What other games are we all playing?

Factorio has its hooks in me... Deep. It makes Dawn of Discovery and Annon games look like tutorial levels for children lol. Loving it. Cant imagine doing it in 3d with Satisfactory.

Played Torchlight II for a full week already (never played it before) - it was free on EG last week and i kinda like to collect freebies on EG, but i usually dont play them.
This was the exception
When it came out, we played it with a friend for almost a half a year. It's a great game. IIRC the people who worked on it are the former Blizzard guys who did the original Diablo, so that's why. :)

Reposting this here as it was accidentally included in a wrong thread

Empyrion Galactic received another impressive 12.x update. This one overhauled NPC AI, making encounters with lone NPCs (or what appears to be harmless/nuetral NPCs) a more dynamic and deadlier experience. Both in space and planet side.
  • Now you can be a neutral scout mapping/exploring the territory from a new solar system you just traveled to in space. And while intent on minding your own business, happen to pass an NPC trader ship in the unknown region of space. This unknown NPC, by default of being a trader vessel, behaves neutrally towards your scout ship. You in your scout ship presses on deeper into this unknown territory in space. Only to suddenly find yourself facing an armada of heavily gunned security warships bearing down on your hapless scout ship several moments later. And then finding yourself being obliterated only moments later. All because that neutral trader NPC alerted security reinforcements about your trespassing and violating their sovereign space. Or
  • you might travel to a new system which factions are in open warfare. And just like in ED, can become engaged with one or more in support/opposition of said NPCs factions. Or
  • you might be engaged in a space dogfight with a hostile NPC pirate. Be on the verge of beating said rouge NPC pilot, only to discover he called in multiple shock support. So now you're locked into a deadly gankfest dog fighting this NPCs entire gang of scurvy pirate crew....
IMO this last, recent update to alpha, puts the dangers of space travel and exploration (both planet side & in space) in EGS on par with that of ED and X4.

Best news:
after some 6+ years, 5 devs and 2 game designers or so later, EGS is finally leaving alpha phase. It's now set to exist Early Access on Steam on Aug 5th. :geek:

High kudos to the tiny EGS dev team. Who despite their minuscule team size and setbacks from Covid, still managed to accomplish finishing this major dev milestone. Particularly the massive technical advances the likes of the proc gen universe update. Which took EGS emergent game play for both solo and MMO players to the next level (on par with NMS and ED)

Can't wait for this...I loved the original game, played the trilogy on Xbox...now the definitive editions of Mafia 2 and 3 on PC. This is the last in the trilogy to be done...looks fantastic.
Mafia 1 by 1000%. Couldn't find anywhere to buy this classic title. Mafia 2 Yes again. Best character anti hero protags in the series IMO. Playing Vito & Joe remain unforgettable experiences. THIS is how an Action/crime RPGs should have continued being made. Like we had when R* released the peak of the GTA franchise which was GTA San Andreas, Like GTA SA, Mafia 1 & 2 have become timeless works of art that the industry is likely not going to see from AAA devs ever again.

OTOH Mafia 3.....

Odds of the Definitive Edition of 3 containing the exact same game engine breaking bugs: 100:1.

Sun.exe gone AWOL @0:20 min was my fav bug on the PC end back in the day :ROFLMAO:

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TR1NkLzNxc

TrollALoLMAOoooo. You simply. CANNOT. Make. Any. Of. That. BooSh8te.Up :ROFLMAO: <-- and yes,I experienced a good number of those bugs at least once before they chased me away from completing the repetitiously mindless, grind fest of a joke that Mafia 3 sadly turned out to be. Ended up getting the best bang for my AAA dollars wasted on this "game" by watching an hour or so of all the compilation movie cut scenes in the game. That was about the only feature aspect of Mafia 3 which is praiseworthy in any terms of replay value IMO.

All j/k about anemic MVP content and game breaking bugs aside: What an incredible GOTY this would've been without the SJW political grandstanding the devs thought would sell this broken, buggy, content famished, repetitious MVP of a single player title. So much potential wasted..... :cautious:

SMH.

Viva Mafia 1 & 2 via Definitive Edition for ever. And thanks to Mafia 3, RIP Mafia franchise.

Last edited:
Mafia 1 by 1000%. Couldn't find anywhere to buy this classic title. Mafia 2 Yes again. Best character anti hero protags in the series IMO. Playing Vito & Joe remain unforgettable experiences. THIS is how an Action/crime RPGs should have continued being made. Like we had when R* released the peak of the GTA franchise which was GTA San Andreas, Like GTA SA, Mafia 1 & 2 have become timeless works of art that the industry is likely not going to see from AAA devs ever again.

OTOH Mafia 3.....

Odds of the Definitive Edition of 3 containing the exact same game engine breaking bugs: 100:1.

Sun.exe gone AWOL @0:20 min was my fav bug on the PC end back in the day :ROFLMAO:

TrollALoLMAOoooo. You simply. CANNOT. Make. Any. Of. That. BooSh8te.Up :ROFLMAO: <-- and yes,I experienced a good number of those bugs at least once before they chased me away from completing the repetitiously mindless, grind fest of a joke that Mafia 3 sadly turned out to be. Ended up getting the best bang for my AAA dollars wasted on this "game" by watching an hour or so of all the compilation movie cut scenes in the game. That was about the only feature aspect of Mafia 3 which is praiseworthy in any terms of replay value IMO.

All j/k about anemic MVP content and game breaking bugs aside: What an incredible GOTY this would've been without the SJW political grandstanding the devs thought would sell this broken, buggy, content famished, repetitious MVP of a single player title. So much potential wasted..... :cautious:

SMH.

Viva Mafia 1 & 2 via Definitive Edition for ever. And thanks to Mafia 3, RIP Mafia franchise.
I bought the Mafia definitive trilogy on Steam for £50...includes all the DLC and addons for all 3 games too. So far (touch wood) I haven't had any of the old Mafia 3 bugs...there was a patch recently that fixed most of them...didn't improve the relentless game grind any, but hey...I class it as a freebie since I only wanted Mafia 1 and 2...if just for this bit of Mafia 2. My favourite Dean Martin song butchered mercilessly...

All I wish for now is definitive editions of The Godfather and Scarface...both were class back in 2005/2006.

Last edited:
Factorio has its hooks in me... Deep. It makes Dawn of Discovery and Annon games look like tutorial levels for children lol. Loving it. Cant imagine doing it in 3d with Satisfactory.
I liked it - up to the point when I felt overwhelmed. I was planing out a smelter line and at the same time trying to understand drones, auto contruction and its logistics. Never fully understood it. I think a number of things I just didn't get added up and I gave up bothering - like train signals. the never worked as expected. Did the tutorials multiple times and when it got complicated it never worked out. I solved by trial and error and that isn't really good for a game of automation. Smart wiring and programming, too. I remember trying to tweak a line of coal by having a demand-depended switch - I gave up on that and just let it run.

OTOH Mafia 3.....

SMH.

I quit Mafia 2 somewhere in between. I were supposed to gather wossname 1000 dollas in game and the missions gave me like 50. I was like what do you think I'm doing here?! Jesus Lord that was annoying.

I'm playing a lot of Space Haven right now.

Nice cross between FTL and a base building game.
I tried it and put it on hold - the way they follow tasks is very irritating and not fluent. Also didn't like the gunfights. I hope they improve on that. And skill progression - really missed that. Would really like it see improved in those categories - the rest was pretty good. Sharper textures in max zoom would be nice too. Too blocky pixels aren't so hot - pixelated like "Carrion" is fine. Or FTL.

I tried it and put it on hold - the way they follow tasks is very irritating and not fluent. Also didn't like the gunfights. I hope they improve on that. And skill progression - really missed that. Would really like it see improved in those categories - the rest was pretty good. Sharper textures in max zoom would be nice too. Too blocky pixels aren't so hot - pixelated like "Carrion" is fine. Or FTL.
All true.
Some of the tasking can be fine tuned by giving priorities, but it's still annoying sometimes.
The gunfights are improvable, also shotguns rule. Skill progression is on their to do list iirc, it's still beta.
Graphics could be less pixelated, I agree.

Yet it's very addictive. I'm on my first run, having build a ship with the sandbox option in the start - I hate asymetric ships… (I cheated :sneaky:)
Have 18 crew now on my main vessel and 4 on a support gunship with 4 turrets to blow away those pesky pirates. Well invested 20 € for me.

One of my biggest surprise games was Tetris Effect. I am a fan of Tetris on the GB and thought that this was just another Tetris game. IT WAS AN EXPERIENCE. Still the same game, but the visuals definitely made it a much more engrossing experience.

I have also been on a Little big Planet redo. It is otherworldly playing the original little big planet after later titles such as PSVita and 3 are a thing, it was wholesomely amateurish in the first game, and did feel like it was made with stationary at times.

I tried PixelJunk Monsters 2, fun but difficult. I think I will enjoy it more with more practice.

