August Dev Diary, your hopes and expectations

But I'm not sure there is a space legs implementation that would satisfy everybody.
That is an impossiblilty!
I can't think of any game, since the advent of Pong on TV (showing my age :) ), that satisfied everybody...

But, as the 'big bosses' at Frontier have decided we need a FPS probably someone will like it :)
I'm open to being surprised...

That is an impossiblilty!
I can't think of any game, since the advent of Pong on TV (showing my age :) ), that satisfied everybody...

But, as the 'big bosses' at Frontier have decided we need a FPS probably someone will like it :)
I'm open to being surprised...

I am also from the Pong era!

I think it depends on whether you think of a ELITE as a space flight simulator or whether you think of it more as a Han Solo simulator (which is the camp I'm in). So being able to get out on foot is a good thing in my book. There are only so many types of adventure you can have if you're always sitting down in a spaceship.

I'd forgotten that the preview we have talks about missions. So I guess it's just trying to imagine how you'd do missions for all the different "professions" on foot.

I am also from the Pong era!

I think it depends on whether you think of a ELITE as a space flight simulator or whether you think of it more as a Han Solo simulator (which is the camp I'm in). So being able to get out on foot is a good thing in my book. There are only so many types of adventure you can have if you're always sitting down in a spaceship.

I'd forgotten that the preview we have talks about missions. So I guess it's just trying to imagine how you'd do missions for all the different "professions" on foot.
I'm hoping that the on-foot bit does open multiple doors for variety - but it is very much a 'wait and see' for a little while.

If you ignore the pedigree (or lack of it!) NMS actually does on-foot (& jump pack) reasonably well, with a reasonable variety of actions possible - the latest Freighter missions are really quite good. If Frontier can 'capture' ideas from there...

Dropping out of nowhere but since the subject is about the dev diary of august weren't we supposed to have an update about it this week ?

Dropping out of nowhere but since the subject is about the dev diary of august weren't we supposed to have an update about it this week ?
Yesterday's livestream mentioned it as being next Tuesday... Not seen anything on the forum yet though - perhaps I should check :)

Yes, as long as it was all:-
  • Solidly based on Stellar Forge info/hand wavium science - ie: Based/altered sensibly on gravity, atmospheric make up etc.
  • Lots of layers of diversity - So you can land by a lake, at night, with aurora fluttering overhead, with a storm flickering in the distance. Strange plants next to the lake. All distorted by the rain drops falling onto your canopy (large drops at a slow speed due to the low gravity). And overhead, just visible through the clouds, a comet can just be made out.

Aww man, you're gonna be so disappointed... I feel sorry for you buddy.

Here's hoping eh?....

😂🤣😅😂🤣😂😅😂🤣🤣😂

I've had the newsletter today. Doesn't seem to mention the developer diary that Stephen so clearly trailed in the livestream yesterday.

Frontier communications get ever weirder.

I've had the newsletter today. Doesn't seem to mention the developer diary that Stephen so clearly trailed in the livestream yesterday.

Not a good sign if it isn't in the newsletter. I'd say we probably have our answer on how much new info we will get.

Really? Thats insane.

286 people watched that stream, so 'the message' was not exactly circulated extensively to begin with.

Frontier really is terrible at communicating. I just can't understand why they CONTINUE to be terrible at it, like what is preventing them from improving? It's like they try hard to suck at communicating with their players. They have a forum, a newsletter, a YouTube channel, and yet they often all but refuse to utilize their own channels to convey major info.

It's never made much sense to me.

ED newsletters typically are a look-back on what happened the past week. I expect a summary of the peek next week in the newsletter.

I also expect the Dev diary to be what it was with Planet Zoo initially. So more 'here is where we drink coffee' and less 'these features are being worked on'.

ED newsletters typically are a look-back on what happened the past week. I expect a summary of the peek next week in the newsletter.
What happened yesterday is that a representative of Frontier announced that the first dev diary will take place on Tuesday, 7PM BST. It appears yesterday's news is not worthy of today's newsletter.

The first diary for Planet Zoo did have character models for the animals, in game footage, developer tools working on the animation, and an overview of the scientific basis for the game.

Something similar will presumably show in game footage, developers showing work in progress on screens, and some sort of an overview?

We could learn a lot, or we could learn something, but there surely must be footage of the game in action.

What happened yesterday is that a representative of Frontier announced that the first dev diary will take place on Tuesday, 7PM BST. It appears yesterday's news is not worthy of today's newsletter.
I mean, sure, if one really wants to complain there's always ways.

With all respect for your enthousiasm, an announcement about the start of the first episode of a dev diary leading up to a release of a DLC is not as exciting to the intended audience of the newsletter, which is the general playerbase that doesn't keep track of every statement of a FD dev, tweet, stream et cetera precisely because they don't care that much. What would be news is some pics or actual info. Maybe a little video clip even.

Announcements about impending announcements are exciting news to a very, very small subset of the gaming community.

My hope is that the dev diary goes live before MSFS 2020 downloads, otherwise I'm going to have a really hard decision to make.. It's going to be a close one!

Top Bottom