ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
No, no they didn't. Unless you have a different clip from where they changed their mind ...

Source: https://clips.twitch.tv/AwkwardBitterBulgogiJonCarnage
Well, Bruce said there'd be a date for the Dev Diaries this Thursday, after which indeed there was a certain amount of backtracking.

So an unannouncement of an announcement of an announcement of ... whatever we get in the Dev Diary.

Do you think Bruce was mistaken or did he just say something he didn't oughter?

Well, I'm rather hoping the first dev diary will give us the first reasonably full overview of everything that's going to be in Odyssey, which I'm inclined to class as an announcement, but hey, semantics.... :)

I'm afraid your hopes will be in vain. I'd be very, very surprised if the first dev diary would give us a "full overview of everything". I don't even think Frontier is going to reveal all headline features that early.

I'm afraid your hopes will be in vain. I'd be very, very surprised if the first dev diary would give us a "full overview of everything". I don't even think Frontier is going to reveal all headline features that early.
Well, I did say "hoping", not "expecting". We could well end next week with a much better understanding of how to create a "tenuous" atmosphere and little else.

There may be a certain amount of displeasure expressed on the forums if that is indeed the case.

Given the deplorable state of that sentence, I think I'll pass on taking instruction in English from you. :p

may be because I am not English.
But since it seems you are, can you please tell me the right sentence, just to learn something.
ah, and despite my english, remain the fact that you don't know the meaning of "announcment" no matter the language.

may be because I am not English.
But since it seems you are, can you please tell me the right sentence, just to learn something.
ah, and despite my english, remain the fact that you don't know the meaning of "announcment" no matter the language.
I read your original sentence and thought that there was nothing more wrong with it than a basic typing mistake, and forums posts/text messages have lots of those. Indeed, I've seen many of those in forum posts from native English speakers, as well as having made many of those typing mistakes myself; so please don't need to beat your self up about it. What's your native language?

Since you asked for the corrections to improve your English the original sentence you and dagwit were discussing, I'll give you some pointers.

The original sentence was...

It Is not semantics, Is that you don't know the meaning of the word "announcement"
With a couple of minor corrections that becomes:

It is not semantics, it's that you don't know the meaning of the word "announcement."

At the start, the second word of the sentence "Is" should only have a lower case "i" not a capital letter. Capital letters mid sentence are for the word I or proper nouns like "English" or "Monday", every other word in the middle of a sentence states with a lower case letter. After the first word instance of the word semantics, I changed the word "Is" to "it's" removing the capitalisation of the letter I and changing the word from "is" to "it's". Generally speaking, if you start a sentence or resume after the pause indicated by a comma with the word "is", it means that what is going to come next is a question. For example:

I've made a few corrections to some of your sentences, is that OK with you?

Do you see how the position of the word "is" leads what comes next to being a question?

Like I say matey, it's minor corrections :)

I read your original sentence and thought that there was nothing more wrong with it than a basic typing mistake, and forums posts/text messages have lots of those. Indeed, I've seen many of those in forum posts from native English speakers, as well as having made many of those typing mistakes myself; so please don't need to beat your self up about it. What's your native language?

Since you asked for the corrections to improve your English the original sentence you and dagwit were discussing, I'll give you some pointers.

The original sentence was...

With a couple of minor corrections that becomes:

It is not semantics, it's that you don't know the meaning of the word "announcement."

At the start, the second word of the sentence "Is" should only have a lower case "i" not a capital letter. Capital letters mid sentence are for the word I or proper nouns like "English" or "Monday", every other word in the middle of a sentence states with a lower case letter. After the first word instance of the word semantics, I changed the word "Is" to "it's" removing the capitalisation of the letter I and changing the word from "is" to "it's". Generally speaking, if you start a sentence or resume after the pause indicated by a comma with the word "is", it means that what is going to come next is a question. For example:

I've made a few corrections to some of your sentences, is that OK with you?

Do you see how the position of the word "is" leads what comes next to being a question?

Like I say matey, it's minor corrections :)

Elite: Dangerous...

The game where english lessons on the forums are more engaging than the game itself.

Take control of your own...keyboard...in a dangerous galaxy! In the 34th century, across the vast expanse of an epic, full-scale recreation of our Milky Way's forum, interstellar rivalries all located on the same planet flare as galactic superpowers fight internet proxy wars. Start with a small collection of memes and a handful of vowels, and do whatever it takes to earn the skill, knowledge, wealth and power to stand among the ranks of the iconic Elite.

I read your original sentence and thought that there was nothing more wrong with it than a basic typing mistake,
Yeah, I was being a bit hard on govny because he is, well, better at English than I probably would be at his native language, but I'm better at English than he is, and I have some better sense of how far you can stretch the meaning of words for comic effect than he has, and I didn't much appreciate his assumption of the opposite.

As for "announcement", the first thing that comes up on Google when you search for its meaning is:

"a formal public statement about a fact, occurrence, or intention."

Is a Dev Diary not a formal public statement? Is it to be devoid of facts? (OK, as zimms reminds me, we'll have to wait and see on that one.)

Yes, I was stretching the meaning a bit, for comic effect, to exploit a meme that's been floating about the forums of late. You're allowed to do that.

Pretty close, however in British English the full stop would follow rather than precede the closing quote in "announcement". But it's not worth refighting the War of Yankee Betrayal over.

Last edited:

The game where english lessons on the forums are more engaging than the game itself.

Take control of your own...keyboard...in a dangerous galaxy! In the 34th century, across the vast expanse of an epic, full-scale recreation of our Milky Way's forum, interstellar rivalries all located on the same planet flare as galactic superpowers fight internet proxy wars. Start with a small collection of memes and a handful of vowels, and do whatever it takes to earn the skill, knowledge, wealth and power to stand among the ranks of the iconic Elite.

That post just won the internet for the week! Epic! Reading that was the most I've laughed in a fortnight :)

Yeah, I was being a bit hard on govny because he is, well, better at English than I probably would be at his native language, but I'm better at English than he is, and I have some better sense of how far you can stretch the meaning of words for comic effect than he has, and I didn't much appreciate his assumption of the opposite.

As for "announcement, the first thing that comes up on Google when you search for its meaning is:

"a formal public statement about a fact, occurrence, or intention."

Is a Dev Diary not a formal public statement? Is it to be devoid of facts? (OK, as zimms reminds me, we'll have to wait and see on that one.)

Yes, I was stretching the meaning a bit, for comic effect, to exploit a meme that's been floating about the forums of late. You're allowed to do that.

Pretty close, however in British English the full stop would follow rather than precede the closing quote in "announcement". But it's not worth refighting the War of Yankee Betrayal over.

I pondered that one as well, but as much as I hate to say it, us "limeys" with proper our British version of the English language, are somewhat of a minority amongst the international English speaking community. And do you realise we are just feeding sandkid now...? If the Sisko's "breaking news" thread was still running, we'd be immortalised in a break your own news meme - "English teachers argue over the position of a period in a sentence" - and yes it would be apt to use the word period not sull stop to mock us with colonial dialect.

and yes it would be apt to use the word period not sull stop to mock us with colonial dialect
I would mock you for the typo except that I had to go back and correct one in my own post. :)

To be honest, I've spent so much time reading American English text that I have to reach for my guides when I'm seriously copy-editing.

... misspelling Odyssey multiple times...
Now I feel a serious compulsion to search for all the posts in which I've used the word, to see if I ever misspelled it.

I Know we have our gripes and what not but man... Rockstar games has to be the absolute worse in the business.

The biggest video game developers this gen and I don't even think red dead online has a community manager.

Rockstar gets a pass for just now ty they treat their community.

Imagine that commander as pirate npc throwing hatch breaker to board your ship but just to check grammaticals in your data transmissions...you have 15 seconds to let me proof read your data or else!

Last edited:
Imagine that commander as pirate npc throwing hatch breaker to board your ship but just to check grammaticals in your data transmissions...you have 15 seconds to let me proof read your data or else!

"Give me 15 tons worth of Powerplay Suggestions, or else!"

"Drop 5 tons of Multicrew complaints now!"

"Oh ho, hauling a lot of Fleet Carrier Hype?"

"Announcements of announcements. My children will go hungry tonight."

I Know we have our gripes and what not but man... Rockstar games has to be the absolute worse in the business.

The biggest video game developers this gen and I don't even think red dead online has a community manager.

Rockstar gets a pass for just now poopooty they treat their community.

None can compare with EA lol

Odyssey. You will be able to walk on planets. You will spawn at the foot of your ship ramp. You will be able to walk into small isolated structures which behave like a walk-in menu for legs missions. Some of the landable planets will have coloured skies but no weather. The rest will stay unlandable. And that's it. Odyssey.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom