Ignoring or harming PvP in game design is contributing to ganking

In what I envisioned, insurance would only matter if you survived. Though I suppose an option to bequeath a sum to one's next CMDR could be a way to keep death something to be feared without having to start entirely from scratch.

I'd probably want to allow ejection until the ship broke apart (maybe three seconds after zero hull integrity...a PP explosion could be more sudden though)...or until a certain amount of damage was done to the cockpit of an already broken canopy. I never liked that my CMDR could eat a huge PA shot to the Remlock with nary a hint of sunburn.

You guys are on PC, right?
Yep

Do you do any PvP?

I do.

Not as an aggressor but several times as the defender. I'm not by any means an expert but I've had experience with various attacks.

Then again I can't get much out of your post so maybe you mean do I hunt other players, the answer to that is no. I'm still getting a feel for FA off flying and learning the wide range of weapons and tactics as opposed to what works in PVE.

If a very average pilot like me can escape a wing of 3 with drag munitions and FSD interrupt in a BGS python then a decent pilot won't have too many problems.

I'm not so sure. I've had experiences that were easy and ones where what they hit my ship with tools that rendered it helpless.

From my experience there is a wide range of attacker capabilities and used well they are devastating. Mind you, your Python was probably a lot more capable than my Type 7.

The next question is should the weapons of attack be unbeatable from a cargo player so they can threaten a pvp ship?

Morbad is one of the finest theorycrafters around.
Make it more interesting for him. No shielded or fast boot FSD. No armoured power plant. And make it a low wake, not a high wake. And no afm, either. ;)

Let's give it a go anyway ... :D
You will want a lot of long range rails to immediately snipe the FSD once the shields are down. A great pilot with long range super pen rails can snipe fsds in three to four precise shots. Morbad will easily counter drag, I think. Have some scramble spectrum for malfunctions. I don't think Morbad likes malfunctions very much. :) Strip the shields as fast as possible then snipe and cause malfunctions. Everyone will have a very nice time.
:)

Edit: You should also be sure to have emmissive on him as well.
Edit 2: And two medium feedback cascade rails in case he uses a bank tank.....

Last edited:
Don't waste your time OP. This forum is just a tiny fraction of the playerbase and it's rather unlikely that Fdev reads this. Most interesting stuff happens elsewhere.
Aye, it's all forum dads and carebears nowadays. Apart from the patch notes and the Raxxla megathread there's hardly any meaningful discussion. FDev aren't listening to anything PvP related because it would upset the 10% of people who whine about combat loggers not having enough time to yank their internet cord. Gods forbid that CMDRs experience any challenge to their power fantasy.

their power fantasy.

The TACO TACO may be power, but she's no fantasy!
k3xOV3b.jpg

I'm not so sure. I've had experiences that were easy and ones where what they hit my ship with tools that rendered it helpless.

From my experience there is a wide range of attacker capabilities and used well they are devastating. Mind you, your Python was probably a lot more capable than my Type 7.

The next question is should the weapons of attack be unbeatable from a cargo player so they can threaten a pvp ship?
If I understood correctly, the weapons discussed by pugwash would only have an enhanced effect on targets with a (PvP) bounty on them.

I do.

Not as an aggressor but several times as the defender. I'm not by any means an expert but I've had experience with various attacks.

Then again I can't get much out of your post so maybe you mean do I hunt other players, the answer to that is no. I'm still getting a feel for FA off flying and learning the wide range of weapons and tactics as opposed to what works in PVE.
My comment was really to see if you've got any experience fighting them. I've not had any problems escaping drag or FSD interrupt, even into low wake from a wing of experience commanders. Though I usually play fast ships. Regardless, drag isn't that impressive.

We also need to manage to win the interdiction... I got a feeling Morbad is more experienced at that then I am!

I doubt it. I can't even remember the last time I fought a CMDR interdiction except to delay the submission to a more suitable location or stall for time.

I'm generally trying to minimize the worst case outcome. Even if I could evade most CMDR interdictions (I can't) the cost of failing infrequently is higher than that of submitting every time, except in extreme cases. It's the choice between risking a 40 second cool down, or taking the 8 second one. 40 seconds plus FSD charge time is a long time to be in the same instance as an attacker in a relatively soft vessel.

Though I usually play fast ships. Regardless, drag isn't that impressive.

Drag is a nice effect, especially against ships with steep ENG pip curves (the T-6 is not particularly good in this regard). It also reduces boost acceleration.

It's still not a wonder weapon though, just one of the best effects you can put on seekers or frags.

How many force shell cannons can you handle...? Is 20 enough...?

Depends on their projectile velocity and how close you can keep those cannon.

Well, if we want to punt you about I suppose long range ones! Don't know how effective they would actually be to prevent someone waking however. As for range... Depends how close we can stay!

My comment was really to see if you've got any experience fighting them. I've not had any problems escaping drag or FSD interrupt, even into low wake from a wing of experience commanders. Though I usually play fast ships. Regardless, drag isn't that impressive.

Focus on the fast ships part. I had a Type 7 utterly locked down. Couldn't align for a high wake, even though I had it prepped, before the ship was gone and it took only a single FDL.

In any case what it takes to kill the various ships is quite different and the game is garbage for reporting how you lost so you have to piece it back together as best you can.

I've thrown several ships into traps I knew about because I wanted to see what pirates were using.

In my experience, with a hauler, if you want to live you need to emergency drop when you see the triangle then highwake.

Combat ships have more options.

Last edited:
So to add a bit to the original topic (at least as I understood it) I thought a bit about what could maybe lead to more "meaningful and emergent" PvP gameplay while keeping the equal "rights" of all modes. Here are two things I came up with (all ideas are very rough but may spark some discussion and ideas):
  • Close Quarter Combat IMO mainly lacks some sort of reward, "character"-progression and is not integrated into the game world.
    • Give rewards in form of Credits (maybe even Mats?) for both, victor and loser, to make it a viable in-universe-career to be a "CqC-Gladiator"
      • som might say this would be exploitable, but I'm sure this could be balanced somehow. Maybe only hand out the reward if the fight lasts longer than 5 Minutes?
    • Add a ladder for both, squadrons and commanders
    • Add some sort of "light" engineering
      • each ship gets one slot for weapon, shield, hull, thrusters
      • each slot can take up to 3 "tuning-components"
      • each ship can only take 6 "tuning-components" in total, so you will have to compromise
      • you're able to win corresponding "tuning-components" that can be placed in those slots
    • You can only be matched with players that have equipped +/- 1 component more than you, otherwise, the player with more may choose to unequip components
    • Add the locations in the game Universe for sake of immersion and advertising
    • Add a "simulator" function, where you can field any ship of your fleet (or any stock ship you like) against opponents, but without risking to lose assets or credits.
  • Power Play:

Since I have seriously engaged in PP a few months back, I realized that, while not all, at least a good portion of the Power players enjoy open play with all its dangers. Of that portion, many dedicated players seek for emergent PvP in that context. My Idea is not about the Powerplay-Mechanics. Smarter and more experienced players have made great suggestions and I'll leave that to them. My suggestion would be to "defragment" the PowerPlay-Community to better bring together those players. In fact, my idea would mean a deep cut in the current situation, as I suggest to get rid of ALL Powers and replace them with Alliance, Empire, and Federation only. You may notice that there is no "Pirate" faction. In Fact, while I enjoy fighting for the Pirate-King, I don't think it's very believable that a pirate kingdom could span more than one or two planets. Pirates can get their letter of marquee from any power, or none at all. Maybe we can find a place for a criminal Power in such a system together? Maybe they wouldn't need "own" systems but would live in "host" Systems like a parasite?

Top Bottom