Will PS4 get the Cobra Mk IV?

• Thread starter Deleted member 110222
  • Start date
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Easily abused. I could simply give all my friends a Cobra Mk IV to order.

To be quite honest I'm already seeing an illicit ship-selling service for real money here.
You mean you have to find an NPC, capture it, then let them "steal" it from you, and it's lost completely if destroyed. Not sure how this is an abuse?
As for paying money for it, not any worse than using EIC to give you stuff to unlock engineers (and probably less time consuming to grab a CMK4).

... and that there are (only) some 20k players of Elite on all platforms ...
Not sure where you got this number?
There's around 23,000 monthly average users on PS4 alone (according to Gamstat), so at least that again for Xbox, and many times more PC.

You mean you have to find an NPC, capture it, then let them "steal" it from you, and it's lost completely if destroyed. Not sure how this is an abuse?
As for paying money for it, not any worse than using EIC to give you stuff to unlock engineers (and probably less time consuming to grab a CMK4).

Not sure where you got this number?
There's around 23,000 monthly average users on PS4 alone (according to Gamstat), so at least that again for Xbox, and many times more PC.
I'm afraid I can't support that figure with any reference, it's a figure that I saw a few weeks ago and it's from memory, I believe it was for on line at any time... steam charts are fluctuating between 4-9k for the game, and although it's only part of the story we don't know what part, however, 'mmo populations' have the incredulous figure of 11.5 million players... I can't see that's right either, so your figure of a monthly total is going to be different to my figure of on line at one time.
Believe me the figure I mentioned wasn't in any way meant to be denigrating to Elite Dangerous.

How reliable are those figures Stinja? 13,000 new Elite players in a month on PS4? Not sure I buy it.
They do look high, here's their methodology: https://gamstat.com/how/

I'm wondering there's a bug in the PSN API, but it coud be something like an existing player comes back after some months off, earns a trophy and is a "new player", when in reality they are a returning player.

As Skip RockBounder points out, it depends exactly on what stat one wants. Current players at any moment (ie: 07:32 on 9/8/2020) is different to all monthly active accounts (that might just be logging in to see if anything changed, quitting after 2 mins). Only FDev can say for sure and they're very relucant to provide numbers, except the odd snapshot on an infographic.

Anyway, if they want a bump for cash from console players, they better show better engagement with Odessey. I'd be wary recommending to anyone, and may swap to PC myself depending what they show (pratically, not promise) for 2020/2021.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Yeh I read the methodology. It seems plausible but, I just don't believe those numbers.

Not sure I could be bothered to swap back to PC gaming. I will certainly wait to see how Oddesey runs on the PS4 before parting with my cash. Maybe by then we will be more clear on what FDev intend to do with respect to the PS5, if anything.

Well it doesn't look like the Cobra MkIV made it into the latest release :(

Edit - talked myself into (and then out of) a logic problem

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
The Beluga Liner and Cobra Mk IV can no longer be selected in the Livery unless the player has the Horizons DLC.

It did! Just not for PS4. I don't think any of us really expect to see this on PS4 now do we?

It did! Just not for PS4. I don't think any of us really expect to see this on PS4 now do we?
yeah - edit previous post, I got tied up in double negatives etc.
I hope that one day, Frontier allow equivalence of ships across all platofrms but as it didn't make the list for this drop, I don't expect anything before Odyysey.

Yep denied :( Summary to date:

So we know it's technically possible, as when they "accidently" released the Black Friday skins for the Cobra MK4 and a number of us bought it:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH0EdSzjdM0
Which is the closest we've got to controlling a Cobra MK4 on the PS4.

A timeline (thanks Snowymonk) and the communication as follows.
  • The Cobra MkIV was first provided as an exclusive on PC for anyone who pre-ordered Horizons before it’s released. December 2015
  • The offer was then extended to March 2016 (on PC) to pickup additional sales
  • Horizons was released on Xbox in June 2016 (three months later)
  • Xbox commanders complained and the offer was re-instated on Xbox to appease them
  • PS4 players queried the Cobra MK4 as a pre-order bonus after launch announcement
12/12/2016, 8:48 AM: Gary Richards said: We are still working out the finer details of the PS4 Release and there'll be further announcements closer to the time.

24/11/2017, 3:23 PM: Lloyd Morgan-Moore said: Unfortunately I don't have any news to give you on this at the minute, but we haven't forgotten about the Mk IV for PS4 players!

27/06/2018, 8:42 AM: Lloyd Morgan-Moore said: I'm going to be chasing this up today, I'm aware how eager everyone is to get into the seat of the Mk IV [yesnod]

29/09/2018: Customer support said (link dead/wiped): We recommend PS4 users keep an eye on our social media channels for updates regarding the Cobra Mk IV

03/12/2019 5:45pm: Paige Harvey said: We have nothing to announce regarding the Cobra MK IV’s availability on PlayStation 4 at the current time.

8/4/2020 9:32pm: Tim Smith said: Currently, there are no plans for that at the moment.

16/7/2020 02:04pm: Arthur Tolmie said: took me a while to ask the right people as this was before my time here. The Cobra MK IV was an excluve reward to PC and XBOX players that upgraded to Horizons within a year (I believe) and will not be coming to PS4.

===

As well as the muddled "one-time exclusive" which was reoffered to PC, Xbox and LEP players, here's the links to "being unfair" (Fdev's words) to not offer the Cobra MK4 to Xbox cmdrs, but this doesn't seem to apply to us :rolleyes:

The thread where FDev seemed to announce the Cobra MK4 offer to Xbox commanders:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259478-Cobra-Mk-IV

Particularly this post by Zac Antonaci, where he says it's to give parity between Xbox and PC commanders on the offer.
This specifically is much more about the Xbox Commanders having the same opportunity as PC players had.

Then this follow-up post:
However, to be clear, if we didn't make this available for Xbox players it would have then become unfair to them (as they couldn't have purchased at that time).

Ultimately this should be a positive thing, for the Xbox Community answering the questions they have been asking about the Cobra MK IV but instead seems to be slipping into a debate about the finer points of shorter term promotional offers.

So yeah after waiting over three years, seems we are indeed the console peasants...

So yeah after waiting over three years, seems we are indeed the console peasants...

I don't think they think of us even as highly as that. I'm pretty sure they just saw us as a cash cow when they realised that it would be a relatively simple matter to port ED to the PS4.

I have to wonder how many PS4 players such as myself will tell them to shove the upcoming paid for release.

I get that FD are in a bind. The people who met the criteria, in some cases, are very protective about their exclusivity, FD wont break that and pee those people off but in turn that means PS4 players get to be peed off.

Simple solution, make a ship only available to the LEP people and PS4 owners.

I’m not bothered to be honest. I hear the ship aint great and imagine it’s exclusivity is what makes it so desirable. I bet if they released it to all, most would try it, discover it’s meh and move on.

I cut out the middleman, meh it from the start and move on.

Im not sure if any of you folks noticed but the new CM arthur responed saying fdev basically said its never going to happen, in so many words. Its a shame i know, im on ps4 myself. But we're not going to will it into existence 🙄

Hey sorry for the delay in coming back on this one, took me a while to ask the right people as this was before my time here.

The Cobra MK IV was an excluve reward to PC and XBOX players that upgraded to Horizons within a year (I believe) and will not be coming to PS4.

I know this is not the answer you hoped for, I am sorry about that but I would rather tell you how it is rather than give you any false hope.

-Arf

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom