General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I don't think that that will happen.

But who knows - this is the first time for 100 years that the west has been affected to this degree so there may be some ongoing mask reaction post epidemic. Obviously in parts of Asia they were harder hit by other viruses in more recent times which presumably gave rise to their mask wearing.

But I think here it will only last as long as there is some significant amount of virus in the population or, until there is an effective vaccine.

It will get people thinking about personal distancing and hygiene in the meantime and who knows that may even have a suppressing effect on seasonal flu mask or no mask.
Regarding the mask, I also thought of the pollution as in the big Asian cities. :)

🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠😷

Yes there are many other reasons to wear a mask.

But this is a constraint.

In France, wearing a mask in all enclosed public places will be obligatory from August 1. :(

🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠😷

There is growing evidence of the Virus being airborne, spreading via aerosols, really tiny droplets which do not drop quickly, and travel farther than the ones a person spreads when coughing or sneezing . Even though there is ciriticism about WHO's position on this, the possibility of this being the case was part of their guidance from the start really .

Japan's - in some aspects unique - way of dealing with the pandemic - incoorporated the Idea, with the guidance of avoiding the 3 Cs : Closed Spaces, Crowded Places and Close Contact Settings, especially advising people to avoid situations where those overlap .

The Virus being airborne (would) basically means that people shed it simply by breathing out, and virusload can accumulate quickly, especially in closed, non ventilated spaces .

Avoiding the 3 Cs, and wearing a mask, preferrably actually filtering ones unless in the open, has been a good Idea for a while . Not bad French government catches up imho .

Last edited:
There is growing evidence of the Virus being airborne, spreading via aerosols, really tiny droplets which do not drop quickly, and travel farther than the ones a person spreads when coughing or sneezing . Even though there is ciriticism about WHO's position on this, the possibility of this being the case was part of their guidance from the start really .

Japan's - in some aspects unique - way of dealing with the pandemic - incoorporated the Idea, with the guidance of avoiding the 3 Cs : Closed Spaces, Crowded Places and Close Contact Settings, especially advising people to avoid situations where those overlap .

The Virus being airborne (would) basically means that people shed it simply by breathing out, and virusload accumulates, especially in closed, non ventilated spaces .

Avoiding the 3 Cs, and wearing a mask, preferrably actually filtering ones unless in the open, has been a good Idea for a while . Not bad French government catches up imho .
Yes the government is forced to do it, after many calls from doctors and epidemiologists / virologists.

This is a good thing.

For my part, as long as I can do my jogging in the forest without wearing the mask, this is essential. :)

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

The good news is we are about to see a spectacular drop in cases. The bad news is that somehow the hospitals will still face an increase in patients. Puzzling.

So I did a little searching to set the record straight and found two helpful websites you folks might find interesting:

- Testing by Country:
As opposed to the common belief mentioned during our livestream, the USA is not doing a comparably bad job at testing :-(

In fact, the USA (3rd largest country by population) has tested more people "per capita" then the 7 other largest countries. combined.

Yes, its true that the numbers show Russia (#9) and UK (#21) have reported testing more per capita, but after that the next country to do better is the city state Singapore (112th in population size) with it's 5.9 million residents.

Could it be better? Sure - anything can. But is the USA currently doing relatively good with testing? These numbers suggest they are.

We've been using that size for five months now in that topic, so I think we find it interesting I guess. Anyway: your 'more per capita than the 7 other largest countries combined' is statistical gibberish. I dont know what you attempted to do, but whatever it was this aint how you do it. Anyway, the US reported 133,441/mil capita testing. That puts it roughly in the same park as Portugal, Spain, and Belgium and a bit less than countries such as the UK and Denmark.

But that isn't the point. For example, Portugal reported on average less than 10% of the daily new cases they reported early April. That means they got it under control, for now. For the US that is a whopping 200%. It means they got nothing under control. And you are not doing 20x more tests, relatively speaking. You are doing slightly less (133,441 vs 134,066).

The obvious conclusion is what all the obvious experts were predicting and are now pointing at: the US failed catastrophically to deal with it in the early stages, refused to correct course (or rather, set any course at all) and are now faced with an economy that is worse off than those who properly dealt with it, with no end in sight nor a plan of attack. Anyone who thinks this is 'because they test so much' simply doesn't grasp numbers all that well. Which is fine, that is what the CDC and people like Fauci are for.

The good news is we are about to see a spectacular drop in cases. The bad news is that somehow the hospitals will still face an increase in patients. Puzzling.
It is the increase in the decrease.

It's very fashionable today.

The decrease in the increase is also very used.

I hate the technocrats and their personal way of using the logic. :)

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Last edited:

That could be the couple of weeks where you have covid but it hasn't seriously affected the lungs yet. The hospitalizations would lag.

For the 1/100th time! If you stick your head in the sand and see no problems, then you have no problems! I am genius, I has spoken!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom