Open letter!!!

The term is used as it's a quick, easy and well established way to summarise a common player type:
  • thinks all PvPers are 'griefers' and members of SDC
  • looks down on competitive or aggressive playstyles because they are too intelligent and socially advanced for that caveman stuff..
  • everyone else should be beholden to their moral code
  • is prone to armchair psychology
  • thinks cheating is ok when they get attacked by a player without consent
  • likes to taunt gankers from solo in system chat
  • makes sure any pro PvP idea or suggestion on the forums is shouted down, using adhominems if the poster is argumentative
LOL, they taunt you from Solo mode? This is awesome.

It is funny, the name calling, since humans learned to talk I imagine they have labelled 'the others' with some term or other.

It does get wild though, as stated above somewhere, anyone playing in open or solo tends to get assigned the traits of all. Obviously, there are good bad and indifferent in each group.

There was a time on The Twitter during a referendum that I was quite vocal about things, the two sides were assigned traits. One was seen as thinking that they thought they were smarter than everyone else, and those people proved it by calling the other side, thick, who (in some cases) went on to prove it by misspelling 'Metropolitan Elite'.

I don't now where I'm going with this.

[insert image of old man who walked into a room and forgot why he went in there]

High five!

chf1.jpg

This not locked yet?
The modus operandi of the mods here is beyond me sometimes.
(oh sorry plz don't report me now for violating the rules)

This thread is spam right?

Those were good times compared to now.

I was quite good on The Twitter, gathered quite the following. I know people always say it was better when they first joined but it really became a cess pit.

It reminded me of a giant chicken shed, filled with chickens. all of them squawking at once, none of them listening to any of the others.

I had to leave it. One of the great things about the internet is, it gives everyone a voice. One of the worst things about the internet is, it gives everyone a voice.

Unlike "griefer" and "ganker" which do actually describe the behaviour of those people accurately, carebear does not......it's purely an insult. A childish one at that, hence my IQ remark.

yawn ...
let me support that iq a little bit: both "griefer" and "ganker" are thrown around here as an insult more often than not, most of the time not even correctly. like with all other words, it's all about context.

about being childish ... yep, full grown adults throwing tantrums because some pixel ship blew up.

Not sure if there is a name that could possibly encompass the differeing playstyles that all think deliberatly spoiling someone elses fun is not a good thing to support in any way. How about "fair players"?

hot air? hollow narcissism?

yawn ...
let me support that iq a little bit: both "griefer" and "ganker" are thrown around here as an insult more often than not, most of the time not even correctly. like with all other words, it's all about context.

about being childish ... yep, full grown adults throwing tantrums because some pixel ship blew up.

hot air? hollow narcissism?

Hehe....I guess what I said hit home a little hard for you? Oh look I'd better help you get those toys back in your pram.

I dunno about banning them from the forum. For me at least when someone uses the term it tells me that person is generally not worth listening to. Same as someone who takes pride in calling themselves a ganker.

Normally its quite rare to find someone so willing to inform the internet that they're tragic.

Well the ones who take pride in it and enjoy the salt tend to have connections to that "epeen" word Rubbernuke mentioned.

Hehe....I guess what I said hit home a little hard for you?

why do you think that? because i pointed out a post reeking of perceived superiority and calling other people dumb while waving around some wrong assumptions about words? business as usual on the internet.

ganking and griefing are specific behaviors well known in the multiplayer gaming context. while there is sometimes difficulty to qualify some behavior as such, the meaning is still clear, and games usually set specific terms on that interpretation. in elite killing a player in the open world isn't ganking nor griefing per-se. most discussions around this are about actions that are unclear or definitely aren't ganking nor griefing.

"carebear" usually depicts extremely risk avoiding players which dislike any form of gameplay involving direct conflict with other players (participating in conflict from e.g. the safety of pg/solo is well accepted indeed). although the term is merely descriptive, it may be intended as an insult. which is indeed cheap, unimaginative and kind of nonsensical. however often people fitting this description are very vocal while being generally unable to accept valid gameplay as per the game rules, and making a fuss about ganking or griefing when it isn't. in that case "carebear" has the added signalling that the nonsense (of campaigning carebearism in a game/mode/context that doesn't endorse carebearing) isn't being bought. still not an insult but a pretty apt and meaningful colloquial shorthand description. in that case people are not describing you simply as a carebear, but a clueless or irrational carebear ... and come to think of it it's still a quite polite way to put it.

hope all this isn't to much for you, just hang on :)

Oh look I'd better help you get those toys back in your pram.

thank you! please please please fetch me that rubber iq ball, i'd like to chew on it!

Top Bottom