Black Power Play

wouldn't we all be a uniform mix of all races by now in the future? The only thing that allowed the different races to form on earth is geographical separation. Something that in the game wouldn't have existed for a thousand+ years. If anything, we should be starting to see the beginnings of whole new races created by the unique environments of the various planets and low gravity stations humanity is spread out on.

How would our skin react to entirely different solar radiation over hundreds of years? Different gravity and weather patterns. Even slightly different atmospheric concentrations.

We really should see significant height differences based on where someone grew up (and their ancestors). We should see significant differences in muscle development. Potentially much more weathered looking people.. Potentially much hairier people.. Potentially people who are extremely light sensitive (for generations have lived in low light environments). Many many options

Just another area of role playing that Fdev has dropped the ball completely on exploring. But hey, we have a 1:1 galaxy of empty pointless systems to travel thru and hundreds of inconsequential factions we can't join or really interact with. So mission accomplished?

So. To get things back to topic.

I am wondering what this 'Black Power Play' leader, would be offering their loyal subjects? What rewards would be on offer, for ranking with this power?

20% discount on Onion Head?
Some nice, contrasting coloured paint jobs?
Some serious base cannons, that vibrate enemy ships, to pieces?

As a Rastafarian Buddhist myself, I have no issue with having some black power in the game: As long as the leader, is the cat, from Red Dwarf.

. Stupid phone having a mental.

I may be off kilter here, but aren't people from Central and Southern America, who are of Iberian descent, supposed to be referred to as Latin now?

I realize my grammar above is a bit crappy, but the point stands. I could be wrong though, but I thought Hispanic was out as a term.

Anyway, I fear I'm entering dangerous waters here, so am going to back out slowly before my feet get bitten by the pc police.

Last edited:
There could only be one candidate in my books...
images.jpg

The Daywalker...

. Stupid phone having a mental.

I may be off kilter here, but aren't people from Central and Southern America, who are of Iberian descent, supposed to be referred to as Latin now?

I realize my grammar above is a bit crappy, but the point stands. I could be wrong though, but I thought Hispanic was out as a term.

Anyway, I fear I'm entering dangerous waters here, so am going to back out slowly before my feet get bitten by the pc police.

Latin can be a language or a reference to persons from Central and South America and throw Cuba in as well (Latino is the preferred term). Hispanic (come to find out it was made up by the US Census Bureau) refers to persons who are from Spain (more directly, Spaniards or their descendants), those who speak Spanish.

Don't you love pigeonholing and labeling? Makes some people feel better so they can use preconceived notions to "know" who you are.

I'm following Sir Bottom Hat out the door...

Latin can be a language or a reference to persons from Central and South America and throw Cuba in as well (Latino is the preferred term). Hispanic (come to find out it was made up by the US Census Bureau) refers to persons who are from Spain (more directly, Spaniards or their descendants), those who speak Spanish.

Don't you love pigeonholing and labeling? Makes some people feel better so they can use preconceived notions to "know" who you are.

I'm following Sir Bottom Hat out the door...

Lol! You can use my footprints to guide you hahaha! ;)

Joking aside, it's inter reading what you shared, but not from the pigeonhole perspective if you know what I mean. I'd shared the Latin thing as it's what a friend from FL told me, and it set me wondering whether Hispanic was now seen as an unsavoury term, but I thought I'd not openly ask that in case the pc police had a sniper on duty!

Nonetheless, I agree with the sentiment you shared though about pigeonholing. It can be useful to know the right word if you're describing someone to another, but often I find just saying darker skin is easier. I do feel I'm getting a bit too serious though with this all?!

Other than that, I think grouping people is generally counterproductive like yourself, but I also think that works both ways. It's just a shame that it'll probably be another 50 years minimum before bigotry over a person's color or ethnicity begins to fade away - ie until bigots die out lol! Even then it won't disappear for a much longer time.

Anyway, I have written too much serious opinion here, that I need to even it out with a hefty dose of lunacy I feel, for everyone's sake!

So, here is my suggestion for a new powerplay guy (careful the genders) that would satisfy the OPs request. I think there can be only one hero in this position, and frankly I pity the fool that disagrees.....

s-l400.jpg

Skin colour is unimportant. I'm currently considerably darker skinned than a couple of my Indian friends... Thanks to a good, healthy dog-walk every day... If I spend extended time out in the sun, even here in the UK, I get a very heavy tan... But that may be due to having 'interesting' ancestors :)

The point is, race in how it exists on earth now makes no sense in the game and the characters currently displayed in the game dont make sense given the game's own lore.

There should be differences but they should be based on conditions of where they live in Elite's universe and be totally novel compared to how people look in different places of earth.

If we keep trying to make this argument that this game is "hard sci fi" then maybe it should actually try to reflect that term for once. Since it seems to ignore it completely everywhere else that's convenient besides a bunch of stats on stellar objects that dont actually matter to the game.

Top Bottom