Mining Question... Locations!

Hmmm, OK! I guess there's something to this mining after all. It's actually a fun grind and found TWO (maybe 3) LTD Core asteroids right next to each other and on the very outside of the ring, so should be very easy to find again. This was literally my first time Core mining, had little feel for how to set the charges perfectly, so I am sure I missed out on a few LTDs, but got 53, and that was with already having a bunch of other stuff I dumped when I found these two rocks.They can be mined over and over by moving 25km (or until you see field "reset") from the rocks and back. I'd still be there, but ran out of time, patience and collector limpets. Sirius is offering $19 Million for them, but I think I can do better. :) I don't think FDEV messed up mining, I think they just made it a bit harder but as you can see in the picture, two right next to each other! It took me about 45 minutes to find these. Not bad for first core mining trip! Tried to set my first charges on a random core asteroid and it failed, so I was just really learning but think I have it down now! Got as little as 2 LTD once :( and as much as 9 :) on one of the rocks on another go. Heading back tomorrow after I sell these and see if I can't fill up! I am much less bitter about mining now. Ha!

found5.jpg

found6.jpg

Isn't this just using the eggsploit but at a non-egg shaped rock? Seems like the same mechanism to me, maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

Isn't this just using the eggsploit but at a non-egg shaped rock? Seems like the same mechanism to me, maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

Mining the egg wasn't an exploit - some players could call it that but doesn't change Fdev didn't label it a such, and hence not.

Same for mining the egg and resetting by moving away 25km or logging out/in at the closest mass lock break distance - again, some players can believe it is exploit all they wish but
a) Fdev clearly allows it with so many other identical or similar respawn mechanics in game I won't bother to list them all;
b) Unlike actual exploits Fdev has stated officially (e.g. combat logging), they chose not to label resetting mining rocks as exploit and only mentioned SLF resets as specific method being changed in patch notes

The SLF reset version wasn't called an exploit either in patch notes, just another balance change among all the others FDev has done.

Hmmm, OK! I guess there's something to this mining after all. It's actually a fun grind and found TWO (maybe 3) LTD Core asteroids right next to each other and on the very outside of the ring, so should be very easy to find again. This was literally my first time Core mining, had little feel for how to set the charges perfectly, so I am sure I missed out on a few LTDs, but got 53, and that was with already having a bunch of other stuff I dumped when I found these two rocks.They can be mined over and over by moving 25km (or until you see field "reset") from the rocks and back. I'd still be there, but ran out of time, patience and collector limpets. Sirius is offering $19 Million for them, but I think I can do better. :) I don't think FDEV messed up mining, I think they just made it a bit harder but as you can see in the picture, two right next to each other! It took me about 45 minutes to find these. Not bad for first core mining trip! Tried to set my first charges on a random core asteroid and it failed, so I was just really learning but think I have it down now! Got as little as 2 LTD once :( and as much as 9 :) on one of the rocks on another go. Heading back tomorrow after I sell these and see if I can't fill up! I am much less bitter about mining now. Ha!

Fdev neutered the egg and several other known locations by masking the SSDs that appear on it (e.g. you will briefly see the glowing outlines of 4 SSDs on it but then whatever code fix they added on top of regular base code forces the SSDs to depleted as well as entire asteroid as depleted status.

But as you've found, there are other quad SSD asteroids still exist because Fdev only used a brute force hack to quick fix the egg - they simply manually forced a depleted condition on those known locations.

Careful you don't post where you found those rocks or Fdev may do the same. Be happy you have a mini-egg all to yourself.

Fdev neutered the egg and several other known locations by masking the SSDs that appear on it (e.g. you will briefly see the glowing outlines of 4 SSDs on it but then whatever code fix they added on top of regular base code forces the SSDs to depleted as well as entire asteroid as depleted status.

But as you've found, there are other quad SSD asteroids still exist because Fdev only used a brute force hack to quick fix the egg - they simply manually forced a depleted condition on those known locations.

Careful you don't post where you found those rocks or Fdev may do the same. Be happy you have a mini-egg all to yourself.
If FDEV would go to the trouble of nuking what I have found, then I would be done. They would lose this player. If that's the kind of company I am dealing with, I don't want to play their game! That would be just cruel, mean and not a game I would want to be part of anymore. I spent almost an hour looking for just one good rock, found two literally right next to each other. I think that's wonderful, and pay off for the time spent searching. That's the way a game should be... make it difficult, sure, challenging, yes, but give a player a bone for trying. It's just a game. Milking two eggs to get rich isn't hurting anyone, as anyone can find what I found by just searching, and searching, scanning a bazillion rocks. I hit pay-dirt, and that's the way it should be, IMO :) These two rocks, in a field of billions, has restored my faith and fun in the game because I had pretty much hit a wall on how to make credits and was seriously considering putting this game away for good. Everything worth anything costs way too much in this game, a fully loaded and engineered Conda is what, like well over a Billion credits? HOW is anyone supposed to make that kind of money with the system they have in place? I see players with billions in their bank, and never thought I could get there... maybe now I can. It's still going to be a GRIND, lots of work, and a player should be rewarded for that, not punished. I highly doubt the guys with BILLIONS in the banks made all that money running, say, passenger missions, right?

There's nothing easy or exploitative about selling these damn things! I had to fly to what the Miner app said was paying $800,000 per LTD but that was not true, even though it had not been long since last update. Only $400,000 per LTD. Out in the middle of nowhere, no fuel scoop, low on fuel. Found an outpost where they just had the WORST fuel scoop possible for 900 credits. Had to buy it to get to where INARA said they were paying $1 Million per LTD, avoiding interdiction all the way. Finally made it, about 250 Lys (not too bad) to a Fleet Carrier and sold for a good price. If that's not work, I don't know what is. And I am going to need to do it dozens of times. So yeah, FDEV, I'm putting in the sweat, if it makes you happy!

sell.jpg

Last edited:
I highly doubt the guys with BILLIONS in the banks made all that money running, say, passenger missions, right?

Completely agree and get your point re: rest of post, but just this part here - answer is depends when they did it. Forgot exact time but couple years back, right before mining buff of 2018, the meta was passenger missions as the filthy rich way to make bank.

Not to extent x3 LTD at like 700+mil/hr, but best I recall something like 200-250mil/hr.

Even before this passenger meta, there had been one we called long range passenger meta missions - longer the LY distance, more you got paid. Good credits but what made passenger missions -really- meta and lucrative was this tiny change Fdev made which I am quite sure they did not think through. The buff added was distance within the local system added to the payoff - the further inside the local destination was from the main star jump in point, more you got paid.

Didn't matter if the overall route was a 1-hop 10 LY jump - if the destination system was like 100k LY+ away from main jump in point, you got paid a ton. So players being players, did what we always do and optimize the hell around that new change FDev made. People scoured systems to find paired systems where the offering system was short 10 LY or so away to destination system, but the destination had a delivery station that was really far away supercruise flight time - like 30+ min SC while watching netflix to get huge paydays per mission.

So yea, ppl who ran short range, long supercruise PAX missions made billions, as did the long range PAX missions meta before that, and the long range cargo delivery missions before that, etc. What has changed is how many decimal points moved once you got into the billion mark.

What used to be single digit billion makers, turned into low double digits, then triple digit billion balance players, and now - while I easily concede he could just be the lone outlier, but there is at least 1 legit verified via Inara commander who has balance over 1 trillion.

Guess my point is hop on board whatever meta you can while it lasts because a) they all eventually get nerfed, but b) a new one comes around again....always

Completely agree and get your point re: rest of post, but just this part here - answer is depends when they did it. Forgot exact time but couple years back, right before mining buff of 2018, the meta was passenger missions as the filthy rich way to make bank.

