HP Reverb G2 - The Hype is real

Not really, but you could use the Valve Index controller / HTC Vive Trackers with the G2 in a mixed setup:

Hmm point I was getting at is it seems if the tracking with the G2 controllers is causing you issues you can use this as an option to improve your tracking since it does use the lighthouse which allows hands to be tracked behind your back. haha the finger wiggles at the end of the video in front of the mirror in blade and sorcery made me chuckle.

Last edited:
It is not only improving tracking, you also have a better VR Controller, the Valve Index Controller with full finger tracking. You also have much more options with Lighthouse, like Full Body tracking etc. But sure, that all did not matter on Elite Dangerous.

The video is only in german, but VR-Legion tested the G2 too and his reactions did not need any words. For all that found that MRTV himself is not trustful enough:

In short, he was like
bjQOd.gif

About the image quality, colors, FoV and even the black levels for an LCD.

64, that's why i have bought a Rift S.

62mm are the average for woman's, 65mm for man's. That's why the Rift S have 63.5mm, exactly in the middle. If you read about the Rift S users, there is no user with a IPD between 62 and 65mm that have a problem with it. So to be a bit off should be no problem at all. But i don't know exactly where the limit is that some could have a little problem, it could also a bit higher.

And 60-68 is only the mechanical one, you should be able to adjust it wider in the Software, maybe 2mm in both direction more. I mean MRTV say that HP will make it that way, but I'm not 100% sure about it and i don't know in which video he said it. For ~90% it should be ok and should also work 58 or 62mm, the sweetspot of the G2 is very good to compensate that.

And even when you do not believe the hype and think both are overdo it, it is still better than all others. It also depend what you expect and what you think what their words mean. But both never said anything that contradicts, all sounds believable.

But sure, if you do not have the chance to return the G2 if you do not like it (we have legal return right in germany of 14 days, so it is a no brainer), it can be a too high risk. But in September it will be hard to get one, so you could sell it easily and maybe for more than you pay for it yet.

Last edited:
In short, he was like
bjQOd.gif
See, this is a thing with all these YouTubers getting the hardware before release, you cannot be sure of their objectiveness.
I bought one hardware on pre-order. That was Valve Index. With "knucklegate" and "glaregate". Never again. It's better to wait a bit more and get independent reviews, than to burn money on a pre-order which may or may not fulfill your requirements.

And HP is not Valve, HP have much much more experience in production than Valve has.
And thats why HP collaborate with Valve a lot when designing G2? HP can make decent laptops and all that consumer stuff, but imo in vr territory valve is the most experienced and competent player.

See, this is a thing with all these YouTubers getting the hardware before release, you cannot be sure of their objectiveness.
I bought one hardware on pre-order. That was Valve Index. With "knucklegate" and "glaregate". Never again. It's better to wait a bit more and get independent reviews, than to burn money on a pre-order which may or may not fulfill your requirements.
Agree 100%. mr. Sweviever probably brought a lot of poor kids in pimax world of suffering.

And thats why HP collaborate with Valve a lot when designing G2? HP can make decent laptops and all that consumer stuff, but imo in vr territory valve is the most experienced and competent player.
I said production, not designing. You know what production is?

Agree 100%. mr. Sweviever probably brought a lot of poor kids in pimax world of suffering.
But he is not Pimax, he has no crystal ball that let him look into the future what Pimax will do. Every Tester like him can only say what they see right now in this moment.

I am also a ED (also Star Citizen) Kickstarter Backer and and could not know how much it would get up and down with ED over the years. Either you can trust someone or you can't in the least. I can trust in such things, but i hear to all and make my own picture from it. Pimax is a new Chinese company, so i am directly more carefully.

But HP is no new Chinese company, they are on the market since decades. And i could bought it directly from a store in my country, that make it much easier to return it when i don't like it or need to use the warranty. Without that, if i would need to import the G2, i wouldn't pro-order it and would also wait.

And if there is really something, why i need to exchange the G2, no problem, for that i get it much cheaper.

Edit: to be clear: I'm not trying to convince anybody here, i only want to show my side of view.

Last edited:
What is a "independent reviews"?
It's simple. People who bought the headset with their own money, and are sharing the experience because it's cool (or not). Smaller yt channels which have no chance to strike a deal with hp (or any hardware manufacturers for that matter). Not a well known channel who just so happens to get the pre-production sample before anyone else. That sort of thing.

And if "we do not preorder" is good for games, then it's even better in the hardware world, where you pay huge sums of money for some yet unreleased product. Notable cases in point: first reverbs (recalled), first oled tvs very prone to burn-in and manufacturing defects, valve index knuckles, rtx cards which everyone expected to be a messiah and they provided only 30% performance over 1080Ti... As a fun fact I bought an OLED in 2017 and am now on fourth replacement matrix because of manufacturing defects.

But if the G2 is near that good than you will have a hard time to get a G2 and you need to pay $100+ more.
As far as availability goes, yes, you're probably right. As for the price, I don't think so. And even then, the only thing you will miss is the early adopter hell, where your shiny new toy crashes and refuses to work because there are wrinkles in the software that need ironing out. Been there done that with HTC Vive, participated in the Pitool pimax hell of my backer friend, and also done that to the lesser extent with Valve Index which also needed an "incubation period" of about two to three months for the steamvr to "settle".

I also have two particular requirements when it comes to VR, namely clarity (the field of view which remains clear when you look with your eyes off the center of the lens), and controller comfort. Knuckles set a new bar in controller comfort, and WMR controllers are as primitive as Vive wands in this regard. No touch-sensitive surfaces as well. Reverb might have good clarity from what I have heard so far, but as for me, that's untrustworthy sources.

That with the Price is so. You can only get that cheaper price (599$) until this Friday, than you must pay the normal price (699$).

The video is only in german, but VR-Legion tested the G2 too and his reactions did not need any words. For all that found that MRTV himself is not trustful enough:

In short, he was like
bjQOd.gif

About the image quality, colors, FoV and even the black levels for an LCD.
Dennis looks like MRTV sales boost buddy.. Zero confidence to both vr evangelists.

As far as I remember Dennis was really impressed by 5k + and was laughing about Vive Pro FOV.
Funny to see that Reverb G2 with tinny FOV is now cool and better than 8kx in his honest opinion.
:sunglasses:

(16:50)
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1012&v=wsb9HE795sU&feature=emb_logo

First impressions and opinions can change over time. And MRTV have nothing from it when people return there G2. Specially MRTV live from the trust at his work, he works also with companies and advise them about VR. He would ruin his complete VR business if he would lie and that only for money from HP? That makes not much sense at all. And his review of the G1 was not that good for HP. Thanks to his work he has a direct contact to the HP VR headset developers and that was also a reason why only he get the G2.

By the way it makes not even sense, if they really want to only sell the G2 more, they would not speak about the downside of the G2. And Dennis would not hate the WMR tracking and the controllers.

But i see, here it is more important to talk about confidence than about the G2.

Last edited:
These reviews always remind me of car magazines. New car launches, best thing since slice bread, same with the next new one. A year later oh yes car x from last year was such a lemon. Hm, that's not what you said a year ago.

Keep in mind that the review headset is a specially selected one and it has been checked over 100% before being sent out. I doubt it was just a random pull from the assembly line :).

Wait for the experiences on reddit to trickle in of real uses.

First impressions and opinions can change over time. And MRTV have nothing from it when people return there G2. Specially MRTV live from the trust at his work, he works also with companies and advise them about VR. He would ruin his complete VR business if he would lie and that only for money from HP? That makes not much sense at all. And his review of the G1 was not that good for HP. Thanks to his work he has a direct contact to the HP VR headset developers and that was also a reason why only he get the G2.

By the way it makes not even sense, if they really want to only sell the G2 more, they would not speak about the downside of the G2. And Dennis would not hate the WMR tracking and the controllers.

But i see, here it is more important to talk about confidence than about the G2.

