Make it hard

Go shoot some hydra"s, or pay San Tu or Deszra a visit, in open.
Gotra say I'm not a fan of the boss fight mechanics, although I can solo Cyclops no probe. I'm not a combat pilot but have played open at Shinrarta just to annoy gankers. I just feel that stronger npc's would give the game a bit more edge, also put more emphasis of engineering ships properly before setting off for mining, trading etc.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
I just feel that stronger npc's would give the game a bit more edge, also put more emphasis of engineering ships properly before setting off for mining, trading etc.
Given that only about 50% of the potential player-base even own a copy of Horizons, I doubt that Frontier will rebase the challenge posed by the game in general around engineered ships (and they will know how many or few Engineers players who do own Horizons have bothered to unlock too).

As already mentioned, not every player has the same level of skill - and Frontier set the challenge posed by the game taking into account all players, not just they highly skilled.

Anyone remember some time back when the npc's were actually dangerous, and subsequently got nerfed? Would like to see them back and think they would fit the game nicely now.
I remember ! They had engineered ships and would interdict you in same system non-stop :oops:
(And getting out of interdiction was twice as hard)
As RM said, not fair on non-horizon CMDRs.

Given that only about 50% of the potential player-base even own a copy of Horizons, I doubt that Frontier will rebase the challenge posed by the game in general around engineered ships (and they will know how many or few Engineers players who do own Horizons have bothered to unlock too).

As already mentioned, not every player has the same level of skill - and Frontier set the challenge posed by the game taking into account all players, not just they highly skilled.
Yes, not everyone has the same skill level, but making it so easy that everyone can easily survive at all times is - IMO - not the ideal answer.

Sure, have very safe zones with high security and relatively low profits, but also have the opposite.

For people really trying to test themselves there is AX, true, but all optional. You can be in Thargoid infested space and never see one - or at least not an agressive one.

There should be real danger in Elite: Dangerous. Not a completely optional one. At times we should be overwhelmed and run for our lives. And sometimes even destroyed.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
There should be real danger in Elite: Dangerous. Not a completely optional one. At times we should be overwhelmed and run for our lives. And sometimes even destroyed.
It's clear that some players want that. Whether it should be the general case for all players, or not, is a matter of opinion. There are already situations where the player very likely has to flee to survive - and I expect that Frontier already know from their game analytics how many players are destroyed playing the PvE aspects of the game.

Last edited:
What's with people and their lever wiggling from one extreme to another? NPCs too hard? Nerf them to oblivion. Now they are too easy - buff them significantly. Rinse and repeat.

Why can't we have difficulty grades? We already have threat levels - tune NPCs accordingly. Helpless, novice and everything on that side should be like fishing in a barrel. You win if you manage to hit them. On the other side, dangerous or elite should be approached with skill and gear.

Something for everyone. I want to have easy target just to blow off some steam. If I want a challenge I'll go to high threat place. But leave me easy victims too.

We're they actually hard or did they just require engineering? They still require engineering.

The trouble is hard to FD is Big 3 or FDL. Making them G5 is a start, but they become bullet sponges that still act wonky from time to time. FD should sit down and design NPCs that are varied across the ship classes and engineer them in various ways. Imagine fighting a wing of 6 phasing Sidewinders, or a nest of Vipers with reverb munitions, actually stretch a player rather than mash fire and facetank a lord in a Corvette.

As it is hard to make a balanced NPC to suit all tastes, why don't you 'handicap' your ship? Use weaker sheilds, strip the engineering off of your weapons. Then NPC's will be harder for you.

Then whats the point of having G5 engineering, or taking the time to get big ships? Missions should have a top end thats far beyond the capability of a player G5 ship, that way they are isolated but there. We have ranks for reason, FD need to scale to it accordingly since we choose where to go (hazardous or not), choose missions (hard or not), or situations (stacking etc). The other is making anarchy systems dangerous, again, optional but needed.

Top Bottom