ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Holy E. Coli

This is going to introduce a WHOLE new level of long needed emergent gameplay at long last.

1. EVA survival since we can now land on planets/asteroids and await rescue. Better yet, now land on ATMOSPHERIC planets which may be M Class/earth like with comparable and breathable oxygen while we await rescue. And with the significantly reduced oxygen footprint, be able to explore and map unknown planets while waiting on rescue :love:
  2. Potential EVA directly from your disabled space ship and into another player's or NPCs rescue air craft. Cmndr Holo Me is no longer a paraplegic stuck with the horror of watching that life support count down timer in their disabled ship cockpit.....
  3. If in Open and being griefed, be able to use a SPACE RPG and take out griefers that are trying to flatten you with their ships while you're on foot :ROFLMAO:
  4. Be able to takeout Skimmers and other hostile NPCs you encounter on stealth/spy missions
  5. Be able to use whatever salvage you find on planets. Like use the medical supplies to extend your suit's life timer. And use whatever ship salvage in wrecks to help repair your ship. While on lookout for hostile NPCs lurking in the area
  6. Possible EVA to outside our disabled ships and repair our ships manually (similar to way you can in Space Engineers)
  7. Possible exploration of space station interiors? Which would need to be randomly generated. Similar to the way Bethesda and UbiSoft used tech to randomly generate interiors and entire densely packed cities.
  8. Possible delivery/cargo missions using combination of SRV and by foot. But RNG hostile encounters enroute could jeopardize this i.e. cripple your Holo Me so they can no longer walk and require SAR if they can't get back to their SRV
  9. Walking and exploring rugged, steep and mountainous terrain on the night side of planets is going to be a fun nightmare. Especially if the planet is 'Goid infested.....
  10. Hope NPC interaction at these planetary outposts/bases are more than just speaking to an NPC in an upgraded movie screen. They did list ability to buy and upgrade weapons/gear. Hopefully the NPC security patrols will also be on foot as well. Perhaps perform SAR if you can contact the station within a given radius? Such a feature would really work well for Solo and PvE PG players who can't contact FR or SAR Cmndrs.

On new transaction ability: So this means we can buy lazers? Other photon based weapons? Upgrade our new jet packs? Armor ranging from F to A grade? Can we engineer any of our manual weapons and gear at these stations? Or only at the Engineers?

The Fuel Rats and SAR are going to have their hands full. Especially in Open 😂

If this also comes with BASE BUILDING and/or land ownership of a specific plot of land on a planet somewhere, I'm going to be in hog's heaven...

I wonder how long it will take my space legs to walk the length of a fleet carrier with 'A' grade mag boots!
Wonder how long it will take for you to die after your space legs get floated into oblivion when the FC Cmndr decides to vacation in Witch Space. But not before you achieve the maximum distance from your ship's landing pad on their deck that is...... 😂

Overall...I just really wish to have better, far more developed missions brought into the game because even though the current ones are okay for making some credits, they are just far too generic and that makes it pointless to explore new locations in the galaxy in search of new possibilities, which is exactly what this game should probably be all about! I want some planetary systems that actually feel unique and deeply interesting!!! :v
What I'd like to see is CMDR driven missions. This would allow for ingame tools to assist in roleplaying.

Although I am very happy about the announcement, they are not really showing anything yet ... I see many people talking about a video that does not show the real game, of that I am sure ... I don't understand the exaltation of some commenting on a CGI video,then come disappointments ...

Is that no one remembers the first elite trailers? they looked even better than this(2014). Sorry, i'm just trying to be realistic.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6peGu2yG6o&list=RDCMUCd1Xmm1TFBD-lfZUWaWf7EA&index=2

Holy E. Coli

This is going to introduce a WHOLE new level of long needed emergent gameplay at long last.

1. EVA survival since we can now land on planets/asteroids and await rescue. Better yet, now land on ATMOSPHERIC planets which may be M Class/earth like with comparable and breathable oxygen while we await rescue. And with the significantly reduced oxygen footprint, be able to explore and map unknown planets while waiting on rescue :love:
  2. Potential EVA directly from your disabled space ship and into another player's or NPCs rescue air craft. Cmndr Holo Me is no longer a paraplegic stuck with the horror of watching that life support count down timer in their disabled ship cockpit.....
  3. If in Open and being griefed, be able to use a SPACE RPG and take out griefers that are trying to flatten you with their ships while you're on foot :ROFLMAO:
  4. Be able to takeout Skimmers and other hostile NPCs you encounter on stealth/spy missions
  5. Be able to use whatever salvage you find on planets. Like use the medical supplies to extend your suit's life timer. And use whatever ship salvage in wrecks to help repair your ship. While on lookout for hostile NPCs lurking in the area
  6. Possible EVA to outside our disabled ships and repair our ships manually (similar to way you can in Space Engineers)
  7. Possible exploration of space station interiors? Which would need to be randomly generated. Similar to the way Bethesda and UbiSoft used tech to randomly generate interiors and entire densely packed cities.
  8. Possible delivery/cargo missions using combination of SRV and by foot. But RNG hostile encounters enroute could jeopardize this i.e. cripple your Holo Me so they can no longer walk and require SAR if they can't get back to their SRV
  9. Walking and exploring rugged, steep and mountainous terrain on the night side of planets is going to be a fun nightmare. Especially if the planet is 'Goid infested.....
  10. Hope NPC interaction at these planetary outposts/bases are more than just speaking to an NPC in an upgraded movie screen. They did list ability to buy and upgrade weapons/gear. Hopefully the NPC security patrols will also be on foot as well. Perhaps perform SAR if you can contact the station within a given radius? Such a feature would really work well for Solo and PvE PG players who can't contact FR or SAR Cmndrs.

On new transaction ability: So this means we can buy lazers? Other photon based weapons? Upgrade our new jet packs? Armor ranging from F to A grade? Can we engineer any of our manual weapons and gear at these stations? Or only at the Engineers?

The Fuel Rats and SAR are going to have their hands full. Especially in Open 😂

If this also comes with BASE BUILDING and/or land ownership of a specific plot of land on a planet somewhere, I'm going to be in hog's heaven...

Yeah man if it comes with everything mentioned above Elite Dangerous might be the last game I ever play....
The best news in gaming for a long long time!

The developers at Frontier are great! I think this game is going to EXPLODE! Definitely one of the most underrated games of our time!
Many of us who have played this game for the last 5 years might suggest that you will be sadly disappointed.

We have seen it all before. Great ideas, usually abysmally implemented by Frontier.

But you are correct in as much as ED is underrated...it could have been so much more.

Ooooooooo buddy, I'm excited! At this point can we safely say we're getting both SpaceLegs and Atmospheric Landings? I mean, the atmosphere in the trailer looked thin and I didn't see any clouds (so probably no weather), but it's something, at least. And the terrain looks waaaay better. I just hope this doesn't turn into a shoot-em-up game.

Thank you Frontier Team!

Although I am very happy about the announcement, they are not really showing anything yet ... I see many people talking about a video that does not show the real game, of that I am sure ... I don't understand the exaltation of some commenting on a CGI video,then come disappointments ...

Is that no one remembers the first elite trailers? they looked even better than this(2014). Sorry, i'm just trying to be realistic.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6peGu2yG6o&list=RDCMUCd1Xmm1TFBD-lfZUWaWf7EA&index=2

In fairness, they have gotten better with trailers since that one.

Dude, the video you posted says (in small print) 'Not ingame footage' It is clearly CGI. This trailer we have seen today says 'pre alpha engine footage'

Always keep an eye on the small print when viewing trailers.

You're still here though so it can't be that bad
It is actually very good...which is why I am indeed still here. However, it could have been so much more, much sooner and is now playing catchup imo. I really hope that the new DLC is great...but I do say that more in hope than expectation.

Still, I'm sure you will enjoy it...however it turns out.

All Odyssey has to deliver in order to make me happy:

1) Atmospheric Planets of equal quality to the non-atmospheric planets already in the game.

2) Full bodied & voiced mission givers.

3) More depth to missions, to make them feel more like personal narratives (using improvements to stuff like Chained Mission Mechanics & the USS changes implemented in Beyond).

If it can do those 3 things, then I'm sold. Anything more than that is gravy :).

If this is confirmed that we get atmospheric landings then I will go and visit my very 1st Earthlike World I found all those years ago. It would be good to see what lifeforms are there. Also wondering if there will be any defunct alien cities to wander around in and get killed by something like Guardian Sentries? That would be fun. Or fall to my doom from some open window in a building I am exploring in the hope of finding new technology and possibly new weapons? Who knows what emergent game play there may or may not be.

There are still lots of places with unknown permit locks on them. I wonder what these are hiding?

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom