Small buff to the Keelback

I suggest Frontier change one of the ships size 2 slots into two size 1 slots. (As a side note, this is also a change I think could reasonable be made to the Type 6 and the DBX.) This would add a little more versatility and, at least for me, a lot more joy when flying my Keelback. Implementing this would not expand the ships internal space, nor would it turn the Keelback into a new meta ship; it would just make it a little bit more flexible.

Edit: Thanks to @Frenotx I have a better idea.
Change it so the DSS go into a sub-slot on the Sensors. (This would of course apply to all ships.) For me personally this would free up the "missing" slot on the Keelback, making it into a truly multi-purpose ship. You would of course still have to spec it for what you're doing; it just wouldn't miss that one thing every time.
The good thing about this is that it would give all ships the ability to explore, something I think Frontier would want to encurage, while not negatively affecting the balance between ships.
Explorers would gain a little bit of staying power out in the black.
Combat builds would be able to scan planets.
Different doing-things-in-the-the-bubble builds would gain a little bit of utillity.
I don't know about you, but I think this is a win-win situation for all.

Last edited:
I ruddy love my Keelback. It was the first ship I set myself as a proper purchase target because of the SLF hangar and it’s simply gorgeous and brick-like. I traded in it, I ran passengers in it, I even slapped some missiles on it and took it into a combat zone which was ill advised so early in my career but hella good fun!

It’s now fitted out as a search & rescue, salvage and repair ship, up-armoured for hazardous operations, and I might revisit the missile boat concept by sticking a couple of torpedos on the small hardpoints.

It might not be the best at anything, but it’s a joy to fly and I absolutely adore it. Lakon for life!

Keelback is a beast. My most flown ship... Heck I've even rammed a planet at 12km/s in one and survived, deffo a beast!

Not sure I understand why the need to swap a size 2 into 2 size 1 slots though.

It's already very versatile in it's current setup.

I've yet toi explore the multi-role capabilities of the Keelback, seems like a ship that can do one thing at a time pretty well, but can be equipped for different roles.
I tend to use mine as early miner, and "My first" SLF platform, for early training in res sites of lower ranked pilots.

Not seeing too much wrong in either config.

Simon

Keelback is a beast. My most flown ship... Heck I've even rammed a planet at 12km/s in one and survived, deffo a beast!

Not sure I understand why the need to swap a size 2 into 2 size 1 slots though.

It's already very versatile in it's current setup.

Because unless I do a pure combat build, which is the definition of not flexible, or try to squeeze out as much cargo space as possible, in which case I wouldn't be flying a Keelback, I always end up with one of the size 2 slots being used for a size 1 limpet controller and missing something; that wasted space would be so usefull. I realise that others might not have this small problem, it's just my point of view. To be honest I wouldn't mind if the just added a size 1 slot, but considering what they already has been able to squeeze into that frame I doubt there's room.
And don't misunderstand, I think the Keelback is a fantastic little ship! With this small change I would live in it. Just me and my little swamp rat co-pilot out in the black.

Because unless I do a pure combat build, which is the definition of not flexible, or try to squeeze out as much cargo space as possible, in which case I wouldn't be flying a Keelback, I always end up with one of the size 2 slots being used for a size 1 limpet controller and missing something; that wasted space would be so usefull. I realise that others might not have this small problem, it's just my point of view. To be honest I wouldn't mind if the just added a size 1 slot, but considering what they already has been able to squeeze into that frame I doubt there's room.
And don't misunderstand, I think the Keelback is a fantastic little ship! With this small change I would live in it. Just me and my little swamp rat co-pilot out in the black.

Fair enough. I guess I must fit my keelies differently to you as I generally don't waste any size classes on my setups.

I’ve never understood why you couldn’t fit two size one modules into one size two slot.

Maybe use a size five slot to house a size 3 module with a either a size two module or two size one modules. Mix and match.

Yeah, I can tell you that that wasted space is annoying me mightily. I'm very curious what it is you leave out that I don't. Maybe the DSS?

It very much depend on what I'm setting up the KB for really...

I have 'general duties' kind of build for just mucking about but usually I'll fit for task if I'm doing something specific.

I’ve never understood why you couldn’t fit two size one modules into one size two slot.

Maybe use a size five slot to house a size 3 module with a either a size two module or two size one modules. Mix and match.

In a real world there's absolutely no reason. Bit as it's a game it's about Balance. Let's say you put three 1D hull reinforcements into a size 3 slot. Not only will that give you a higher hull boost, but you can also engineer each and everyone of them them for resistance. I.e, no balance.

A size 2 slot will fit one size 1 collector limpit controller.

Two size 1 slots will fit two size 1 collector limpit controllers.

That is the ops issue in a nutshell.

He beieves he is missing out on optimum build space as he can not put two into one.

Its all about putting square pegs into round holes.

An issue that actually affects all ships, and is just an issue with the slot size design, rather than the ships themselves.

In a real world there's absolutely no reason. Bit as it's a game it's about Balance. Let's say you put three 1D hull reinforcements into a size 3 slot. Not only will that give you a higher hull boost, but you can also engineer each and everyone of them them for resistance. I.e, no balance.

Right. Not considered that. Thanks.

I suspect Frontier will do this AFTER they add a class 4 internal slot to the Asp Explorer.
This would provide a lot more options like a corrosion resistant cargo rack, 4G hangar,
larger AMFU or refinery, add more collectors etc. I've been waiting 5 years on this so it
is pretty safe to say that it is not going to happen.

Combining all the optional slots to allow you to put what you wish in would be great.

To do it though, they would have to make each option singular.

This would stop all stacking issues.

So only one hull protection module, one collector limpit, one extra fuel tank, etc.

But the sizes would be more choosable... Size 6 bi weave in that cobra 3...sure, but it takes all of your 64t space, so nothing else is going in that ship.

Never going to happen though.

Top Bottom