedia of literally every single one of them - 99 females and 112 males, all named).

I suspect we're unlikely to get a NZ-specific pack, but kiwi could be in a birds pack or both kiwi and tuatara could be in an Oceania Pack, if we get that rather than Australia-only.

If an Australian DLC the Platypus is a must. Kaolas and red kangoroos are a must have too. A penguin would also be nice.

It's unlikely we'll see either the platypus or penguin anytime soon. Both require swimming and diving mechanics that do not yet exist in the game.

Also as has been pointed out by others, the platypus is a very small animal and its husbandry needs/usual enclosures in captivity would be a real challenge to recreate in the game as it currently stands.

I love platypus but there are many more Australian species which are better suited to the game and are also more common in captivity.

Since Australia ain't got much in terms of country-specific architecture (some aboriginal art pieces should fill that void), I think a higher amount of animals is gucci. Also, I'd like kangaroos to be walkthrough animals

Since Australia ain't got much in terms of country-specific architecture (some aboriginal art pieces should fill that void), I think a higher amount of animals is gucci. Also, I'd like kangaroos to be walkthrough animals

If they did a building theme, I'd imagine it would be something rustic. It doesn't necessarily have to have an 'Australian' theme, but an 'Outback' theme would work well enough. I would prefer more exhibit animals instead of a building set (there are so many possibilities for exhibit animals from Australia) but we'll see.

If Australia is next in Frontier's list (seems likely) then we might find out next month.

If they did a building theme, I'd imagine it would be something rustic.
Even that could be done by applying moderate changes to the sets we already have to make them look rustier and "Outbackish." It ain't like with the Arctic DLC where they made what's basically a Skyrim building set.

Even that could be done by applying moderate changes to the sets we already have to make them look rustier and "Outbackish." It ain't like with the Arctic DLC where they made what's basically a Skyrim building set.

At their core all the building pieces are basically identical, only with new skins and textures applied. There's no real difference between the Arctic 4m Wall, Mud 4m Wall, Brick 4m Wall, or whatever else (glass seems to work differently since guests can see through it). The additional decorative pieces (such as the half-walls, trims, decorations, beams, and so on) are more uniquely made. It would be the same with an Outback theme. The walls and roofs would just be reskinned from the existing 'template' I'm sure they use for all building pieces, but they'd design some new scenery items, structural props, and so on to go along with it.

So there'd probably be some kind of new corrugated metal roof and wall set, some kind of new type of wood, maybe even something similar to the bamboo except with more basic sticks like a bivouac lean-to or something. Plus there'd need to be the aforementioned Aboriginal art pieces, possibly a new rock set (red desert rocks are pretty Australian), maybe even some more 'basic' scenery pieces since everyone's been requesting those.

I'd like more animals as much as the next person, but I'm examining the fact that they definitely could add a whole new building set if they wanted to, specifically to manage my own expectations. If the first three Planet Zoo DLC's line up with the first three Planet Coaster updates (December, April, June), then it's likely that whatever comes next will be the same as the first two in terms of content with maybe a little twist (South America Pack gave us a new exhibit animal which we weren't expecting, but we knew there would likely be only four habitat animals and a big themed set).

Of course, we can't absolutely guarantee that Australia is coming next, but it does seem likely (Australia is a summer destination, June is the Northern Hemisphere summer where Frontier is based, Arctic was in winter, South America/rainforest was in spring, it all makes sense). I just don't want people to get their hopes up for more and then complain when their expectations aren't met like they did with the SA Pack.

If there is an Australian DLC coming up I really hope it comes with some appropriate trees and foliage, especially trees of varying height. It’s really hard to build a realistic zoo without appropriate trees.

If there is an Australian DLC coming up I really hope it comes with some appropriate trees and foliage, especially trees of varying height. It’s really hard to build a realistic zoo without appropriate trees.

I think additional foliage goes without saying; every pack thus far has come with new foliage (and rocks). If we get koalas we absolutely must also have eucalyptus, since they can't eat anything else.

Well the reason that the Australia hypothesis is so strong is that Frontier seems to be banging off highly requested animals that were purposefully left out of the game (not the most cash money practice but screw it). Polar bears and reindeer in the Arctic Pack and jaguars and giant anteaters in the SA pack. Now, the 2 most heavily requested animals are penguins and kangaroos.

Top Bottom