Cons: G1 was terrible, bad mura spoiling the optics, smaller FOV than stated on the box, short cable, no IPD adjustment, Windows MR tracking
Pro's: Valve helped them make it and it seems more like an Index 1.5 than an HP G2, probably better for simmers 'cause they'll be using wheels or HOTAS rather than WMR controllers

I actually like the presenter but I'm not sure how unbiased he is, tho' he seems to have gotten off the Pimax hype train for now.

Completely disagree. G1 is marvelous headset.
In my opinion FOV is similar to Odyssey+. Perception of FOV depends of IPD.

It's simple. People who bought the headset with their own money, and are sharing the experience because it's cool (or not). Smaller yt channels which have no chance to strike a deal with hp (or any hardware manufacturers for that matter). Not a well known channel who just so happens to get the pre-production sample before anyone else. That sort of thing.

And if "we do not preorder" is good for games, then it's even better in the hardware world, where you pay huge sums of money for some yet unreleased product. Notable cases in point: first reverbs (recalled), first oled tvs very prone to burn-in and manufacturing defects, valve index knuckles, rtx cards which everyone expected to be a messiah and they provided only 30% performance over 1080Ti... As a fun fact I bought an OLED in 2017 and am now on fourth replacement matrix because of manufacturing defects.

As far as availability goes, yes, you're probably right. As for the price, I don't think so. And even then, the only thing you will miss is the early adopter hell, where your shiny new toy crashes and refuses to work because there are wrinkles in the software that need ironing out. Been there done that with HTC Vive, participated in the Pitool pimax hell of my backer friend, and also done that to the lesser extent with Valve Index which also needed an "incubation period" of about two to three months for the steamvr to "settle".

I also have two particular requirements when it comes to VR, namely clarity (the field of view which remains clear when you look with your eyes off the center of the lens), and controller comfort. Knuckles set a new bar in controller comfort, and WMR controllers are as primitive as Vive wands in this regard. No touch-sensitive surfaces as well. Reverb might have good clarity from what I have heard so far, but as for me, that's untrustworthy sources.

You ofc need to be cautious with reviewers you do not know but if you watch certain reviewers long enough you can get a feel of what type of person they are and how objective they are.

For MRTV he is usually pretty objective if you ignore all his it's amazing comments, and is not afraid to point out the good AND the bad and usually more than once. For the rest the guy genuinely has a passion for VR so every new advancement is frankly just amazing for him and he says so..it's just one of his idiosyncrasies. I would even say he is objective enough that he has even gotten in trouble or some drama with Pimax and Swiver who is not so objective especially since he now officially works for Pimax.

Your independent reviewers you may not know so well so what they think is great or better may vary wildly so you may not be that much better off believing some random joe review if you haven't seen a ton by them and have gotten to know them better so to speak. I swear some reddit reviewers give some thing really bad reviews due to their own stupidity and not knowing how to set thing up sometimes...or having unrealistic expectations.

I do agree however if there is some problem that crops in in the production runs you tend to get an idea of how wide spread it is by watching reddit complaints as a whole etc but that's pretty much like that for the first run of any new tech.

I do believe though when you preorder you are getting the first batches of devices which may suffer or run into production problems that may have been missed and will be subsequently fixed so pre ordering has it advantages and disadvantages to each their own.

Personally I will wait.

Last edited:
me too. i had been tempted to get a reverb pro or index for a while but decided to stay with the old rift a bit longer, i don't really play that much anymore and spending on gadgets for a non-substantial improvement makes me uneasy.

but one of the sensors just died the other day, and while i can play elite with only 1 just fine, truth is that after a lot of hours this trusty old rift is begging for a replacement. i pre-ordered that one too back in the day, with much more uncertainty, and was not disappointed. the tech has now improved quite a bit since and this new headset from hp looks really good on all fronts to me, from a serious manufacturer, at a reasonable price ... i'll give it a shot.

fingers crossed indeed, tell you october 2nd 🤞😅

Top Bottom