Guardian fsd prep

Thwarptide

Banned
Howdy Cmdrs,
I'm prepping for doing the grind to go get guardian BP's and mats for the FSD booster (Synuefe NL-N C23-4). I have several questions in regards.
The ship FSD it will go on is large (Clipper)
However it's my understanding I'll need to use a small to medium ship (with point defences) to land close to the site. Well I have a medium ship (krait phantom) already decked out for exploration ready to go (modified for the mission with Point defenses).
1. Do the items gathered require a cargo rack or are material bins only required?

If racks are required, this might cause an issue when getting the actual FSD. Probably not, but better to plan just in case.
If racks are required, then I'd have to use the Krait to get the module.
3. Cant transfer cargo to another ship with cargo racks can I? I've never tried.
4. Can I simply transfer the FSD to the Clipper?

Yes, there are unspoken options, but I like to plan ahead.

once you unlock it you can buy it in any size available as long as it can fit into the ship that you're buying it for, up to size 5.

All the items you will need from the guardian sites are mats not cargo, with exception of the guardian relic (might be called something else, its been a while) but that will fit into your srv cargo and gets dropped off while there. You're going to need to watch a video or to on what to do as all the sites are kinda different and its hard to explain without visual representation.

Thwarptide

Banned
once you unlock it you can buy it in any size available as long as it can fit into the ship that you're buying it for, up to size 5.

All the items you will need from the guardian sites are mats not cargo, with exception of the guardian relic (might be called something else, its been a while) but that will fit into your srv cargo and gets dropped off while there. You're going to need to watch a video or to on what to do as all the sites are kinda different and its hard to explain without visual representation.
Dang Mick, that was a fast response. You must work for FEDEX 🤪

I've done a bit of homework on this. Most vids seem lack luster and rush through it, but there's plenty of info to glean from em.
But I found what I consider some very clear and concise instruction in a post from one of our own commanders here in the forums. Sure it's 2 year old info, but it seems like pretty cut and dry instruction.

Yea i dont think its changed much since then if at all. When i did it back in the day i used a dbx because you can land those pretty much anywhere but you should be ok in a krait. Just make sure the pd is on the top of your ship.

Thwarptide

Banned
Yea i dont think its changed much since then if at all. When i did it back in the day i used a dbx because you can land those pretty much anywhere but you should be ok in a krait. Just make sure the pd is on the top of your ship.
Actually on the krait PD's are on the front of each wing. They'll fit on the bottom too. I've placed em on the front with the intent to land facing the site. The bottoms seemed as pointless to me as you make it sound.
However on my krait mk2 pve tank, I've got one up front and one on the bottom. I'll never forget the first time those were heavily active. In Reverse, missiles being blown up left and right. Pretty awesome tool.

I recommend taking 2 SRVs in case you loose one, its a long way there and back!
1 PD on top is ample to deal with the missiles btw👍
DBX is the ship i use to go over there, easy to find a landing spot where u need to be (near the site).
Good luck OP (grab the gauss while you are there, and Guardian MRPs are well worth it too imo).
o7

It’s not like you absolutely have to use Point Defence on your ship to fight the Guardian Sentinels. I never used them, and I have collected a lot of mats on the sites. If you just make sure to be on the move when they fire their missiles and keep driving untill the missiles strike they won’t hit you directly. They’ll mostly just be irritating and perhaps flip you around and cause a bit of damage - and when the SRV health is low you repair it. No big deal. If you are somewhere you can’t drive fast then throw all pips to shields when they fire the missiles. You can also drive to some of the large pedestal structures on the sites for cover. But I would bring two SRV’s if I were you - and make sure to have mats for repairs.

This is the best and most to-the-point guide there is:
Source: https://youtu.be/J9C9a00-rkQ

Last edited:

Thwarptide

Banned
Went there last night with the krait phantom. Plenty of parking space at the recommended landing site.
1 srv,
1 point defense on each wing. (I only got hit once by a missile)
Dern sentinels are easy enough to kaboom. I've got plenty of synth materials to do the site 50x.

I'm am the great and powerful, everlasting KNOW-IT-ALL
All shall love me and despair!
PS_Messages_20200725_024728.jpg

Thwarptide

Banned
Hey guys, I'm a bit confused.

I was ill yesterday (bad salad) and didn't get to run round two here. But I noticed something odd and seemingly repetitive.

Here's the outlined plan https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/walkthrough-guardian-module-blueprints.438289/
I understand the post is 2 years old, but should things change this much? (see below)

The first time I completed the routine, I was very confused. But it was, I think naturally, understandable. Reason was when I first got there I took the srv into the site then approached the orb and first pylon. The moment I started the 1st route, sentinels (3) popped up before I got close to the 1st pylon.

Thinking I started to close I tried a wider approach on the 2nd route. Same thing, sentinels pop up and start taking long distance pokes at me.
Getting flustered I took a closed position near ship (for point defense sake) and blasted em.

Then back on the route, approach the orb and first pylon. I haven't parked on any button yet, just got up the hill and there's two more now in the middle of the site, taking pokes at me.
Am I approaching this wrong or could the welcoming committee be the new norm?
I'M NOT COMPLAINING, once I blast em and start charging pylons, they don't seem to pop up again except the last two once I scan the orb.

Also, I've read elsewhere that there's really no order to charging the pylons. You can start anywhere and get the job done. Thoughts here?

PicsArt_07-26-04.29.14~01.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm a bit confused.

I was ill yesterday (bad salad) and didn't get to run round two here. But I noticed something odd and seemingly repetitive.

Here's the outlined plan https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/walkthrough-guardian-module-blueprints.438289/
I understand the post is 2 years old, but should things change this much? (see below)

The first time I completed the routine, I was very confused. But it was, I think naturally, understandable. Reason was when I first got there I took the srv into the site then approached the orb and first pylon. The moment I started the 1st route, sentinels (3) popped up before I got close to the 1st pylon.

Thinking I started to close I tried a wider approach on the 2nd route. Same thing, sentinels pop up and start taking long distance pokes at me.
Getting flustered I took a closed position near ship (for point defense sake) and blasted em.

Then back on the route, approach the orb and first pylon. I haven't parked on any button yet, just got up the hill and there's two more now in the middle of the site, taking pokes at me.
Am I approaching this wrong or could the welcoming committee be the new norm?

Also, I've read elsewhere that there's really no order to charging the pylons. You can start anywhere and get the job done. Thoughts here?

View attachment 182087
I got the same welcoming committee when I did it earlier this year. I didn't do the pylons in order, I just made sure to beat the clock.

Thwarptide

Banned
I got the same welcoming committee when I did it earlier this year. I didn't do the pylons in order, I just made sure to beat the clock.
Thanks for chiming in Cmdr. Makes me feel a lot less stupid! 👍

I have a more efficient plan of attack.
Now if I can better focus my driving and NOT GET THE SRV HUNG UP on the garbage the Guardians left behind (they must have been filthy Pigs 🤪) I'd be happier.

Thwarptide

Banned
LOL true they are not the tidiest race. I am glad I had two SRVs on one run, got hung up so badly had to self destruct.

Actually, you didn't need to self destruct. Just log off. You'll get a warning that the srv will be moved out of the danger zone. Log back in and yer somewhere outside the site about 150 meters. Everything gets reset I believe. The last time I had to, the sentinels didn't jump me where I had killed em, so maybe not. The others that I hadn't killed yet, eventually did.

Last edited:
Turn off "flight assist" for SRV, there is special default setting for it AND button to switch. Keep it off and car goes smooth & fun.
Also there is configurable button for SRV to switch to turret mode - then u can shoot things in no time.

P.S. if u ever get hard stuck on srv, relaunch game selecting in launcher "base elit", then realunch again with "horizons". You will appear on orbit all packed.

Last edited:
Actually, you didn't need to self destruct. Just log off. You'll get a warning that the srv will be moved out of the danger zone. Log back in and yer somewhere outside the site about 150 meters. Everything gets reset I believe. The last time I had to, the sentinels didn't jump me where I had killed em, so maybe not. The others that I hadn't killed yet, eventually did.

True, it's an old habit of mine from back in the day. LOL

Thwarptide

Banned
True, it's an old habit of mine from back in the day. LOL

Through early morning fog I see
The "sentinels" they wait for me.
The pains that are withheld for me
I realize and I can see
That suicide is painless
It brings on many changes
I can take or leave it if I please
That game of "ED" is hard to play
"I'm gonna lose it anyway
The losing card of some delay
So this is all I have to say
That suicide is painless........ (blah blah) 😁

~theme song From the movie MASH (not the TV series) 1970.

BTW, being able charge in, raise (not charge) all the pylons first while killing all but the last two sentinels makes things much easier.

Anyway, if it's required to have say 21 guard power cells
Does this mean FOR EACH LEVEL of upgrade?
This could imply I need 5x the amount for lev 5

Last edited:
Through early morning fog I see
The "sentinels" they wait for me.
The pains that are withheld for me
I realize and I can see
That suicide is painless
It brings on many changes
I can take or leave it if I please
That game of "ED" is hard to play
"I'm gonna lose it anyway
The losing card of some delay
So this is all I have to say
That suicide is painless........ (blah blah) 😁

~theme song From the movie MASH (not the TV series) 1970.

BTW, being able charge in, raise (not charge) all the pylons first while killing all but the last two sentinels makes things much easier.

Anyway, if it's required to have say 21 guard power cells
Does this mean FOR EACH LEVEL of upgrade?
This could imply I need 5x the amount for lev 5
I f I remember correctly it's 21 power cells to "unlock" the FSD booster at the broker, so it's a one time thing, just 21.

Top Bottom