ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
The ONLY conclusion we can possibly come to us that we will be seeing some lovely MSFS2020 style atmospheres in the EDO dev diary.

😎

(not the only conclusion)
(lovely atmospheres not guaranteed)

Well, can you imagine what the devs who look at the 'What I want to see in dev diary" thread are thinking right now, and what Bruce is thinking knowing its contents? If its anything like a grilled haulloumi Tuesday piece its going to materialise salt on a scale so large, new mathmatics would be needed to measure it.

Well, can you imagine what the devs who look at the 'What I want to see in dev diary" thread are thinking right now, and what Bruce is thinking knowing its contents? If its anything like a grilled haulloumi Tuesday piece its going to materialise salt on a scale so large, new mathmatics would be needed to measure it.
I suspects there won't be much controversial, just somes pretty things.
Sexi-dancings enticement mode in effect y'all..
I did notice OA posts a vid about why VR hard though...but surely too soons for another VR bomb?

Newsletter 299 hits our inbox on the 15th, it's a weekly newsletter, newsletter is therefore due on 22nd, so why are they having their 300th newsletter celebrations on 28th?

I really am starting to feel sorry for Fdev, they work and work and work on something and theres a whole Community HERE on their own forum just waiting with anticipation...and then they just blow both feet off with a shotgun creating more salt so by the time it happens everybody is ready to get annoyed at something

I know a Community Manager is more of a Media Manager but still....

Perhaps the foot / shotgun parody/analogy is why they when it comes to the forums? But maybe that analogy is apt given they seem to have a proclivity towards passive placations rather than assertive statements?

Most of the "meaningful debates" / "Epic forum battles" in the 5+ years I've been here have always been binary: "instant vs delayed" ship transfer "VR in Odyssey / Odyssey 2D" etc. These polarise the community until passive non-committal placations are presented by the company, and at that point no one is satisfied. The reaction of the community in these fiercely debated discussions to the typically banal passive placations frontier seems to have adopted as their "lingua franca" has always been both sides of the discussions load their shotguns and forming irate mobs.... Whereas an assertive statement from frontier would have only fired up one side of the debate, thus reducing the number of forum combatants by 50%, not to mention winning the allegiance of those who "won" the topic.

Over the half-decade or more I've been here, I've arrived at the starkly obvious conclusion that frontier as a company "don't have the minerals" to make any definitive statement. It was bad enough, but just about tolerable when these non-comittal benalities were the defacto responses for "frivolous" questions like "more SRV's?" or "powerplay improvements?" or "are you gonna finish multicrew", but when a significant section of the community is facing an existential threat "can we paly the incoming, but long overdue, update to the game using a long-established and fast-growing technology? One which your presence will significantly increase your sales revenue." I am of course talking about VR. And the company's dilly dancing dithering "ahm, well, maybe, exploring options, more info nearer launch" doesn't "cut it" for me and most certainly doesn't impress me. The words that spring to mind are "Run to F*=K and gro a pair!!!!"....!

The CM's are only the messenger's, the go-betweens- insulating the company from the players wrath while affording the company an insight into their customers intelligence, so the CM's role is half liaison half market research. As such I'd recommend any "dissidents" like myself keep in mind that it's not appropriate or beneficial to "shoot the messenger", although launching a nuke in response to the "wrong"/undesired message is a perfectly valid negotiation tactic.

TL-DR: Don't abuse CM's when you don't like what they (are being told to) say. Do however kick up ICBM level furore when the company patsies these guys off with a message that you do not like.

Perhaps the foot / shotgun parody/analogy is why they watch when it comes to the forums? But maybe that analogy is apt given they seem to have a proclivity towards passive placations rather than assertive statements?

Most of the "meaningful debates" / "Epic forum battles" in the 5+ years I've been here have always been binary: "instant vs delayed" ship transfer "VR in Odyssey / Odyssey 2D" etc. These polarise the community until passive non-committal placations are presented by the company, and at that point no one is satisfied. The reaction of the community in these fiercely debated discussions to the typically banal passive placations frontier seems to have adopted as their "lingua franca" has always been both sides of the discussions load their shotguns and forming irate mobs.... Whereas an assertive statement from frontier would have only fired up one side of the debate, thus reducing the number of forum combatants by 50%, not to mention winning the allegiance of those who "won" the topic.

Over the half-decade or more I've been here, I've arrived at the starkly obvious conclusion that frontier as a company "don't have the minerals" to make any definitive statement. It was bad enough, but just about tolerable when these non-comittal benalities were the defacto responses for "frivolous" questions like "more SRV's?" or "powerplay improvements?" or "are you gonna finish multicrew", but when a significant section of the community is facing an existential threat "can we paly the incoming, but long overdue, update to the game using a long-established and fast-growing technology? One which your presence will significantly increase your sales revenue." I am of course talking about VR. And the company's dilly dancing dithering "ahm, well, maybe, exploring options, more info nearer launch" doesn't "cut it" for me and most certainly doesn't impress me. The words that spring to mind are "Run to F*=K and gro a pair!!!!"....!

The CM's are only the messenger's, the go-betweens- insulating the company from the players wrath while affording the company an insight into their customers intelligence, so the CM's role is half liaison half market research. As such I'd recommend any "dissidents" like myself keep in mind that it's not appropriate or beneficial to "shoot the messenger", although launching a nuke in response to the "wrong"/undesired message is a perfectly valid negotiation tactic.

TL-DR: Don't abuse CM's when you don't like what they (are being told to) say. Do however kick up ICBM level furore when the company patsies these guys off with a message that you do not like.
In summary - fdev makes their game and not us. Getting involved in community demands for x or y is rarely a good idea for them, might seem like a great idea for us, but not them. They will make the game the are making and then tell us about it on their schedule.

At least VR did get an early response - not in Odyssey at launch.

In summary - fdev makes their game and not us. Getting involved in community demands for x or y is rarely a good idea for them, might seem like a great idea for us, but not them. They will make the game the are making and then tell us about it on their schedule.

At least VR did get an early response - not in Odyssey at launch.
Already during the DDF (Kickstarter era), Frontier had clearly indicated that they are the only decision-makers of what to do.

At least the community had been warned.

🦠 🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠😷

Already during the DDF (Kickstarter era), Frontier had clearly indicated that they are the only decision-makers of what to do.

🦠 🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠😷

Can confirm this is true. I seem to recall a certain, vocal dev who managed the "controller" setup explicitly stating this :cool: . That does not mean they will change not their mind rather it is their game to develop, their way.

🦠 🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠😷
yes, but FDEV sold the ability to influence the game only to ghost the DDF backers in a most rude way.

And the 'god-like power to direct the game' never materialised.

Weirdo FD communications never cease to bewilder.

Don't you want to fix Horizon before releasing Odyssey?
Main activities are still heavily bugged:
  • Mining
  • Exploration
More on: https://issues.frontierstore.net/reported-issues/elite-dangerous
Stop adding useless features and start fixing already implemented features could be a good idea.

Please don't listen to this guy.
The majority are eagerly awaiting Odyssey, and of course we know you are also working on bug fixing.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom