ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
And that will also be why the game's slowly being turned from a challenging simulation of a harsh gritty mildly dystopian galaxy into a kiddies cookie clicker "yay I grind the exploits until I win" sort of a game.
And possibly why the next major expansion appears to be focussed on the FPS structure, a favourite of the younger players?

The Dev Diary date is next Tuesday the 18th of August. They did announce it on stream last night.

Link to last night's stream.
Thx for info! ... I only wonder why no one from community managers was able write short note about it here on forums. I understand that Frontier like to use numerous info channels, but imo these forums should be MAIN channel, a place where I will find all latest official news, informations and notes without a need to search trough reddit, twitter, discords, some "radios" etc. ... Beside this there was announced earlier that in August will be released more info about Odyssey and we are now in 1/2 of month and here on forums is just a official silence (which is sadly a usual state for a very long time already)

Galnet? The fluff? II's? anything else... None of that is actual content - Galnet was fluff that most folk appeared to ignore, until the fluff was removed. II's were occasional additions to the game... Even the Thargoid menace was crafted additions rather than permanent game content.

Have I missed anything?
The answer to the question "have they removed any features or content which they haven't removed?" is indeed "No", since you appear to retrospectively be defining anything which has been removed as "not permanent" and therefore it's not "a removal" if they stop doing it.

But, Community Goals would probably be a good example.
  • Released in 1.1 as the headline feature of the expansion.
  • At least one weekly for most of the game's life
  • None at all since last December, no expectation that they'll return

On a smaller scale, numerous signal source and mission templates have been retired over the years - including some of the more interesting ones.

The Thargoid corrosion/repair mechanism for starports was removed.

Technically CGs, Galnet, Interstellar Initiatives, etc. are not removed, they're just temporarily suspended ... but they said that about player-submitted Galnet articles too, which are quite clearly (and with good reason!) permanently gone. I expect the "Galnet" panel button and "CG" mission board button will stay in game for the next five years even if there's never another use for either, just because they can't bear to say definitely "no, not coming back" for anything.

I expect the "Galnet" panel button and "CG" mission board button will stay in game for the next five years even if there's never another use for either, just because they can't bear to say definitely "no, not coming back" for anything.
That's one of the things I'm interested to see in future trailer/gameplay/diaries before the release of Odyssey. Is the cockpit, the graphics, the interface .... stuff ... the same as currently? If so then the suggestions of some sort of rewrite will likely be false, and instead Odyssey will turn out to be a bolt-on to the existing game. Which would be a disappointment.

The answer to the question "have they removed any features or content which they haven't removed?" is indeed "No", since you appear to retrospectively be defining anything which has been removed as "not permanent" and therefore it's not "a removal" if they stop doing it.

But, Community Goals would probably be a good example.
  • Released in 1.1 as the headline feature of the expansion.
  • At least one weekly for most of the game's life
  • None at all since last December, no expectation that they'll return

On a smaller scale, numerous signal source and mission templates have been retired over the years - including some of the more interesting ones.

The Thargoid corrosion/repair mechanism for starports was removed.

Technically CGs, Galnet, Interstellar Initiatives, etc. are not removed, they're just temporarily suspended ... but they said that about player-submitted Galnet articles too, which are quite clearly (and with good reason!) permanently gone. I expect the "Galnet" panel button and "CG" mission board button will stay in game for the next five years even if there's never another use for either, just because they can't bear to say definitely "no, not coming back" for anything.
Exactly that - remove would indicate that a permanent feature had disappeared, whereas from the time I started playing ED (only 33 months, granted) more content has been added to the game permanently - rather than the opposite.

I deliberately listed the things allegedly 'removed' as the OP just threw some histrionics without foundation, just a generic "find it yourself" while missing that no permanent feature (apart from the ADS, thank goodness!) has been actually removed - even with the ADS it wasn't only replaced with a much improved mechanic, but actually freed a slot for something else useful :)

ETA: I'd ideally like to have AXCZ's back for this account to progress the last few % to elite - but the Thargoid war is between invasions....
As the CG 'feature' post was pre-me playing I wasn't aware of it - good point made (y)

Last edited:
Exactly that - remove would indicate that a permanent feature had disappeared, whereas from the time I started playing ED (only 33 months, granted) more content has been added to the game permanently - rather than the opposite.

I deliberately listed the things allegedly 'removed' as the OP just threw some histrionics without foundation, just a generic "find it yourself" while missing that no permanent feature (apart from the ADS, thank goodness!) has been actually removed - even with the ADS it wasn't only replaced with a much improved mechanic, but actually freed a slot for something else useful :)

ETA: I'd ideally like to have AXCZ's back for this account to progress the last few % to elite - but the Thargoid war is between invasions....
As the CG 'feature' post was pre-me playing I wasn't aware of it - good point made (y)

The removal of the ADS (and IDS/BDS) was pointless & if they were added back into outfitting right now nobody would lose out. The functionality still works in tagged & pre-discovered systems & would continue to in virgin & partially discovered systems had they not been removed, or were added back into the game. The slot it would occupy would remain optional had it remained or were put back in as-was.

Functionality of the the trading market comparison was removed from the Carrier update onwards, it's not clear whether some of this is intended, but icons have been removed from the galaxy map info box for targeted systems.

Having no new galnet stories isn't a removal, it's just no longer having new stuff added but old articles are no longer available in-game as far as I can see (I never used the stuff) for no obvious reason, specific articles being retconned out of history would be understandable.

Odyssey is a DLC & therefore optional. It may not continue full functionality from the existing game (ie VR) but theoretically it shouldn't impact the base game or Horizons functionality at all, because it'll be optional extra content.

What do we think about the dev diary being published on the day Microsoft Flight Sim is released? Coincidence or a deliberate plan for some reason?

That's one of the things I'm interested to see in future trailer/gameplay/diaries before the release of Odyssey. Is the cockpit, the graphics, the interface .... stuff ... the same as currently? If so then the suggestions of some sort of rewrite will likely be false, and instead Odyssey will turn out to be a bolt-on to the existing game. Which would be a disappointment.
I'm not sure where the expectations of "some sort of rewrite" come from, though? Frontier have always been clear that Odyssey will be an Elite Dangerous expansion.

As it's a paid optional expansion, the rest of the game has to continue to work without it, so "bolt-on" at least in the same sense that Horizons was.

There'll presumably be improvements that affect the base game as well (just as Horizons had) but nothing that really makes sense to describe as a rewrite (at least, no more so than some of Beyond was)

Yeah guys, I'm not suggesting Microsoft are even aware lol. I'm asking why fdev bothered on a day when, lets be honest, quite a few ED players will be flying over their houses 😃

I'll be flying in MFS on the 18th, and I doubt I'll even bother to find out what Frontier reveals until Obsidian Ant makes a video about it and I watch it in bed the following night.

I mean yeah I'm curious to see what the first dev diary actually tells us but I'm expecting so little that I'm just not excited about it anymore, and the fact they picked the day MFS releases simply means I'll be too busy to bother. Odyssey is still half a year away so there's plenty of time to find out what it will actually bring to the game. Frontier procrastinated too long, they've lost my interest and Microsoft has garnered it all with their passion and community building attitude.

Dev Diary's don't mean much when I'm getting a revolutionary flight sim on the same day!

I'm not sure where the expectations of "some sort of rewrite" come from, though? Frontier have always been clear that Odyssey will be an Elite Dangerous expansion.

As it's a paid optional expansion, the rest of the game has to continue to work without it, so "bolt-on" at least in the same sense that Horizons was.

There'll presumably be improvements that affect the base game as well (just as Horizons had) but nothing that really makes sense to describe as a rewrite (at least, no more so than some of Beyond was)
Quite possibly, likely even, but I admit to holding out some hope that some sort of code rationalisation has happened and the version of ED in EDO will be ED: Enhanced Edition in effect, sorting some of the issues caused by building on the design and code from 2014.

Quite possibly, likely even, but I admit to holding out some hope that some sort of code rationalisation has happened and the version of ED in EDO will be ED: Enhanced Edition in effect, sorting some of the issues caused by building on the design and code from 2014.

Given the timescale & features announced I expect it. It's gonna work straight out of the box too, because they have their best team on it ;)

Seriously I have no expectations other than that I will continue to be able to play the game I bought & ignore any fluff that gets added until the servers are switched off at this stage.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom