David Braben: "Oculus Rift was integrated in the original game within a day"

Not talking about legs of course. We all know this could be tricky and complex. Many agrees that a delayed compatibility for Legs would be necessary.
But about flying and exploring atmospheric planets with our ships and SRV might not be that complex. I understand a developer like FDEV does not want to release partial compatibility at this stage (VR for atmospheric planets only at launch), but they should probably reconsider their position since this would fit with many VR players request.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN2BWY872M8&feature=youtu.be&t=562

Keep making noise until FDEV confirms VR will be compatible with the no legs part of Odyssey. Then continue making noise until FDEV adds VR to walking around (even if it's just in a limited form).
People should do it without being snarky and accusations though.

If they were to support VR in flight mode only, how are you suggesting they deal with feet mode?

One option would be a message saying "Sorry, you're legs don't work when VR is enabled", and just block the feature. I assume this would be the easiest to implement, but without someone to confirm engine architecture, its just a guess.

Alternatively, they could switch to rendering on a 2D panel in the VR 3D space. Pretty sure this would make a lot of people ill. It would certainly make me ill.

The other option would be to switch you back to your monitor (You'll have to take your headset off). The problem with this is that;
  1. They would need to provide two graphics configurations for this (current of course there is only one).
  2. The game would have to tear down all the render surfaces and other graphics resources its allocated, and recreate for the new render target. So you might be shown a load screen on the switch. )Its also plausible the game engine doesn't really support doing this)

Personally, I would prefer the final option. I'm not convinced VR is a good fit for multiplayer FPS anyway. I think my carpet would thank FDev for not going this route.

While I agree that proper implementation of VR for space legs is likely challenging... How long have they been working on this content again? Is it really such a shock to FDev that players of Elite Dangerous- a game often praised for it's awesome VR experience- would be keen on having VR for future content?

Alternatively, they could switch to rendering on a 2D panel in the VR 3D space. Pretty sure this would make a lot of people ill. It would certainly make me ill.

I don't get why though. No one gets ill while playing on a 2d monitor so why would playing on a 2d monitor in a virtual space make you sick?

II remember using psvr to play elite on the ps4 on a 2d screen. It was pretty good although psvr resolution wasn't that great. This was back when I still thought there was a chance fd will make vr on ps4 happen 😄

While I agree that proper implementation of VR for space legs is likely challenging... How long have they been working on this content again? Is it really such a shock to FDev that players of Elite Dangerous- a game often praised for it's awesome VR experience- would be keen on having VR for future content?

There's a world of difference between being sat in a chair with a fixed point of origin to moving around a lot. I'm far from a VR expert but correct me if I am wrong, the reason why ED is so good in VR and so immmmmeeeerssssive is precisely because you can't move around. All the VR you see revolves literally around your "head pivot".

Now you want that head pivot to move? And interact with other people? I have limited experience with VR but I don't remember it being good enough for that.

Oh there's that running around in a sliding foot rig thing? But that's a faff and also, a flight sim is drastically different to a running around sim.

Just my opinion.

I don't get why though. No one gets ill while playing on a 2d monitor so why would playing on a 2d monitor in a virtual space make you sick?
I think its related to the fact that the 2D panel has to be positioned in the virtual 3D space according to how you move your head. A least a few milliseconds latency is unavoidable, and if you couple this with fast moving image - motion sickness.

I very seldom feel nauseous in my ship, but i need to drive carefully in the SVR.

So they've made this decision just to insult you?
1591619132252.png

One option would be a message saying "Sorry, you're legs don't work when VR is enabled", and just block the feature. I assume this would be the easiest to implement, but without someone to confirm engine architecture, its just a guess.
I would be okay with this. I already suspect that space legs will be a separate "mini game" from flying (unlike Subnautica or Space Engineers or even Star Citizen), so when I'm in a mood for an FPS, I'll fire up the game in 2D for space legs, and when I'm in the mood for flying, I'll fire up the game in VR. I already do this when exploring - if I think I'll be in the FSS for the majority of the time (another mini game separated from flying), I'll just leave the headset packed away and play on my monitor.

Just to give you an idea how much more difficult FPS VR is to do properly. Half Life:Alex took 80 people almost 4 years to develop (According to Wikipedia). It's taken a team of similar size at FDev to come up with Odyssey without VR.
I think everyone, or almost, agrees that VR in FPS is a complete different beast.
My point instead is about enabling atmospheric planets and the new graphic tech for planets in Horizons after purchasing Odyssey to have all the new planets in VR (ship+SRV) and at the same time having Odyssey for a regular 2D gameplay (check my signature).
Full Legs integration can come at a later stage then.

There's a world of difference between being sat in a chair with a fixed point of origin to moving around a lot. I'm far from a VR expert but correct me if I am wrong, the reason why ED is so good in VR and so immmmmeeeerssssive is precisely because you can't move around. All the VR you see revolves literally around your "head pivot".

Now you want that head pivot to move? And interact with other people? I have limited experience with VR but I don't remember it being good enough for that.

Oh there's that running around in a sliding foot rig thing? But that's a faff and also, a flight sim is drastically different to a running around sim.

Just my opinion.
Multiplayer FPS games with VR exist, and have for a while. Hell, I played a version of Minecraft modded to support VR a few years ago. If some random 3rd party can figure out how to make Minecraft work just fine in the first person in VR back in the earlier days of the vive, then I would hope a studio like FDev would be about to figure something out in the however-many years they've been working on space legs.

Top Bottom