The "Zoo Pack"

Had an interesting thought for a potential DLC that could include some highly-requested animals as well as highly-requested props and scenery; "The Zoo Pack".

The idea would be to build a DLC around common "zoo" features outside of a major theme. The animals I was thinking of, if we are restricted to four (plus an exhibit), were:

- Southern white rhinoceros.
- Meerkat.
- Asian small-clawed otter.
- American alligator.
- Burmese python (E).

The otter was a difficult choice to include, because of the lack of underwater navigation mechanics, but I've sort of reached the point now where I'd be happy to have an otter even without that just to cover all the necessary bases. The first two choices should be obvious - meerkats and African rhinos are staples of most zoo collections, and the white rhino in particular is more common than the black in captivity (though the black is more endangered, the theme of this pack is 'common in zoos'). The alligator is the only one sort of out of left field, but I seem to see American alligators in nearly every zoo or aquarium I go to these days, so that's more of an anecdotal choice than a well-researched one.

Some will also point out that the Burmese python can grow to considerably large sizes, but so can the yellow anaconda, so I think the current exhibit model should be okay for it.

In terms of building sets, I was thinking of a chain-link mesh building set (including curved roof pieces) and an iron bar building set. Both of these would alllow us to build convincing backstage areas as well as mesh-roofed habitats for climbing animals as many zoos do. Such a method of display is being generally phased out, of course, but it is still widely present and so I don't think it would hurt to allow such a feature.

Props would include all the random bits and bobs you'd find in zoos. We'd see piles of hay, soil, sand, and gravel, wheelbarrows, ladders, brooms/shovels/rakes, shelving units, buckets, hoses, and all of that other miscellaneous stuff. I'd also like to include here the idea of the 'animal door' that comes up quite often, even if it isn't functional - just a prop would be nice for those backstage areas. This pack could also include parking spots, entrance/exit signs, "Staff Only" signs (I know we can make these with the editable signs, but even so), and more variety for education/conservation boards (preferably low-budget non-powered ones). We could also see some interactive props like animal height comparison charts, animal soundboards, playground equipment, and so on.

Finally I'd also like to include some new biome paints - asphalt, concrete, and gravel. The former two would be great for backstage/holding areas, and for building carparks and the like without needing to use ten thousand pieces, while the latter would be a nice way to make the edges of the gravel path less 'perfect'.

In terms of foliage, I'd like to see some more broken trees, more varieties of logs, and probably some more common garden plants like small shrubs or tussock grasses.

I think such a pack would be a great way to cover a lot of what is frequently asked for. We'd have those iconic zoo animals, as well as those iconic zoo props and features that are currently lacking.

Had an interesting thought for a potential DLC that could include some highly-requested animals as well as highly-requested props and scenery; "The Zoo Pack".

The idea would be to build a DLC around common "zoo" features outside of a major theme. The animals I was thinking of, if we are restricted to four (plus an exhibit), were:

• Southern white rhinoceros.
  • Meerkat.
  • Asian small-clawed otter.
  • American alligator.
  • Burmese python (E).

The otter was a difficult choice to include, because of the lack of underwater navigation mechanics, but I've sort of reached the point now where I'd be happy to have an otter even without that just to cover all the necessary bases. The first two choices should be obvious - meerkats and African rhinos are staples of most zoo collections, and the white rhino in particular is more common than the black in captivity (though the black is more endangered, the theme of this pack is 'common in zoos'). The alligator is the only one sort of out of left field, but I seem to see American alligators in nearly every zoo or aquarium I go to these days, so that's more of an anecdotal choice than a well-researched one.

Some will also point out that the Burmese python can grow to considerably large sizes, but so can the yellow anaconda, so I think the current exhibit model should be okay for it.

In terms of building sets, I was thinking of a chain-link mesh building set (including curved roof pieces) and an iron bar building set. Both of these would alllow us to build convincing backstage areas as well as mesh-roofed habitats for climbing animals as many zoos do. Such a method of display is being generally phased out, of course, but it is still widely present and so I don't think it would hurt to allow such a feature.

Props would include all the random bits and bobs you'd find in zoos. We'd see piles of hay, soil, sand, and gravel, wheelbarrows, ladders, brooms/shovels/rakes, shelving units, buckets, hoses, and all of that other miscellaneous stuff. I'd also like to include here the idea of the 'animal door' that comes up quite often, even if it isn't functional - just a prop would be nice for those backstage areas. This pack could also include parking spots, entrance/exit signs, "Staff Only" signs (I know we can make these with the editable signs, but even so), and more variety for education/conservation boards (preferably low-budget non-powered ones). We could also see some interactive props like animal height comparison charts, animal soundboards, playground equipment, and so on.

Finally I'd also like to include some new biome paints - asphalt, concrete, and gravel. The former two would be great for backstage/holding areas, and for building carparks and the like without needing to use ten thousand pieces, while the latter would be a nice way to make the edges of the gravel path less 'perfect'.

In terms of foliage, I'd like to see some more broken trees, more varieties of logs, and probably some more common garden plants like small shrubs or tussock grasses.

I think such a pack would be a great way to cover a lot of what is frequently asked for. We'd have those iconic zoo animals, as well as those iconic zoo props and features that are currently lacking.
Yes, please!

That's a pretty good idea that's a bit different than just one area of the world. Take some species from all over the world that are popular features in zoos. I personally think they'll stick to regions for a while, but I'd definitely buy a pack like this.

I don't know about a null path, but the guest-stopper (barrier ribbon) and viewpoint-marker (vista point) were both features from PlanCo that are highly-requested in zoo, so regardless of this idea I expect we'll see them eventually.

While I don't object to this in any way - I don't think it would be a wise decision to add too many features from Planet Coaster in Planet Zoo.
People from PC would be asking for PZ stuff because they opened the door to "shared content" between their 2 games.
I like how PC and PZ are different but I can see the benefits from adding such stuff for PZ.

... I personally think they'll stick to regions for a while, but I'd definitely buy a pack like this.

Hmmm,... maybe, but I think that, now the main continents are all represented (other than Antarctica) we're more likely to get something a bit different (although it HAS to include seriously iconic animals!) - maybe biome based (desert most likely although since the last DLC was Australia i'm guessing not this), maybe conservation based (endangered species, but i don't really think it'll be this one either), maybe new mechanics / animal group (e.g., aviaries / birds -... maybe, but i suspect not).... or maybe a mix .... Antarctic, (combines the last remaining continent with conservation (global warming message), mechanics (diving), iconic species (penguins) - Overall, perfect for a one-year anniversary pack. (after that, i think regional packs'll be done).

Hmmm,... maybe, but I think that, now the main continents are all represented (other than Antarctica) we're more likely to get something a bit different (although it HAS to include seriously iconic animals!) - maybe biome based (desert most likely although since the last DLC was Australia i'm guessing not this), maybe conservation based (endangered species, but i don't really think it'll be this one either), maybe new mechanics / animal group (e.g., aviaries / birds -... maybe, but i suspect not).... or maybe a mix .... Antarctic, (combines the last remaining continent with conservation (global warming message), mechanics (diving), iconic species (penguins) - Overall, perfect for a one-year anniversary pack. (after that, i think regional packs'll be done).

That's also possible for sure. I guess we'll see with the next pack, if it's Antarctica or something else. And they technically did kind of do a biome with the arctic pack. though you could call it regional as well, ha. Either way of doing it, I'm going to be happy with it. Hopefully we'll see around December give or take a month, what the next pack is.

• Meerkat.
  • American alligator.
  • Burmese python (E).

Love the idea of a pack that focuses on scenery, all of your suggestions are largely welcomed. As far as the animals, both the Southern White Rhinoceros and Meerkat are almost garanteed to be released with an African Continent DLC (I see no reason why they will stop the current DLC theme and continue with their journey around the world) The Asian Small Clawed Otter, would need the aquatic mechanics in order to not be another Orangutan (an animal that should have never been release, since current behavior is not comparable with orangutans, and just an adjusted Gorilla with not even orange hair, just a coat) The otters would more than likely be released other animals that need this type of mechanics, when a free aquatic update is released. North America will likely get their own DLC and American Alligators would be a staple of that release.

