Interiors, why?

To be honest, I'm not as upset about ship interiors as a lot other people. I do understand that people want a place like a ship's cabin which they can customise with achievement, boarding actions or even repair EVAs. However, as we discover more about Odyssey, I'm beginning to understand where the dev effort has gone and my unpopular opinion is that, for the development time and team they've got, they've focused on what would get them the most amount of content for the time they've had.

PS
Another option would be NPC crew. They control your ship as long as you are not in the cockpit. As soon as you get attacked your pilot defends your ship until you got back to the cockpit.
This is true. Though I really think that there has to be a "cut off" between SVS (ship versus ship) and FPS game play. That's why I think the tether process (outlined above in my long post) should exist.

Once a ship is boarded, the only option for third parties should be to also board and engage in the FPS event - if they attack any tethered ship, it's the same as attacking all the ships and yes, that might interrupt the FPS event (force the aggressor to abandon and return to their ship, which they can do instantly, just for game play reasons) but this would result in a bounty for the ship attacking; obviously, murder players in PVP don't care about this and that's fine but why is this different to how it is now? And, to be realistic, in most piracy or bounty hunting scenarios (i.e. non PVP ones), this should all be happening after an interdiction and I don't see the difference between what happens now and what would happen with a boarding attack (but I've added tools to help make this more successful in my proposal above anyway).

Multicrew up to 4 is an obvious benefit in this FPS event (even if you just hire NPCs to help defend your ship or attack another ship, up to 3 additional crew).

This allows Fdev to properly balance FPS on ship combat events. As mental and fun as it might sound to have both SVS and FPS combat raging on, it'd be absolutely nuts to balance in these scenarios. Much better if FPS combat is isolated and controlled as part of this process.

Now, for boarding capital ships in CZs? That is a different event entirely ;)

Last edited:
PS
Another option would be NPC crew. They control your ship as long as you are not in the cockpit. As soon as you get attacked your pilot defends your ship until you got back to the cockpit.

I'd go with the simpler option that requires no extra work: if the ship is attacked while you're not at the helm, then tough cookies, just like if you'd went to the bathroom. It's up to the player to judge if/when he should leave the ship unattended or not.

Attacks aren't really that unpredictable anyway, so if you have active missions, or are in a populated system in supercruise with cargo onboard, or in open in one of the 3 or 4 places where at any given time the chance of encountering a hostile player is superior to 0,01%, simply don't leave the ship unattended, or drop to normal space first. If you're in the middle of nowhere exploring, or in normal space, or carrying no cargo or active missions, or landed at a planet, the chance of being attacked is far below miniscule.

I honestly see no issue at all with this.

Last edited:
I'd go with the simpler option that requires no extra work: if the ship is attacked while you're not the helm, then tough cookies, just like if you'd went to the bathroom. It's up to the player to judge if/when he should leave the ship unattended or not.

Attacks aren't really that unpredictable anyway, so if you have active mission, or in a populated system supercruise with cargo onboard, or in open in one of the 3 or 4 places where at any given time the chance of encountering a hostile player is superior to 0,01%, simply don't leave the ship unattended, or drop to normal space first. If you're in the middle of nowhere exploring, or in normal space, or carrying no cargo or active missions, or landed at a planet, the chance of being attacked is far below miniscule.

Yeh I think the scenario is really limited in terms of probability.

Even less so in anarchy systems.

Just a few questions respectfully to you people.

Why exactly do you want to walk around in your ships? In what way will it make everything better? Why wouldn’t you rather have new ships to pilot than have huge amounts of work sunk into making Doom Eternal level sized ship interiors?

Because, yeah it is a gigantic amount of work. I modelled a few military vehicles for work and it was a very long process. The longest I did took 6 months, it was a tank. It’s smaller than most cockpits in Elite.

Seriously just walking around will captivate your attention for a month and then you’ll stay glued to your seat like before, that’s my prediction because Ifail to see what it adds aside from a few wow moments.

geez I guess it’s more than a few questions but what the hell...
After 2hrs, some screencaps, 99% of CMDRs will basically never use the feature again. A load of development effort, and a rod for FD's back going forward with future development, for a tiny niche short term interest.

I welcome you to Multicrew V2...

After 2hrs, some screencaps, 99% of CMDRs will basically never use the feature again. A load of development effort, and a rod for FD's back going forward with future development, for a tiny niche short term interest.

that multicrew does not work well ,is it fault of the players? 😂 😂

If no one uses multicrew it is because it is a botch, frontier's fault, not ours.

that multicrew does not work well ,is it fault of the players? 😂 😂

If no one uses multicrew it is because it is a botch, frontier's fault, not ours.
The reason Multicrew is a failure is because there's only just about enough for one CMDR to do in their ship, let alone splitting roles up.

When Multicrew was announce many CMDRs immediately started asking (FD), what gameplay depth is there in specific roles to mean there's enough engagement and interest for Multicrew? And when it was finally released, these concerned were shown to be founded.

Now we hear we can walk around stations, and of course many CMDRs wish to walk around ships. I'd argue the same question(s) stand. After a couple of hours of novely... Then what?

ps: And even when given the opportunity to expand Multicrew, FD designers fail! ie: Why didn't they allow the new FSS to be used by a Multicrew member, while the CMDR could still fly the ship and do other things? FD basically just seem to struggle to design joined up/layered mechanics + struggle to balance ED!

Definitely. Unless, as suggested earlier, fdev add fps (and other) game play to interiors.

If done right, it'd even enhance multicrew by giving it more purpose (up to 4x for a boarding/defending party).

But you also raise valid concerns (ie do fdev ever do it right?)

Definitely. Unless, as suggested earlier, fdev add fps (and other) game play to interiors.

If done right, it'd even enhance multicrew by giving it more purpose (up to 4x for a boarding/defending party).

But you also raise valid concerns (ie do fdev ever do it right?)
...engaging joined up gameplay mechanics for space legs might indeed be nice. But with the past 4-5yrs (IMHO) seeing little engaging joined up gameplay mechanics for the core game, I'd suggest I'd be keen to see some truly bar raising solid progress made for the core game, before opening up on a whole new Eastern Front, risking yet another place for FD to struggle with mechanics and balance.

...engaging joined up gameplay mechanics for space legs might indeed be nice. But with the past 4-5yrs (IMHO) seeing little engaging joined up gameplay mechanics for the core game, I'd suggest I'd be keen to see some truly bar raising solid progress made for the core game, before opening up on a whole new Eastern Front, risking yet another place for FD to struggle with mechanics and balance.
Chances are ship interiors aren't coming even as part of Odyssey. It'd need an entire expansion drive to warrant it.

Can't hurt to throw out ideas though. Odyssey is the literal first step to making all future first person on foot game play possible.

Im very much looking forward to an exteriors why thread.

We had "exteriors why" threads for years, they were called "space legs why". But the underlying thread is, and will be always the same:

Before:
Space legs why? "There's no gameplay for it" / "too much work" / "time better spent elsewhere" / "it will be just a novelty feature".

Now:
Ship Interiors why? "There's no gameplay for it" / "too much work" / "time better spent elsewhere" / "it will be just a novelty feature".

Afterwards:
Atmospheric planets why? "There's no gameplay for it" / "too much work" / "time better spent elsewhere" / "it will be just a novelty feature".

In general:
Elsewhere why? "There's no gameplay for it" / "too much work" / "time better spent in a different elsewhere" / "it will be just a novelty feature".

Just a few questions respectfully to you people.

Why exactly do you want to walk around in your ships? In what way will it make everything better? Why wouldn’t you rather have new ships to pilot than have huge amounts of work sunk into making Doom Eternal level sized ship interiors?

Because, yeah it is a gigantic amount of work. I modelled a few military vehicles for work and it was a very long process. The longest I did took 6 months, it was a tank. It’s smaller than most cockpits in Elite.

Seriously just walking around will captivate your attention for a month and then you’ll stay glued to your seat like before, that’s my prediction because Ifail to see what it adds aside from a few wow moments.

geez I guess it’s more than a few questions but what the hell...

i spent 5 minutes interacting with Thargoids, and haven't visited them since, does that make them pointless?

i also visited void hearts for even less time, are those pointless too?

i dont participate in trading either, so i guess lets delete that aswell.

you know some CMDRs never use their SRVs, others circumnavigate planets, just because you cant find a use for Ship interiors doesnt mean the rest of us will not get thousands of hours of fun out of it, if we have to explain it you will never understand, someone can explain all they like about trading to me, but jeysus, that stuff is lame and i will never be interested in shifting crap from location to the next.

horses for courses.

and lets be honest where are they going to spend their new found time? wasting it creating communal space station interiors noone wants... did multicrew teach them nothing?

ship interiors will add hours and hours of possibilities for me and thousands of other CMDRs, just not you it would appear.

Last edited:
I'd go with the simpler option that requires no extra work: if the ship is attacked while you're not at the helm, then tough cookies, just like if you'd went to the bathroom. It's up to the player to judge if/when he should leave the ship unattended or not.

Attacks aren't really that unpredictable anyway, so if you have active missions, or are in a populated system in supercruise with cargo onboard, or in open in one of the 3 or 4 places where at any given time the chance of encountering a hostile player is superior to 0,01%, simply don't leave the ship unattended, or drop to normal space first. If you're in the middle of nowhere exploring, or in normal space, or carrying no cargo or active missions, or landed at a planet, the chance of being attacked is far below miniscule.

I don't see an issue with this either. I would like to have NPC crew though... ;)

Who remembers JTL? That. The ability to goof around inside your ship, with other people.

Plus, the ability to snap back into the cockpit with a single button. That seems pretty key to me.

So the first few times you do it, you can walk around manually. Then as it loses lustre, you use a radial menu to quickly snap around. Plus, cheap EVA repairs that cost time instead of AFMU.

Can I have lotto numbers for this Saturday please? You seem to know the future and are able to read minds...
It's called an 'opinion', based on my experience of the past 4-5yrs of development from FD. I really would have thought you'd have encountered them before on the forum by now?

Here, if you're still struggling with the concept:-

noun: opinion; plural noun: opinio
  1. a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.​
    "that, in my opinion, is right"​

ship interiors will add hours and hours of possibilities for me and thousands of other CMDRs, just not you it would appear.
Understood, but the risk is with these new areas of the game - if we park the FPS aspects - is walking around ships and stations risks being a possibly very large development effort not only initially, but then going forwards too (ie: future developments may need to cater for it too). And if the risk is, like the misjudged Multicrew, these new developments prove of little interest/purpose/engagement to the vast majority of the community, are they a wise way to invest that development time.

Maybe I'm wrong, and walking around ships, and walking around stations, will not be a two hour novelty for the majority of the community. Maybe it's something you'll do regularly. And/or, maybe it's not a significant amount of development time, and it's only taking a small amount. Who knows at the moment... But put me down on the concerned list for these sort of developments! I think they risk being done because they sound sexy on paper/adverts... Just like Multicrew did.

Top Bottom