Game Discussions Replacement BBS videos for First Encounters

I’m about to start a playthrough of FFE (DOSbox or GL/JJFFE, not decided which yet; I want to keep a fairly “vanilla” game) and I came across a 2012 thread here talking about replacements for the FMV videos that came with the CD-ROM version of First Encounters - unfortunately the links to SpaceSimCentral appear to be dead and I’ve been unsuccessful in finding the files elsewhere.

It sounds like Family&Friends&AnyoneInTheOffice FMV has been replaced with the faces from Frontier: Elite 2, which I much preferred anyway.

Does anyone still have the files and be willing to share them with me?

I’d be very grateful if anyone could help - I’d like to enjoy the game again but without the sort of cringe that made me fold up inside like complex origami when I first played it on release :)

I’m about to start a playthrough of FFE (DOSbox or GL/JJFFE, not decided which yet; I want to keep a fairly “vanilla” game) and I came across a 2012 thread here talking about replacements for the FMV videos that came with the CD-ROM version of First Encounters - unfortunately the links to SpaceSimCentral appear to be dead and I’ve been unsuccessful in finding the files elsewhere.

It sounds like Family&Friends&AnyoneInTheOffice FMV has been replaced with the faces from Frontier: Elite 2, which I much preferred anyway.

Does anyone still have the files and be willing to share them with me?

I’d be very grateful if anyone could help - I’d like to enjoy the game again but without the sort of cringe that made me fold up inside like complex origami when I first played it on release :)
I'm amazed that you prefer the faces from FE2 to the Shakespearean FMV offerings, but anyway...

The download is still there at Space Sim Central but you need to create an account and then access the download terminal. Lots of interesting stuff in there, not just Frontier related.

I'm amazed that you prefer the faces from FE2 to the Shakespearean FMV offerings, but anyway...

The download is still there at Space Sim Central but you need to create an account and then access the download terminal. Lots of interesting stuff in there, not just Frontier related.
Thanks for the info, I've created an account and downloaded the avi files - the 404 error I was getting from the old link was confuddling me somewhat.

A further question - what do you reckon is the best way to play the game, but with the following caveats:
  • Looking as close to the original as possible
  • Being able to map the controls to a joystick/gamepad
Running through DOSbox is pretty slow and I've seen a few graphical colour glitches in the intro sequence, Nic's Mod works excellently but I think the control mapping isn't do-able. AndyJ's version looks to be the most developed but I wouldn't want any of the replacement graphics.

I'm currently playing FE2 and when trying to find a more fun way to play I've settled on mapping the controls to a gamepad - it's almost like FAoff in ED, much more enjoyable to me than the mouse controls I've used since forever :)

A further question - what do you reckon is the best way to play the game, but with the following caveats:
  • Looking as close to the original as possible
  • Being able to map the controls to a joystick/gamepad
Running through DOSbox is pretty slow and I've seen a few graphical colour glitches in the intro sequence, Nic's Mod works excellently but I think the control mapping isn't do-able. AndyJ's version looks to be the most developed but I wouldn't want any of the replacement graphics.
JJ-FFE looks closest to the original but Nic's Mod builds on that so if the control mapping isn't good on that version then JJ-FFE probably won't be either.

AndyJ's FFED3D-AJ just knocks the socks off every other version. There are so many bug fixes as well as other improvements. You can even switch back to the original models (Ctrl-F6) if you want, though the higher resolution means it still won't look like original FFE. All the controls can be mapped to a joystick as well.

JJ-FFE looks closest to the original but Nic's Mod builds on that so if the control mapping isn't good on that version then JJ-FFE probably won't be either.

AndyJ's FFED3D-AJ just knocks the socks off every other version. There are so many bug fixes as well as other improvements. You can even switch back to the original models (Ctrl-F6) if you want, though the higher resolution means it still won't look like original FFE. All the controls can be mapped to a joystick as well.
Cool, I didn’t know about that, I’ll see if I can get AndyJ’s work downgraded to suit my taste :D

The link to the files from the old topic appear to have changed with what changes have happened to Space Sim Central - but the video files are still there. You need register an account and go to the file manager on the site, and you'll find it under "FFED3D" in the games section. (I've shared the direct link with Arioch via PM as I saw a PM from him before I saw this topic - but I'll not share it in the topic until I double-check on any rule changes over at SSC as I hadn't been there for a few years)

Top Bottom