Not to extent x3 LTD at like 700+mil/hr, but best I recall something like 200-250mil/hr.

Even before this passenger meta, there had been one we called long range passenger meta missions - longer the LY distance, more you got paid. Good credits but what made passenger missions -really- meta and lucrative was this tiny change Fdev made which I am quite sure they did not think through. The buff added was distance within the local system added to the payoff - the further inside the local destination was from the main star jump in point, more you got paid.

Didn't matter if the overall route was a 1-hop 10 LY jump - if the destination system was like 100k LY+ away from main jump in point, you got paid a ton. So players being players, did what we always do and optimize the hell around that new change FDev made. People scoured systems to find paired systems where the offering system was short 10 LY or so away to destination system, but the destination had a delivery station that was really far away supercruise flight time - like 30+ min SC while watching netflix to get huge paydays per mission.

So yea, ppl who ran short range, long supercruise PAX missions made billions, as did the long range PAX missions meta before that, and the long range cargo delivery missions before that, etc. What has changed is how many decimal points moved once you got into the billion mark.

What used to be single digit billion makers, turned into low double digits, then triple digit billion balance players, and now - while I easily concede he could just be the lone outlier, but there is at least 1 legit verified via Inara commander who has balance over 1 trillion.

Guess my point is hop on board whatever meta you can while it lasts because a) they all eventually get nerfed, but b) a new one comes around again....always
I remember, when I first started playing this game... I checked mission boards and saw Holy Crap missions of like 20 Million credits to take so and so to so and so... then, upon closer look, the place they wanted to go would have been like a 3 week round trip! The advice I got back then was "Forget Those!!!" and just do a bunch of lesser paying but still profitable passenger missions. I did a few but was not super fun, to say the least, especially if your passenger was "Wanted". The ONLY way I ever made any "real" money in this game (until now) was Road to Riches. I did that back in like 2017 and finally broke the $100,000,000 mark. Now, if all goes well... I'll be in the Billionaire Club! Doubt I'll ever hit that $Trillion$ Credit mark though! Ha! ;) I was just about to jump into my DBX and start flying again, scanning and selling the data, as it didn't look like mining was going to be a Pay Day. Glad I didn't give up on that!

My entire take on mining has changed! It is now my favorite Elite thing to do! I don't know, or maybe understand, exactly what FDEV "did" to mining that apparently nerfed it, but there's gold in there them rocks! I am literally making about $100,000,000 a day with about 4 hours of mining. It is a laborious process, no doubt, but also no doubt the most profitable endeavor in ED, that I have tried!

A hundred million for a few hours work is about what I was used to before the big Triple LTD extravaganza. It's good coin and fun to do as you poke around to see which rocks have goodies in them. If you are happy with your progress, that is the main thing. It means this game has a lot of fun to offer you!

A hundred million for a few hours work is about what I was used to before the big Triple LTD extravaganza. It's good coin and fun to do as you poke around to see which rocks have goodies in them. If you are happy with your progress, that is the main thing. It means this game has a lot of fun to offer you!
I think the hardest part in this mining is actually finding the best price, that's actually STILL the best price or even buying. I just flew to a Fleet Carrier listed as Buying for $2M each, 1 jump so not far, but when I got there... no buying. I did just notice that it was last updated 10 days ago. :( I have 100 LTDs to dump right now... waiting on Market ;) It's really odd that you really can't DO anything with LTDs or Void Opals (I don't think?) never seen them as a resource requirement for anything, yet they sell for the most profit. Weird system. Maybe there's a ENG out there that calls for 10 LTDs or 5 Void Opals? 🤔 I don't think so though... I think they are just a made up commodity, but would be better if they made say Tritium sell for $10M a unit, since that's actually a needed commodity. Go figure. FDEV will programmaticly fill up Fleet Carriers,when they could have made a BIG sell price change and peppered in many more "HotSpots" of Trit, so people would and could make money selling to Fleets. I guess Trit is still worth something, but, the need (Market) doesn't match the demand. Odd economics in this game.

