What other games are we all playing?

With the people posting their trips in MSFS I am beginning to wonder if I should have a look at it. I could visit the Orkneys virtually. Iceland. Land on the Red Square. It seems to have sightseeing quality. A Hiking Simulator - but different.
Unfortunately...the scenery is broken in FS 2020 for the Orkneys. Really bad tiling effect. Bing maps for you :(

59tdkoH.png

With the people posting their trips in MSFS I am beginning to wonder if I should have a look at it. I could visit the Orkneys virtually. Iceland. Land on the Red Square. It seems to have sightseeing quality. A Hiking Simulator - but different.

Some areas look amazing but others are poor. I went flying nw of greenland to some glacial park and the scans were very poor. Antartica was also a mess with terrain malforming and growing as I flew through it. Even forming giant spires in real time I had to dodge with the plane.

It really is an amazing breathtaking experience till you hit disappointing areas with poor scans (Low level daytime flying). Early days, almost feels like it could be a beta.

Once you get altitude, the sun and moon, the lighting and clouds, the beautiful sky with every star accurate is something to behold. If you can get past some frustrations and bugs right now its great.

I was never a flight sim person but its pulling me in and turning me into one. I really want some kind of game layer. I heard rumors on reddit microsoft might even be developing its own economy module but I might try for fseconomy or even pony up for onair to take it to the next level.

I achieve this peaceful zen meditative state while playing. Utterly enamored with flying through clouds. The hum of the planes is amazingly soothing. Its a nice game to just zone out. I've been listening to synth era Rush during my flights. Bliss.

Some areas look amazing but others are poor. I went flying nw of greenland to some glacial park and the scans were very poor. Antartica was also a mess with terrain malforming and growing as I flew through it. Even forming giant spires in real time I had to dodge with the plane.

It really is an amazing breathtaking experience till you hit disappointing areas with poor scans (Low level daytime flying). Early days, almost feels like it could be a beta.

Once you get altitude, the sun and moon, the lighting and clouds, the beautiful sky with every star accurate is something to behold. If you can get past some frustrations and bugs right now its great.

I was never a flight sim person but its pulling me in and turning me into one. I really want some kind of game layer. I heard rumors on reddit microsoft might even be developing its own economy module but I might try for fseconomy or even pony up for onair to take it to the next level.

I achieve this peaceful zen meditative state while playing. Utterly enamored with flying through clouds. The hum of the planes is amazingly soothing. Its a nice game to just zone out. I've been listening so synth era Rush during my flights. Bliss.
I usually use combat sims. Last time I played civ sim was older MFS - learned to navigate by NDB and VOR and that. That was before real-time positioning became standard.

I usually use combat sims. Last time I played civ sim was older MFS - learned to navigate by NDB and VOR and that. That was before real-time positioning became standard.

I never wanted a hotas but this is the first game thats ever made me interested to try. If I ever make the jump I am very enamored with IL2 from an observer standpoint. I read too much stuff about how awkward it is with a controller and would love to jump in at some point eventually.

Last edited:
I'm really longing to develop the patience to deal with Control's map system...and the puzzles that constantly have me gently resting my head on the keyboard...I've not quite got to the rage quitting stage...but only through a force of sheer willpower :D

Meanwhile, I reinstalled Metro Exodus and I'm happily battering through that with the RTX on this time. I really love the intro music for Exodus...haven't skipped it once. If you hate spiders, don't play this game 😰

Last edited:
I'm really longing to develop the patience to deal with Control's map system...and the puzzles that constantly have me gently resting my head on the keyboard...I've not quite got to the rage quitting stage...but only through a force of sheer willpower :D
What problems do you have with the map?
It doesn't show the exact location of the objective, true, but I quite like this style of an overlay map where you can see where you're going in real time. I found it rather helpful.

Meanwhile, I reinstalled Metro Exodus and I'm happily battering through that with the RTX on this time. I really love the intro music for Exodus...haven't skipped it once. If you hate spiders, don't play this game 😰

Why wouldnt I play hating spiders? Is there no flamethrower? Flame us the answer to spiders.

Truth be told, I've always been sort of a seasonal ED player, though it isn't entirely unlikely that the next season will coincide with Odyssey.
@Linnunrata I am the same way. Elite is more of a winter game for me these days, when the days are short and the air is cold and the night sky is crisp and full of stars. This tends to put me in the mood to play a "dark" space-based game like Elite. Playing ED as the warm summer sun streams into the room and the birds are chirping, well, it just doesn't set the mood.

Now flying MSFS using real weather and time is a perfect match for any season*, especially if I'm flying close to home. If it's raining outside IRL, it should be raining in FS. If the sun is low in my IRL sky, this perfectly matches what I experience in my plane. The live weather (albeit somewhat broken at the moment) and live traffic really makes this sim extra enjoyable to me - as you know, I love my immersion!

(* except come autumn, when MSFS totally falls on its unfinished face)

Last edited:
Well I was planning to play Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning today but MS thought it a good idea to release a day 1 patch on day 2 for Xbox.

Well I was planning to play Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning today but MS thought it a good idea to release a day 1 patch on day 2 for Xbox.
Can't you play it without a day1 patch?
In any case, I think this was one of the reasons why we don't have crossplay in Elite - Microsoft's inability/unwillingness to coordinate update times.

I'm loving control for the Xfiles/sapphire and steel/ghostbusters the video game vibe I'm getting....I think I found Gordon Freemans crowbar in one area....but like you I'm hating that map, it's farking awful, nothying to do with map pointers etc, the inability to zoom in and select what sodding level of the building I'm currently on. Having all the levels there in one mess where if I'm on the lower level I can 't really see where I can go because the upper levels are in the way...in short I could crap a better map!!

Ironically the controls are doing my head in a bit as well.....I use (X) to activate things (don't get me started on that circle console stupidity!), and in most games you select weopons with the numbered keys....oh the genius behind this game decided that X will change the weapon...I've died loads of times purely because i have the wrong weapon. On top of that there's levitate...now starting it with jump makes perfect sense.....I wanted to go down fast....usually that's the crouch button or something.....noooooo the genius behind this games controls decided you go down by pressing jump again...what the frigging hell!!

Apart from that great game...:)

What problems do you have with the map?
It doesn't show the exact location of the objective, true, but I quite like this style of an overlay map where you can see where you're going in real time. I found it rather helpful.

It's really awful, Although like you say it moving in real time is good, but it really needs the ability to see a floor at a time and not all at once. I have to find some Dr Underhills lab and it's "somewhere under Central Research"...I mean that's so vague I've been all over the shop and can't find any signs to that lab. I realise it's a design choice but I think it goes TOO far to be obscure, I LOVE exploring in a game (I even do it in CODs), but in this it's a chore.

It's really awful, Although like you say it moving in real time is good, but it really needs the ability to see a floor at a time and not all at once. I have to find some Dr Underhills lab and it's "somewhere under Central Research"...I mean that's so vague I've been all over the shop and can't find any signs to that lab. I realise it's a design choice but I think it goes TOO far to be obscure, I LOVE exploring in a game (I even do it in CODs), but in this it's a chore.
Yes I agree that around hubs where there is a lot of stuff, the map can be overwhelming (Panopticon is another such place), but I also think they did it on purpose to force people into exploring and learning the place instead of "chasing mission markers"

(btw. if you're still trying to locate dr. Underhill - it's below Central Research. The only way to get UNDER the central research is a literal hole in the ground. :) It's in the corner opposite to the cafeteria and toilets at the bottom floor.)

Top Bottom