Ships Type-10 Defender Anti-thargoid scout build

I want to preface this by stating that yes I am aware that the type 10 is garbage when it comes to AX combat. That being said I was not aware of that fact years ago when I made my first attempt at killing an interceptor. I know better now and I've had a fully engineered unused T 10 sitting in my hangar ever since.

Now my reason for posting is I want to build a ship for fighting scouts. I was thinking the other day that there will probably be a need for more thargoid materials in the future so I was thinking it might be a good idea to dust off my old T10.

I've put together a build and I would like some feedback on ways I can improve it.

1) I've heard that large AX turreted mc's are the best for dealing with scouts. Is this true or do I need to go with fixed/guardian weapons?

2) is point defense effective against the scouts caustic missiles?

3) am I wasting my time and should I just find another ship?

4) I've included some beam weapons to take down their shields and some regular MC's because... I already have them engineered/left over from other builds and it's an empty weapons slot so why not?

Thank you in advance everyone o7

1) I've heard that large AX turreted mc's are the best for dealing with scouts. Is this true or do I need to go with fixed/guardian weapons?

The AX turrets will chop them to shreds. Other weapons won't do much but since you've got the hardpoints, why not?

3) am I wasting my time and should I just find another ship?

I think it is wholly unsuited, with scouts as fast and nimble as they are. But they aren't that tough and I reckon you'll do fine. I think you should do it just because you can.

4) I've included some beam weapons to take down their shields and some regular MC's because... I already have them engineered/left over from other builds and it's an empty weapons slot so why not?

Right, they won't do much, but better than nothing, I'd say.

I think it is wholly unsuited, with scouts as fast and nimble as they are. But they aren't that tough and I reckon you'll do fine. I think you should do it just because you can.
I was hoping the turrets would be able to compensate for lack of agility. Well see If it's enough I guess. thank you for replying.

Well, they will to an extent, but you might have three or four scouts buzzing around and the turrets cannot track them all.

Having not flown a T-10, since it's like a Type-9 just not as terrible, I don't know where they are located on the ship. Maybe they'll do fine. Scouts are not tough, you will kill plenty. But the longer it takes, the more you get hit, and removing/repairing the goo damage takes time. If you stick to the threat 3 and 4 NHSS you'll never have an issue. If you go higher, or AX CZ, then things change a bit.

Last edited:
AX turrets will obliterate scouts. Pd's will not stop caustic missle's.
Should I swap out the point defense for another shield booster or maybe something else?

Well, they will to an extent, but you might have three or four scouts buzzing around and the turrets cannot track them all.

Having not flown a T-10, since it's like a Type-9 just not as terrible, I don't know where they are located on the ship. Maybe they'll do fine. Scouts are not tough, you will kill plenty. But the longer it takes, the more you get hit, and removing/repairing the goo damage takes time. If you stick to the threat 3 and 4 NHSS you'll never have an issue. If you go higher, or AX CZ, then things change a bit.
Yeah it maneuvers like a type 9 but it's very tanky. Back when I built it to fight interceptors I went up against a Medusa having 0 experience at what I was doing and could stay in the fight a fairly decent amount of time before I had to retreat. I'm hoping It can tank decent sized groups of scouts.

Yeah, you've gobs of integrity, you'll be fine.

I prefer a much more agile and fast ship for such things, well all things really, and I mustn't let my paradigm, shift another's.

I'm all for attempting things outside the meta. So I support this initiative, and like I said you'll be fine unless you go to the heaviest places, and maybe even then.

Just wanted to give an update. I finished engineering my T10 yesterday and didn't have time to put it through a thorough test run but I put it through 3 threat 4's and only suffered 5% hull damage. So far it seems like a successful build. I'm going to attempt to take it through a threat 6 swarm and hopefully avoid running into a basilisk.

Just wanted to give an update. I finished engineering my T10 yesterday and didn't have time to put it through a thorough test run but I put it through 3 threat 4's and only suffered 5% hull damage. So far it seems like a successful build. I'm going to attempt to take it through a threat 6 swarm and hopefully avoid running into a basilisk.

Interesting, i considered putting together a variant build of my own WIP T10 build for anti-thargoid work, but after reading that the turreted EX stuff doesn't work without a second player i decided to build somthing more maneuverable. Was that not an issue for you?

AX turrets are great of course, but normal weapons are quite effective also.
I regularly used my laser chieftain to hunt scouts and they went down fast.

just saying..

Interesting, i considered putting together a variant build of my own WIP T10 build for anti-thargoid work, but after reading that the turreted EX stuff doesn't work without a second player i decided to build somthing more maneuverable. Was that not an issue for you?
Turreted weapons have three modes. Fire at will, fire on target, and something that makes it act like a fixed weapon. Everyone says to use fire on target and that's what I did. I didn't have any trouble getting it to work. It's not the same as a gimballed weapon but the convergence on the T10 is horrible so you pretty much need to have turrets to make it effective.

Turreted weapons have three modes. Fire at will, fire on target, and something that makes it act like a fixed weapon. Everyone says to use fire on target and that's what I did. I didn't have any trouble getting it to work. It's not the same as a gimballed weapon but the convergence on the T10 is horrible so you pretty much need to have turrets to make it effective.

They may have changed somthing and the wiki just hasn't been updated with the new info. The wiki currently claims they, (experimental weapons), will only operate in fixed mode unless you have a second player along to act as a turret gunner.

They may have changed somthing and the wiki just hasn't been updated with the new info. The wiki currently claims they, (experimental weapons), will only operate in fixed mode unless you have a second player along to act as a turret gunner.
:unsure: hmm. That is weird. Idk what to tell you there. I didn't have much trouble using them and I had some regular gimbaled MCs to go with it but they were certainly firing on their own. Maybee it was broken in a previous build?

Ax mc turrets work like they should. They aim without npc pilot
As I understand it, they can shoot themselves, but only forward.

When you choose this weapon in the game, it is written that the turret mode works only in multiplayer mode.

Since Scouts can be killed with ordinary weapons, I think you can replace ah turrets with ordinary mс turrets.

Top Bottom