Looking for New HOTAS advice

Aaaand despite trimming the plastic back, that third t16k has started developing the yaw issue again. VKB are saying the Gladiator NXT isn't going to be on sale here 'til october/november.

I guess I'm going to have to find something else to use as a yaw axis in the meantime, which is gonna feel hella awkward to get used to.

You have more patience with Thrustmaster than me. After mine failed within a week, I was done with the T16000.

Looking at VKB's website, it seems they were flooded with orders as soon as they posted them and are just now starting to get them processed.

"GNX orders should start processing for shipping from Friday, Aug 28. Due to the large amount of GNX orders received, order processing will be have to be staggered and shipping will take place in batches over several business days before all GNX orders are shipped out. We ask you to be a little more patient until your order ships. "

Last edited:
I was wandering if our fantastic and knowledgable comunity would assist me on that 1. I was using a T1600m and throttle from thrustmaster for nearly 5 years now, super happy with it APPART of yaw axis on the stick which is a common issue with it. Every few days I have to dissasemble it otherwise I get ghost input from that axis.

So I am currently looking into few options and due to pandemic and all that stocks are very limited, so I have time to get some opinions.

Current options I am looking at are:

X52 pro for circa £150
X56 for £220
Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas for £350

Money is not an issue but don't like to overpay for garbage if lower priced options work same or better.

Any input is highly appreciated. Just to add, I have the game since 2015 i think and with 2 years brake(due to that stupid yaw issue with the stick) I am sitting at over 1000hrs and also playing flight sims from time to time so I am looking for something that will withstand some heavy dogfighting :)

o7

Edit: I read alot before posting and I am only looking for owners of those sticks opinions first hand so please if You are about to write something that I can find on google already, don't bother

Go twinsticks, so so so much better than a HOTAS for Elite! I've got a pair of VKB Kosmosima grips on gunfighters, gives you full 6dof with a stack of buttons available, an alternative would Virpil constellation alpha's

Looking at VKB's website, it seems they were flooded with orders as soon as they posted them and are just now starting to get them processed.

I ordered mine within minutes of the NXT going live on the web site, and my order shipped yesterday; DHL says I'll be receiving it on Wednesday. So I'd say the shipments really have started moving :).

Go twinsticks, so so so much better than a HOTAS for Elite! I've got a pair of VKB Kosmosima grips on gunfighters, gives you full 6dof with a stack of buttons available, an alternative would Virpil constellation alpha's

Or you can be like me and do both. I have two sticks and a throttle. Each has its good points for specific situations.

I ordered mine within minutes of the NXT going live on the web site, and my order shipped yesterday; DHL says I'll be receiving it on Wednesday. So I'd say the shipments really have started moving :).
... so what you're saying is that I'm better just biting the bullet and ordering than I am waiting for the "in stock" email to arrive?

I don't think you can place an order until they're in stock, unfortunately. Is your local reseller out of stock, then?
Unless I want to pay extra for the airlift version, yeah.

The real question is whether I want to do the premium one or nah. I'm not sure what I'd do with an extra analogue mini-stick (that seems to be swappable for a regular hat if I want to?) but hat switches are just extra buttons as far as I'm concerned. Hell, I could probably bind it to fighter orders or something and eliminate my last vestiges of keeping the keyboard on my desk for anything other than comms chatter.

Unless I want to pay extra for the airlift version, yeah.

... Australia, maybe? I realized after I typed my last that the EU had its own supply problems, so they probably allocated stock for each market.

The real question is whether I want to do the premium one or nah. I'm not sure what I'd do with an extra analogue mini-stick (that seems to be swappable for a regular hat if I want to?) but hat switches are just extra buttons as far as I'm concerned. Hell, I could probably bind it to fighter orders or something and eliminate my last vestiges of keeping the keyboard on my desk for anything other than comms chatter.

I did go for the Premium. In earlier models I think you used to also get the button, in case you wanted to switch; then the "rapid fire" trigger seems to count as two separate buttons on its own. I think the analogue mini-stick may work for me in SRV turret mode (I've never used bindings that let me drive and shoot from the turret at the same time).

... Australia, maybe? I realized after I typed my last that the EU had its own supply problems, so they probably allocated stock for each market.
UK. We both drive on the left and arguably speak the same language, so we're "close" if not geographically.

I did go for the Premium. In earlier models I think you used to also get the button, in case you wanted to switch; then the "rapid fire" trigger seems to count as two separate buttons on its own. I think the analogue mini-stick may work for me in SRV turret mode (I've never used bindings that let me drive and shoot from the turret at the same time).
Oh nice, I thought the rapid fire trigger would just pulse the output. Looking at the stick I wasn't sure how it worked, whether you're supposed to push away with your finger to activate the top trigger or what (which would be a neat bind for changing firegroups).

I have the SRV turret bound to the analogue mini-stick on my throttle that I normally use for lateral/vertical thrusters, giving me a sorta "right hand for controlling direction, left hand for controlling thrust" thing going on.

Oh nice, I thought the rapid fire trigger would just pulse the output. Looking at the stick I wasn't sure how it worked, whether you're supposed to push away with your finger to activate the top trigger or what (which would be a neat bind for changing firegroups).

This is just my interpretation of Something I Read On The Internet (I can't even recall where now; might have been Reddit, might have been the VKB Forum.) Hoping it's true, though.

I guess I'm going to have to find something else to use as a yaw axis in the meantime, which is gonna feel hella awkward to get used to.

Use it as an excuse to get pedals. I picked up a set of CH pedals from a charity shop but couldn't get on with them when I first tried. The yaw on my t16k started to go wrong so I had no choice but to use the pedals. Now I have got used to them I wouldn't go back.

Last edited:

+1 on the idea of getting pedals. I’ve got CH-pro pedals too, and it makes flying a very “full body” experience :)

My T16000 stick yaw died ages ago. For a while, I found using the paddles on the throttle a very acceptable yaw input, it sounds a bit odd, perhaps, but it feels quite natural very soon after binding it.

(one thing that gets me though - why don't I see any sticks where the curves can be programmed into the hardware so I don't have to run a virtual joystick?)
The VKB software will let you configure nigh on anything you can think of, included curves (permanent or on demand) and that is stored in the black box. No need to have any software running whatsoever when playing.

I have the SRV turret bound to the analogue mini-stick on my throttle that I normally use for lateral/vertical thrusters, giving me a sorta "right hand for controlling direction, left hand for controlling thrust" thing going on.
The "rapid fire" trigger is indeed 2 buttons. Push forward or pull back.
Again with the software you can even make it more buttons, like long press for function X and short press for function Y, your imagination is more or less the limiting factor (after some grueling hours deciphering the manual)

3 months later... hahaha

Virpil kit arrived today and to my surprise... after installing the software, calibrating and obviously re-binding EVERYTHING its working like a charm. coming off x56 stick, still using the throttle from logitech, it still feels like a major upgrade. anybody who does not mind the wait, seriously, it took it over 11 weeks to arrive from day of ordering, and who does not mind splashing out - GET IT.

thanks to all for invaluable input, big shout out to cmdr @Tejat for bringing Virpil to my attention. Now it's time to modify my desk cus that stick is seriously UP THERE :p

3 months later... hahaha

Virpil kit arrived today and to my surprise... after installing the software, calibrating and obviously re-binding EVERYTHING its working like a charm. coming off x56 stick, still using the throttle from logitech, it still feels like a major upgrade. anybody who does not mind the wait, seriously, it took it over 11 weeks to arrive from day of ordering, and who does not mind splashing out - GET IT.

thanks to all for invaluable input, big shout out to cmdr @Tejat for bringing Virpil to my attention. Now it's time to modify my desk cus that stick is seriously UP THERE :p

If I may ask, is it the VPC Constellation Alpha grip? I'm asking because I'm quite drawn to it, when my current X56 dies someday, I am tempted to buy that one.

My only gripe is the lack of twist, I don't want to buy pedals (I like having my floor "flat"), buit I don't mind using some other analog axis for rudder if necessary. My only other concern is compatibility, the X56 is pretty much plug-and-play in all games, how easily is your grip being accomodated in flight games?

If I may ask, is it the VPC Constellation Alpha grip? I'm asking because I'm quite drawn to it, when my current X56 dies someday, I am tempted to buy that one.

My only gripe is the lack of twist, I don't want to buy pedals (I like having my floor "flat"), buit I don't mind using some other analog axis for rudder if necessary. My only other concern is compatibility, the X56 is pretty much plug-and-play in all games, how easily is your grip being accomodated in flight games?

Constellation Alpha has a twist axis. I've not had any problem using my Alpha in most flight sims. Granted, most games don't have default settings for it but if you can manually set things, it works fine.

Constellation Alpha has a twist axis. I've not had any problem using my Alpha in most flight sims. Granted, most games don't have default settings for it but if you can manually set things, it works fine.

That's settled then :D Love that grip, all those hats and axis on the stick make me drool... I don't mind setting the controls myself, I isually do it anyway even with defaults.

Funny I had the idea Virpil sticks didn't have twist, maybe I'm confusing it with a different brand. edit: it was the warthog that doesn't have twist, but I prefer the Virpil Constellation anyway.

That's settled then :D Love that grip, all those hats and axis on the stick make me drool...

Funny I had the idea Virpil sticks didn't have twist, maybe I'm confusing it with a different brand. edit: it was the warthog that doesn't have twist, but I prefer the Virpil Constellation anyway.

Some Virpil sticks have a twist axis and others don't.

Top Bottom