The prop scenery you suggested like broken trees, branches, etc is GREATLY NEEDED, absolutely love your suggestion of additional grasses, since the ones released with the Australian DLC were beautifully executed, deer grass (often used in Zoo visitor areas) would really do the trick. I would buy this DLC even without a single animal, you have my vote.

Id like to see a 'Big Cats' pack personally.

-Leopard
-Lynx
-Cougar
-Sumatran Tiger (Im a little bias here)
-Ocelot or Serval?

I think that while a pack like this might not take place, all of the species you mention here will eventually join the roster. A Leopard sub species will surely join us, probably more than one, since the Clouded Leopard has to be in this game. An Iberian Lynx has already been rumored for quite sometime, is probably already sitting in Frontier's memory drive waiting for the right moment to appear. A Cougar/Puma/Mountain Lion/Florida Panther is a dead giveaway with any DLC highlighting North America. While I would love a Sumatran Tiger, not completely sure that it would/should take another species slot when we already have two tigers in the game. An Ocelot could make its way with a DLC that explores Central America, there is a tag in the game for it, and it would allow for the Howler Monkey to finally join (another beauty probably sitting in Frontier's desk) A Serval is my opinion the only one you mentioned that while it would be amazing to have them, we might have to wait until/if an all animal species DLC is released, there are just too many African animals that will take precedent.

I think that while a pack like this might not take place, all of the species you mention here will eventually join the roster. A Leopard sub species will surely join us, probably more than one, since the Clouded Leopard has to be in this game. An Iberian Lynx has already been rumored for quite sometime, is probably already sitting in Frontier's memory drive waiting for the right moment to appear. A Cougar/Puma/Mountain Lion/Florida Panther is a dead giveaway with any DLC highlighting North America. While I would love a Sumatran Tiger, not completely sure that it would/should take another species slot when we already have two tigers in the game. An Ocelot could make its way with a DLC that explores Central America, there is a tag in the game for it, and it would allow for the Howler Monkey to finally join (another beauty probably sitting in Frontier's desk) A Serval is my opinion the only one you mentioned that while it would be amazing to have them, we might have to wait until/if an all animal species DLC is released, there are just too many African animals that will take precedent.

There's a tag for ocelot? I may have to find a way to go through the tags. I wonder what other animals are tagged we don't have.

Nope, no Ocelot tag, I meant there is a tag for Central America in the game, and there is also mention of the Howler Monkey in the game files as well as a silhouette sign for it. My deduction is that Central America will likely be a region explored in a DLC, and an Ocelot could very well make the cut there, as we already have a Jaguar, and a Puma would be a better fit in an North American DLC that maybe focuses on the wildlife of northern Mexico, the U.S and Canada.

If they included Central America in a North American continent DLC (since it is part of it) it would really not make much sense, since from a Zoo perspective, wildlife from tropical Central America is never showcased alongside their Northern American counterparts. There would simply be too much ground to cover, and it would not fit any particular theme.

• Meerkat.
  • American alligator.
  • Burmese python (E).

Really interesting idea, I would totally buy that. (Okay, I'd buy anything with Meerkats regardless.) A nice way to introduce some of the typical zoo animals that wouldn't necessarily fit into another themed DLC, and it would probably sell better than a "props only" DLC without animals.

I would trade the White Rhinoceros for Binturong as there is already 2 rhino species in the game . I don't mind the idea of the Alligator, however if it was to introduce common species in zoos for an anniversary pack I would like to see it traded for something like the emu or Malayan tapir.

I would trade the White Rhinoceros for Binturong as there is already 2 rhino species in the game . I don't mind the idea of the Alligator, however if it was to introduce common species in zoos for an anniversary pack I would like to see it traded for something like the emu or Malayan tapir.

There is only one rhino species in the game, and neither the binturong or the Malayan tapir are especially common in zoos.

Top Bottom