Ships Railgun advice...

I'm a little bored with the MC's on my Viper4 and would like to try out a pair of class 2 rails...

Right now i'm liking the look of the short range blaster mod to really pump up the damage, I have G5 dd's on the viper so she isn't as sluggish as normal and I have two thermal vent beams for cooling off the rails.

The short range blaster mod ramps up the thermal load by up to 40% but this can potentially be offset with either plasma slug or super penetrator mods...

This is for pve.

Any advice would be welcome guys. Not spent much time with rails.

Thwarptide

Banned
I'm a little bored with the MC's on my Viper4 and would like to try out a pair of class 2 rails...

Right now i'm liking the look of the short range blaster mod to really pump up the damage, I have G5 dd's on the viper so she isn't as sluggish as normal and I have two thermal vent beams for cooling off the rails.

The short range blaster mod ramps up the thermal load by up to 40% but this can potentially be offset with either plasma slug or super penetrator mods...

This is for pve.

MY OPINION.... if you want short range hull shredding with less heat concerns, then consider frag cannons. On your viper you'd be the scourge of the battle field.
They're Real babe magnets too. (where did you go get those lovely frag cannons?) 🤪😁

MY OPINION.... if you want short range hull shredding with less heat concerns, then consider frag cannons. On your viper you'd be the scourge of the battle field.
They're Real babe magnets too. (where did you go get those lovely frag cannons?) 🤪😁
Hmmm, that's rather tempting, I've run double shot frags on a V3 before with good success.

This is for pve.

If you've never used rails before I would build your viper like this.

Then put all your weapons in the same fire group. Doing this will make the beams act like a laser pointer to help you aim the rails.

I have tended to view rails as a quintessential sniping weapon.

Which is why on my blockade runner Dolphin I've paired an A rated long range sensor suite with long range rails, one feedback cascade the other super penetrator.

With this I can resolve targets out to 11Km and engage with 100% damage at 6Km.

Interesting. And the additional heat of the laser is not a problem? That's why I never would have thought of...
That said, super penetrator seems quite popular. Is this already some sort of meta choice? Furthermore, doesn't long range from the rails not limit the use of these lasers with their range of just 3km?
Those are thermal vent beams. As long as you hit, you lower your heat.
This is the way ;)

edit: super pen is somewhat meta, complimented by one or more feedback rails, at least in PvP, in PvE I tend to use only feedback rails to counter banking.
The beams can be used as laserpointers even if they don't hit (do additional heat and no damage though)

Hmm... This has given me ideas, thoughts more than welcome.

So, I'm beginning to think it's time for me to take off the training wheels and drop my excessive reliance on gimbals,thinking about, on a Krait II, 2 L long range/thermal vent beams, 1 L OC/Corrosive MC (for hull softening, obv.) and 2xM LR/plasma slug rails.

Thoughts?

Thermal vent efficient beams and slug rails is such a fun build. Set up right, you can keep firing the rails over and over again and only need a short break after about 6 shots (like 2s wait) before continuing.

They're higher skilled (particularly versus small ships and I'd add the laser pointer build above would be really hard to use vs small ships, so I'd recommend gimble and practice rails a lot) but so satisfying when you "get it".

I'd use it all the time if not for frags.

Top Bottom