Ignoring or harming PvP in game design is contributing to ganking

Oh. Why not allow flexibility? Plus you don't really offer any improvement, or inducement to become involved with PvP.
Plus, even people that like PvP under some circumstances don't like it under all circumstances, or might not be in the mood right now, or whatever. A permanent toggle that has to be set on account creation would just be annoying - who wants to leap straight into hardcore pvp mode when they're still learning how to undock? Would someone that learns the ropes in safe mode and feels they're finally ready to jump into PvP have to wipe their save and make a new CMDR? What about people that are okay with fighting in CZs and arranged matches but just don't want to be ganked outside of Jameson's? Making them have to decide at the start and stick to it would have the exact same problems that open has on the latter part - that there's no way to opt in for desirable content without also opting in for undesirable - only it'd be kicked down the road to a smaller subset of players.

Plus, even people that like PvP under some circumstances don't like it under all circumstances, or might not be in the mood right now, or whatever. A permanent toggle that has to be set on account creation would just be annoying - who wants to leap straight into hardcore pvp mode when they're still learning how to undock? Would someone that learns the ropes in safe mode and feels they're finally ready to jump into PvP have to wipe their save and make a new CMDR? What about people that are okay with fighting in CZs and arranged matches but just don't want to be ganked outside of Jameson's? Making them have to decide at the start and stick to it would have the exact same problems that open has on the latter part - that there's no way to opt in for desirable content without also opting in for undesirable - only it'd be kicked down the road to a smaller subset of players.

Well, as for the decision-making stage, it can be postponed. For example, you can provide a choice after receiving the first battle rank. Although the player who prefers the Pvp style of play in principle understands this immediately. Unless ED is his first-ever game.

page 69.png

You sure about that? I'd probably make ejection a manual thing, implement a real economy, and require insurance plans to be purchased, among other changes...as far as the tools provided allowed me to implement such things.
Sounds good to me. Though does that mean perma death if you fail to eject? I'm not sure that extreme would be good. You might have meant something else though. I think real economy would be far better and more interesting. I'm not interested in trading now, I would be then.

Name a ship, let me equip it the way I want, minus reasonable space for cargo, then assemble the best gank wing of four ships and best four CMDRs you can find, and I'll escape nineteen times in twenty.

Sounds good to me. Though does that mean perma death if you fail to eject? I'm not sure that extreme would be good. You might have meant something else though. I think real economy would be far better and more interesting. I'm not interested in trading now, I would be then.
Well Braben did say that they would probably do a snapshot of the server side and allow it to be used one day, so I'm sure the community will take it on - the only trouble will be that we will have 50+ games to choose from, and a lot of empty galaxies.

Name a ship, let me equip it the way I want, minus reasonable space for cargo, then assemble the best gank wing of four ships and best four CMDRs you can find, and I'll escape nineteen times in twenty.
You are probably pretty high up on the pilot's skill ranking (I've seen a few videos), but, yeah some kind of special tool would be need to balance attack/defence better.

Sounds good to me. Though does that mean perma death if you fail to eject?

That would be the idea. Though I'd hope there would be a way to implement a simulator for friendly pitched battles/organized PvP practice.

Well Braben did say that they would probably do a snapshot of the server side and allow it to be used one day, so I'm sure the community will take it on - the only trouble will be that we will have 50+ games to choose from, and a lot of empty galaxies.

That is the problem. Frontier won't give up the game until it stops being profitable and by then it will be a museum piece.

Technically, Jumpgate is still around, but even that game (which was quite small scale) feels quite dead with a dozen active players.

Challenge accepted: I'll let you use a T6 :D

I can work with that.

Give me a couple days to Engineer one and we can have some fun.

I would love to try but while I'm okay, there are far better pilots out there. And we'd need that to have any chance at all to get you! I know how easy it is to escape if you're prepared and know what you're doing. Drag and FSD interrupt included.

How much time do you have to eject? Does having an insurance save you? Does ejecting without insurance still work, just pay full price? Do you have to eject manually before reaching 0%?

How much time do you have to eject? Does having an insurance save you? Does ejecting without insurance still work, just pay full price? Do you have to eject manually before reaching 0%?

In what I envisioned, insurance would only matter if you survived. Though I suppose an option to bequeath a sum to one's next CMDR could be a way to keep death something to be feared without having to start entirely from scratch.

I'd probably want to allow ejection until the ship broke apart (maybe three seconds after zero hull integrity...a PP explosion could be more sudden though)...or until a certain amount of damage was done to the cockpit of an already broken canopy. I never liked that my CMDR could eat a huge PA shot to the Remlock with nary a hint of sunburn.

Let my squadron have first attempt, ok? Sounds like fun :D

You guys are on PC, right?

Top Bottom