Last edited:
I don’t know if my experience is helpful, but I’ve just kitted out an Asp Explorer as a sort of hybrid explorer/miner, and the last few nights I’ve had bags of fun. By tying the mining into the exploration playstyle I can avoid pirates in rings by venturing a few hundred LY out of the bubble, and it changes the focus on what I’m looking for exploring. I’m now much more interested in finding ringed planets. After about half an hour in a pristine icy ring t’other night I’ve now got 20 or so tons of tritium in my hold and plenty of space left for other goodies that I might find. I’ve not tried core mining yet due to my loadout but dropping into an interesting ring, lasering some asteroids and hitting some sub-surface deposits to see what’s about has broken up a little of the exploration monotony that can sometimes set in. I’ve tried to spend about half an hour in a ring/hotspot before emptying my refinery and dumping any cheapo minerals because with only 64t of cargo space I have to be a bit more selective about what I weigh down my jump range with. Then I’ll move on to the next ring/system and see what else I can find.

It’s never going to make me mega-space-bucks, but I imagine that it’ll boost my UC income with mineral sales when I get back to port or stumble across a fleet carrier. It’s a refreshing change to my usual gameplay loop, and I’m learning about what to look for in ring composition to make some side-bucks from the mining.

I don’t know if my experience is helpful, but I’ve just kitted out an Asp Explorer as a sort of hybrid explorer/miner, and the last few nights I’ve had bags of fun. By tying the mining into the exploration playstyle I can avoid pirates in rings by venturing a few hundred LY out of the bubble, and it changes the focus on what I’m looking for exploring. I’m now much more interested in finding ringed planets. After about half an hour in a pristine icy ring t’other night I’ve now got 20 or so tons of tritium in my hold and plenty of space left for other goodies that I might find. I’ve not tried core mining yet due to my loadout but dropping into an interesting ring, lasering some asteroids and hitting some sub-surface deposits to see what’s about has broken up a little of the exploration monotony that can sometimes set in. I’ve tried to spend about half an hour in a ring/hotspot before emptying my refinery and dumping any cheapo minerals because with only 64t of cargo space I have to be a bit more selective about what I weigh down my jump range with. Then I’ll move on to the next ring/system and see what else I can find.

It’s never going to make me mega-space-bucks, but I imagine that it’ll boost my UC income with mineral sales when I get back to port or stumble across a fleet carrier. It’s a refreshing change to my usual gameplay loop, and I’m learning about what to look for in ring composition to make some side-bucks from the mining.
I was hesitant about Core mining, you need to be able to really maneuver well (not sure how LARGE ships can do it) and really hit that "sweet spot" in the BLUE area to get the best yield. I am getting really good at it, no doubt! Make sure you outfit a core seismic charge launcher, maybe an abrasion blaster too, because you don't want to hit asteroids and find full loads of Core LTDs or Opals and have no way to get them. That sucks :( A note about the "abrasion blaster", once I blow the asteroid, I can see deposits on the rock, lots of them, but can't blast them off. I don't get that, however, popping off a few limpets will go out and collect all those LTDs floating around. Maybe I am putting too much power in my blast, but even at the perfect level, this still happens, and maybe it's the way it's supposed to happen? No clue, but I know, in the good charge range, my limpets will go out and come back with anywhere from say 5 to, I think I've see, 10 or 15 LTDs in one blast! Maybe, the LTD spots I am seeing on the asteroid chunks is where the LTDs were, and my limpets are picking them up from being blown off. I should really look into that, but all I know is, a few (several) hours spent on one LTD asteroid (with background reset - fly directly backwards like 25km until you see the screen "reset" the asteroid field, you'll know it when you see it happen) and fly directly back to where that asteroid was (keep the spot in some sort of utility marker so you don't lose it), you're good to blast again, and again and again, until you're out of limpets and should have a full cargo, or nearly. It's pretty fun actually and if you toss on some music, can be relaxing and highly profitable!

Some places i use to mine inside the bubble are Pandhis which has all sorts.. Ltd, tritium and alexandrite which sells for around 500k i think, lp 131-55 has void opal hotspot.And so on.

There are alot of good places inside the bubble. Just look around.

I don't know, doing a deep space mining expedition myself, mostly gold and painite. And whatever else I pick up. When I am at Carrier capacity i'll return to the bubble.

Some places i use to mine inside the bubble are Pandhis which has all sorts.. Ltd, tritium and alexandrite which sells for around 500k i think, lp 131-55 has void opal hotspot.And so on.

There are alot of good places inside the bubble. Just look around.
I found a "Pot of Gold" one jump from my current "Home". No need to fly 280Lys to some Brown Dwarf star, fuel scooping all the way, avoiding Pirates and all that. Super simple. Selling is a different story ;) That's a bit of work, need to swap out all my hard points for my weapons, remove a bunch of mining modules for my hull modules... I WISH to God, they had a "Quick Change" mechanic in this simulator, where you can outfit a ship and SAVE IT, then outfit the same ship for something else and SAVE IT, then, you just fly into where your stuff is stored and pick the build you want, done! How easy would that be, very I would think. By the way... I loved that show from your icon! Dinosaurs! Good memories :)

Last edited:
I found a "Pot of Gold" one jump from my current "Home". No need to fly 280Lys to some Brown Dwarf star, fuel scooping all the way, avoiding Pirates and all that. Super simple. Selling is a different story ;) That's a bit of work, need to swap out all my hard points for my weapons, remove a bunch of mining modules for my hull modules... I WISH to God, they had a "Quick Change" mechanic in this simulator, where you can outfit a ship and SAVE IT, then outfit the same ship for something else and SAVE IT, then, you just fly into where your stuff is stored and pick the build you want, done! How easy would that be, very I would think. By the way... I loved that show from your icon! Dinosaurs! Good memories :)
Yeah good times. One of Disneys best shows. 😁

About the outfitting. I agree with you. It's not handled very well. Good luck with your mining. ⛏️

What happens if you're sitting, docked in a random fleet carrier, just passing through and decide to just hang out in there for the night and the thing jumps? Can I wake up tomorrow and find myself 10000 LYs away from where I was? 🤔

What happens if you're sitting, docked in a random fleet carrier, just passing through and decide to just hang out in there for the night and the thing jumps? Can I wake up tomorrow and find myself 10000 LYs away from where I was? 🤔
Yes you can which is why your not meant to stay on random FC that you don't know the owner off...
you have the cool down and jump wind up time to get off the carrier... but your not meant to Park up and stay there thats the risk you take...
Also they can Change landing access and kick you out at a random location as well... you could be in a system with No fuel scoopable stars so you must allways land with a fuel scoop equipped and enough fuel to get to another scoopable star... if your jump range is to low you can be stuck as well...

Yes you can which is why your not meant to stay on random FC that you don't know the owner off...
you have the cool down and jump wind up time to get off the carrier... but your not meant to Park up and stay there thats the risk you take...
Also they can Change landing access and kick you out at a random location as well... you could be in a system with No fuel scoopable stars so you must allways land with a fuel scoop equipped and enough fuel to get to another scoopable star... if your jump range is to low you can be stuck as well...

I assume FC dock counts as a station for last saved dock right? Haven't had a rebuy when last docked on my FC, so not sure.

I can see the pros and cons of it either way. If it counts, then deep exploration is basically trivial given you can die and respawn on your nearby FC (vs before FCs introduced if you died while exploring it was back to the bubble).

If it doesn't count, then while that adds to the exploration challenge, it also kinda sucks in that your FC is now however many thousand LY away, while your ship is back in the bubble.

Anyone know for sure if FC dock counts as last saved station?

Top Bottom