Mining Question... Locations!

Simple, if you hate mining, then don't do it. Find other ways you enjoy and earn the credit, for example combat :ROFLMAO:
Yes ED is a very grindy game in many ways and that's how the game is. Don't like it, then don't play it.

Simple, if you hate mining, then don't do it. Find other ways you enjoy and earn the credit, for example combat :ROFLMAO:
Yes ED is a very grindy game in many ways and that's how the game is. Don't like it, then don't play it.
I never said I hate mining, just one of my least favorite things to do in the game. I'm just annoyed that some people are like just fine, one even said "Thankfully" that they removed this one asteroid but yet no one will cop do re-logging for stuff. Is there a difference, they are both exploits, and I would say that the Egg asteroid is even LESS of an "exploit" than being able to collect, log to the main menu and log back in to gather more stuff. That's way more a "cheat" move than just some random asteroid out of trillions that just happened to be loaded with LTD. Whatever. I am done. Everyone "Cheats", and anyone that says they don't is lying. You HAVE to "cheat" in ED, there's no other way.

Step 1 is fit an advanced surface scanner (?) so you can find a hotspot in any rings, step 2, find a tritium hotspot. If it's anything like my last couple of days, you'll find loads of ltd in them 😳

Okayyyyy......so you don't hate mining but you also "don't find it fun". Well thankfully you don't have to do a lot of mining. As for things like engineering, you can easily get raw mats and even manufactured mats without having to do any relogging. Data is a bit more difficult without relogging but it is still doable. It really seems to me that you are just trying to get to "endgame" as quickly as possible using any and all means available. May I ask you what you think you will find when you reach "endgame"? I can tell you what you WILL find......more of the same thing that you encountered during your "levelling". In other words, if you are not having fun now, you won't have fun when you reach "endgame". Find an activity that you enjoy now and live for the moment. You will enjoy this game much better that way. There are a LOT of people who play this game and have never "cheated and have enjoyed the game a lot. If you can not accept this fact than perhaps you might want to look for something else that you will find more entertaining. Right now, all I see is a rather bitter person who seems to be having trouble finding the fun in this game.

I never said I hate mining, just one of my least favorite things to do in the game. I'm just annoyed that some people are like just fine, one even said "Thankfully" that they removed this one asteroid but yet no one will cop do re-logging for stuff. Is there a difference, they are both exploits, and I would say that the Egg asteroid is even LESS of an "exploit" than being able to collect, log to the main menu and log back in to gather more stuff. That's way more a "cheat" move than just some random asteroid out of trillions that just happened to be loaded with LTD. Whatever. I am done. Everyone "Cheats", and anyone that says they don't is lying. You HAVE to "cheat" in ED, there's no other way.
Sure many players have use different methods e.g. relogging, I have too. So if they are all considered exploits, then don't complain when Frontier removed them. BTW you don't have to "cheat" to play ED. Just because other people used to mine the Egg (I never bother try that myself), now it has been removed and you can't mine it anymore, do you really have to be so salty about it? You missed the opportunity now, tough luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okayyyyy......so you don't hate mining but you also "don't find it fun". Well thankfully you don't have to do a lot of mining. As for things like engineering, you can easily get raw mats and even manufactured mats without having to do any relogging. Data is a bit more difficult without relogging but it is still doable. It really seems to me that you are just trying to get to "endgame" as quickly as possible using any and all means available. May I ask you what you think you will find when you reach "endgame"? I can tell you what you WILL find......more of the same thing that you encountered during your "levelling". In other words, if you are not having fun now, you won't have fun when you reach "endgame". Find an activity that you enjoy now and live for the moment. You will enjoy this game much better that way. There are a LOT of people who play this game and have never "cheated and have enjoyed the game a lot. If you can not accept this fact than perhaps you might want to look for something else that you will find more entertaining. Right now, all I see is a rather bitter person who seems to be having trouble finding the fun in this game.
No, I am cool. I am bitter about this Eggstroid, yes, I think it's really cheesy of FDEV to remove things like this, or to slash mining in general. I swear to GOD, I just spent the last 3 hours mining in a triple LTD Hotspot and found 6 LTD, SIX! Yeah, that is not fun, no sir! I need to mine 500t of stuff and I thought, well, if I have to do it, maybe I can make some good money doing it. Nope! However, I f'ing LOVE this game (simulator). Dude, I have over 1000 hours into this game... for years my main and only ship was a Viper MK IV and I loved it. I think back now and wow, what was I thinking. Yes, I put all the best stuff you can buy into it (standard modules) but I knew nothing about Engineering. I just slapped Hull reinforcements on it and flew around to NAV Beacons thinking I was unstoppable. Now, in the last few months, I've been stuck at home and really trying to get into this game, with proper outfitting, finding activities I really like, engineering my ships and having a blast. This game is a grind, I have friends that think I am NuTz for playing this never ending grind, but I love it (with re-log). No, not bitter, just I'll tell you what... once I am done with this 500t of crap I need to mine to open an Engineer... I am DONE with mining. I found out today that yes, I truly HATE IT! I never want to ever shoot a stupid rock again, ever! But, I am more than happy with all the other stuff. I don't know if 1000 hours into this game is a lot, probably people with a hell of a lot more than that, but 1000 is about 6 WEEKS of my hands on this HOTAS, so no, I am not having trouble finding fun in this game... I am having trouble finding ANY fun in mining and can't wait for it to be over! I have 97% refined LTD in my storage right now and could not find another 3% to come home with 7 LTDs. Come on! The most unrewarding experience I think I've had in ANY video game, ever.

7-25-2020 5-48-09 PM.png

Try going for Painite in single or double hot spots. Some commanders have indicated that it is still doable. That is, if you are really strapped for cash for some reason. On the other hand, now that you have finally admitted to yourself that you hate mining (and I certainly don't hold it against you) it should be fairly easy to avoid doing all but the minimal amount required to open up other activities. That way you can concentrate on the other aspects of the game that you love. As for raw mats, here's a tip that will save you a lot of that mining activity that you don"t like: Jameson's crash site. In addition to the crash site, the planet has around 14-16 different sets of geological features. Take a dune buggy down there and visit each site. I can guarantee you that you won't have to mine for raw mats for a very long time!

Try going for Painite in single or double hot spots. Some commanders have indicated that it is still doable. That is, if you are really strapped for cash for some reason. On the other hand, now that you have finally admitted to yourself that you hate mining (and I certainly don't hold it against you) it should be fairly easy to avoid doing all but the minimal amount required to open up other activities. That way you can concentrate on the other aspects of the game that you love. As for raw mats, here's a tip that will save you a lot of that mining activity that you don"t like: Jameson's crash site. In addition to the crash site, the planet has around 14-16 different sets of geological features. Take a dune buggy down there and visit each site. I can guarantee you that you won't have to mine for raw mats for a very long time!
Appreciated! I was sour on losing out on that egg, and yeah, I need money and lots of it! I have plans! Ha! I'm currently hanging out in Sirius and did a quick run for a mission to Kokary next door and decided to checkout the rings and found that Kokary 7 is much better than where I was, where that egg used to be. It wasn't THAT much better, but I did find half a dozen asteroids with Core LTD and a couple Void Opal rocks. Unfortunately, I had only surface mining outfitted. I am going back tomorrow outfitted with one more Prospector Limp Controller, along with Surface, Sub-Surface, Abrasion and Core mining fitted on my Krait. I might just make some money tomorrow, or at least make a little money and get this 500t Eng out of the way ;) Thanks for the crash site, been to all of them 100 times, no, 1,000,000,000 times! I spend several hours a week just collecting resources so I always have what I need, or nearly enough, and enough to trade for what I don't have. You know, I had dreams of mining in my Elite Dangerous retirement... not any more! Anyway, let's see what Kokary 7 has tomorrow, when I'm ready for any deposit I find!

void.jpg

ltd.jpg

Last edited:
Please be aware the abrasion blaster is currently Bugged, In my experience about 50% of the time it won't work on exploded core revealed surface deposits. Works fine on unexploded surface deposits.

It works fine as long as you don't do any mining of a 'roid prior to blowing it up (esp SSDs).
That was not my experience. Otherwise un-touched core roid blown open and Abrasion Blaster would not work. Also mined 2 ss deposits blew open core and abraded successfully.

Last edited:
I am curious about the best way to find rocks to mine once you've dropped into a zone. HOW? I drop in and start firing my Pulse Wave Scanner and really only Prospect "yellow" rocks that reflect back from the scanner, trying to ascertain what is a good rock and what's probably just a rock. I gotta assume the Pulse Wave Scanner is THE way of picking rocks, otherwise you'd just be firing off all your Prospectors into random rocks, and there are billions of them. I hate to waste Prospectors, so if there's a better way, please, tell me. I just watched a video or a guy drop into a hotspot of Painite and first rock he hit was full of Painite, and did NOT use any Pulse Wave Scan. That would NOT be my luck. Does it really matter, just Prospect any rocks and keep your fingers crossed or use the Pulse Wave Scanner? Thanks!

I am curious about the best way to find rocks to mine once you've dropped into a zone. HOW? I drop in and start firing my Pulse Wave Scanner and really only Prospect "yellow" rocks that reflect back from the scanner, trying to ascertain what is a good rock and what's probably just a rock. I gotta assume the Pulse Wave Scanner is THE way of picking rocks, otherwise you'd just be firing off all your Prospectors into random rocks, and there are billions of them. I hate to waste Prospectors, so if there's a better way, please, tell me. I just watched a video or a guy drop into a hotspot of Painite and first rock he hit was full of Painite, and did NOT use any Pulse Wave Scan. That would NOT be my luck. Does it really matter, just Prospect any rocks and keep your fingers crossed or use the Pulse Wave Scanner? Thanks!

Just my .02 cents, but if you are laser mining for painite, the PWS is useless and just waste of time.

Reason I say useless, is the bright yellow it shows is for good non-laser mining desposits (SSDs, core, etc) - I almost never get a good laser mining percentage rock on a bright yellow PWS identified asteroid. To be very clear - I am not saying the PWS bright yellow is bad, I am saying if you are only laser mining it, I very rarely, if ever, find a good painite percent.

It is almost like they are mutually exclusive - e.g. it can be a high yield, high percent painite rock with little to no deposits, or it can be reverse - a great desposit rock but worthless laser mining.

So to answer your question - if using PWS mining tools, then obviously yes use it and only mine the prospected good yellow to bright yellow ones. If using laser mining, which is what I'm currently focused on post-nerf, with x2 painite hotspots yielding ~175 tons/hr in my Cutter build, then don't bother using PWS at all and just 'randomly' fire prospectors into asteroids and laser out the high teens and above (for me I use basically 18-20%+).

Reason I say 'randomly' in sort of mini quote is because after good deal of experience, and maybe it is specific to each hotspot location, or maybe same, can't say since all I ever do is 1-2 painite hotpsots - you get a 'feel' for what is a 'good' looking painite high percentage rock.

For example, in hotspot I am in right now, the really large asteroids - the bulky, very big size asteroids, almost never ever has 40-50% percent painite. I can bet with very high confidence that every prospector I fire into rocks that look like that will just be waste of time. While the smaller, more roundish baseball looking asteroids, usually floating just above or below the plane of the general rock plane, will high percentage of the time have a good painite yield (20-40%).

So basically, fire prospectors everywhere till you get a 'feel' for what the good painite looking rocks are, because call me crazy but in my case there -does- seem to be some correlation between how an asteroid looks and the size of it, to what the painite % will be (at least in this hotspot I've been in, like I said don't know if this correlation holds in other hotspots).

Just my .02 cents, but if you are laser mining for painite, the PWS is useless and just waste of time.

Reason I say useless, is the bright yellow it shows is for good non-laser mining desposits (SSDs, core, etc) - I almost never get a good laser mining percentage rock on a bright yellow PWS identified asteroid. To be very clear - I am not saying the PWS bright yellow is bad, I am saying if you are only laser mining it, I very rarely, if ever, find a good painite percent.

It is almost like they are mutually exclusive - e.g. it can be a high yield, high percent painite rock with little to no deposits, or it can be reverse - a great desposit rock but worthless laser mining.

So to answer your question - if using PWS mining tools, then obviously yes use it and only mine the prospected good yellow to bright yellow ones. If using laser mining, which is what I'm currently focused on post-nerf, with x2 painite hotspots yielding ~175 tons/hr in my Cutter build, then don't bother using PWS at all and just 'randomly' fire prospectors into asteroids and laser out the high teens and above (for me I use basically 18-20%+).

Reason I say 'randomly' in sort of mini quote is because after good deal of experience, and maybe it is specific to each hotspot location, or maybe same, can't say since all I ever do is 1-2 painite hotpsots - you get a 'feel' for what is a 'good' looking painite high percentage rock.

For example, in hotspot I am in right now, the really large asteroids - the bulky, very big size asteroids, almost never ever has 40-50% percent painite. I can bet with very high confidence that every prospector I fire into rocks that look like that will just be waste of time. While the smaller, more roundish baseball looking asteroids, usually floating just above or below the plane of the general rock plane, will high percentage of the time have a good painite yield (20-40%).

So basically, fire prospectors everywhere till you get a 'feel' for what the good painite looking rocks are, because call me crazy but in my case there -does- seem to be some correlation between how an asteroid looks and the size of it, to what the painite % will be (at least in this hotspot I've been in, like I said don't know if this correlation holds in other hotspots).
Thank you! :)

As the guys above said - the scanner is only useful for the new mining types, as in anything other than laser mining. And painite is a laser mining commodity, so it's a little redundant if you're going for that type of mining.

Glad you have chosen to go do what was originally suggested by the way :) you'll find it much less frustrating. Also, for the 500 you need for unlocking the engineer, it can be anything at all, water if you care for it! A lot of people will mine a bunch of anything, then pick mining missions to fill with what they have - so giving extra cash for the time. Bear in mind you can fill cargo missions with mined stuff too, so you may get lucky.

As an afterthought, you can also combine what I presume you're doing already - mine the 500, and get the painite whilst you're at it too for the other engineer. Can't remember which one, and haven't tried it myself, but I imagine you can combine the two for efficiency.

Have fun :)

Deep core asteroids are found using the Pulse Wave Scanner, with experience you will learn to recognise their shape from a distance. Keeping your finger on the trigger also gives secondary graphical effects such as black Cross hatching or green highlights, using night vision can also enhance the quality of response.

Some commodities such as Low Temp Diamonds appear in Cores and for Laser mining.

From Fandom Wiki....
Note that in metallic rings, Painite is only present on asteroid surfaces and must be mined with Mining Lasers, while in metal-rich rings, it is only present in deep core deposits and must be mined with Seismic Charge Launchers.

As the guys above said - the scanner is only useful for the new mining types, as in anything other than laser mining. And painite is a laser mining commodity, so it's a little redundant if you're going for that type of mining.

Glad you have chosen to go do what was originally suggested by the way :) you'll find it much less frustrating. Also, for the 500 you need for unlocking the engineer, it can be anything at all, water if you care for it! A lot of people will mine a bunch of anything, then pick mining missions to fill with what they have - so giving extra cash for the time. Bear in mind you can fill cargo missions with mined stuff too, so you may get lucky.

As an afterthought, you can also combine what I presume you're doing already - mine the 500, and get the painite whilst you're at it too for the other engineer. Can't remember which one, and haven't tried it myself, but I imagine you can combine the two for efficiency.

Have fun :)
Thanks! Yes, I do also need the Painite for the other ENG, but you can buy that, right? I am not sure that ENG requires it mined, or just bought. Thanks! I found a good place to mine last night, small Painite spot on Kokary 7. I am heading back there in a bit, as I found several LTD and Void Opal core rocks, and was getting better the closer I got to the Tritium HotSpot center. It was at least much better than the 250 LY trip to where that Egg asteroid was with the 3 LTD overlap, although with much less surface LTD. I didn't find one surface level LTD asteroid in Kokary, yet ;)

Painite can only be mined mate, unless you find someone with a carrier who will sell it to you. It is not available for purchase though from any markets, so mining only I'm afraid.

That's why I thought I'd suggest combine the two unlocks if you had a good place to get the stuff. You can drop part of it off at the engineer though I think then go get the rest, if it's a sod to fit it all in in one go without sacrificing other bits :)

Painite can only be mined mate, unless you find someone with a carrier who will sell it to you. It is not available for purchase though from any markets, so mining only I'm afraid.

That's why I thought I'd suggest combine the two unlocks if you had a good place to get the stuff. You can drop part of it off at the engineer though I think then go get the rest, if it's a sod to fit it all in in one go without sacrificing other bits :)
Thanks for the heads up. What do you think about this dude's mining method here?
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoEWhhgttIE
I found a few rocks in Kokary with more than 2 deposits, but has little trick been nerfed on out?

Top Bottom