Finally, I am getting into CARRION. I love the direction the game is going so far, still in the early levels. The idea of being a monster in a horror environment is satisfyingly gory. Manhunter scratched that itch, but it only had so much to do as a shark in terms of gameplay.

I always wanted to try the Hitman games, never did. Do you recommend a great place to start? 🤔
The whole Hitman series 1 & 2 are on Steam...I bought Hitman 2 standard edition along with the legacy pack DLC which gives you the entire season 1 and 2 and all locations from both seasons... As a stealth based game...there is no better. Dreaming up new ways to kill the targets is pretty awesome...even killed someone with a thrown coconut the other night, bounced off her head and knocked her into a pit of wet cement :D

Graphically it's very polished, character movement and sheer player choice on how you complete a mission is why I love it. To get silent assassin rating on a mission is pretty difficult but not impossible...it takes patience, a lot of watching what's happening, who's going where and planning routes and takedowns. There's so much to discover...each location has several story scenarios where you may catch a conversation between a particular NPC and another which opens up a different path to completing the mission making replayability of each location a different challenge every time you replay it.

Well recommended I'd say. Thumbs up from me anyway :)

Last edited:
I always wanted to try the Hitman games, never did. Do you recommend a great place to start? 🤔
Just to be helpful. Hitman 1 and 2 arn't. 1 and 2 that is. They rebooted the series a while back.

You may find the earlier games going very cheap, Hitman:Blood Money is still probably my favourite. Yes the graphics are a somewhat dated but the game play is solid. I won't say avoid Hitman:Absolution as I enjoyed it (There is now a price on my head from the more rabid fanbase!) but it isn't really proper a Hitman :)

Just to be helpful. Hitman 1 and 2 arn't. 1 and 2 that is. They rebooted the series a while back.

You may find the earlier games going very cheap, Hitman:Blood Money is still probably my favourite. Yes the graphics are a somewhat dated but the game play is solid. I won't say avoid Hitman:Absolution as I enjoyed it (There is now a price on my head from the more rabid fanbase!) but it isn't really proper a Hitman :)
I should have mentioned I've played all of them...from earliest iterations to the new reboots. I've always kinda liked them, I certainly like the reboots which started in 2016 with the hitman 1 series...hitman 2 in 2018. Warner brothers unfortunately have obfuscated the whole series hiding behind various packages...the hardest thing about the hitman series nowadays is working out via the various package and game buying options is how not to get ripped off.

There's a helpful guide on Steam which details each package available, what you get, what prices and what packages to buy to get the most bang for your buck...I'll post it up when I can find it. Like I mentioned...I have Hitman 2 standard package plus the GOTY legacy DLC...I also grabbed Hitman Absolution from GoG when it was on sale recently...still play it.

Here you go...pretty good info for a potential/new buyer.

Hitman packages explained

Last edited:
I liked it - up to the point when I felt overwhelmed. I was planing out a smelter line and at the same time trying to understand drones, auto contruction and its logistics. Never fully understood it. I think a number of things I just didn't get added up and I gave up bothering - like train signals. the never worked as expected. Did the tutorials multiple times and when it got complicated it never worked out. I solved by trial and error and that isn't really good for a game of automation. Smart wiring and programming, too. I remember trying to tweak a line of coal by having a demand-depended switch - I gave up on that and just let it run.

This reddit post by Grays42 really helped me with trains.

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/4f38sk Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/4f38sk/factorio_train_automation_complete_parts_23_and/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Outward was cheap on GOG so I bought it. Heard a lot about the game and its interesting combat and very free-roamy gameplay.
I quite like it so far, but man this thing frustrates me.
Not the combat or anything like that. But the controls are... I don't know how to describe it - wrong. :LOL:

I don't really play many games on a controller (last ones were JFO and Sekiro) so I can't say I have some strongly developed muscle memory for things, but in Outward, every button does something different than I expect it to.
I keep drawing the weapon instead of interacting with stuff, because the attack is on A and interaction is on Y for some reason.
I keep pressing D-pad up for inventory, so I keep dropping my bloody backpack every time I need to check something because inventory in this game is on a pause button (and pause is on a menu button of course.)
Quick items would also make more sense on Bumper+D-pad, rather than Bumper+action button...

'ts all wrong man, all wrong! :LOL:

I love it though. It's got a really nice atmosphere, some amazing game mechanics, it's kind of challenging but not frustrating and most importantly, the survival mechanics are not obtrusive and actually add something to the game rather than being there to just annoy you and inflate difficulty.

...now if only I can stop dropping that bloody backpack every goddamn minute. People are starting to look at me weird...

Top Bottom