Looking for New HOTAS advice

If I may ask, is it the VPC Constellation Alpha grip? I'm asking because I'm quite drawn to it, when my current X56 dies someday, I am tempted to buy that one.

My only gripe is the lack of twist, I don't want to buy pedals (I like having my floor "flat"), buit I don't mind using some other analog axis for rudder if necessary. My only other concern is compatibility, the X56 is pretty much plug-and-play in all games, how easily is your grip being accomodated in flight games?

As @Lyvan Kitaen rightly said, Constellation Alpha has twist axis, thats exactly why I got it as well, I got rudder pedals but I never really got used to them.
As per Compatibility, as mentioned before, after installing the VPC software I was prompted to update the Firmware, than I calibrated all the axis, confirmed all buttons are been detected, set up LED color (crucial step that lol :) ) I jumped into ED, spent about 2 hours setting all my binds from scratch and I was very happy that I had no conflicts with X56 throttle. After reading Your post I fired up following titles:
MS Flight Simulator X
X-Plane 11
Prepar3d v4
DCS
I checked only in settings and confirmed that all see my stick along with throttle no problem, with some axis already assigned in games, so I would say Virpil is pretty much plug-n-play as well (obviously after installing and calibrating within the VPC software).

Small disclaimer, I have all my sim gear hooked up to dedicated powered USB 3.0 hub. I am not sure if it's all as rosy when hooked up to MOBO usb. Also, I've heard that not all 3.0 hubs can power x56 throttle. Here is the 1 I use with no issues.

So far I am loving the cr4p out of it apart from how tall it is, but I will tackle that when I will cut my desk to pieces ;)

Hope that helps m8.

Ok, I didn't really want to publish it yet, but since it (now 🤷‍♂️) seems to run stable: if you don't know what to do with the flip triggers of your Constellation Alpha(s - yep, got two 😁, and the flat cams) and want to use them for e.g. switching between Combat and Analysis mode or for deploying hardpoints, here's a small AHK (AutoHotKey) script that may be helpful: https://github.com/markus-i/AHK-EDToggle.
Only downside: they flip up really easily, so make sure you keep your fingers on the triggers in combat.

Edit:
Ooops - and in case you're unfamiliar with that kind of stuff: you'll also need to adapt the script to access your user directory and use whatever key you want to have assigned to the cockpit mode and weapons deployment toggles.

Last edited:
Glad you like it OP, which base did you buy with it or does it attach to the X56 base?. To other X56 owners rather than post a new thread does the slider switch on the throttle actually do anything?.

Ok, I didn't really want to publish it yet, but since it (now 🤷‍♂️) seems to run stable: if you don't know what to do with the flip triggers of your Constellation Alpha(s - yep, got two 😁, and the flat cams) and want to use them for e.g. switching between Combat and Analysis mode or for deploying hardpoints, here's a small AHK (AutoHotKey) script that may be helpful: https://github.com/markus-i/AHK-EDToggle.
Only downside: they flip up really easily, so make sure you keep your fingers on the triggers in combat.

Edit:
Ooops - and in case you're unfamiliar with that kind of stuff: you'll also need to adapt the script to access your user directory and use whatever key you want to have assigned to the cockpit mode and weapons deployment toggles.
hmm looks like a nice piece of work, don't want to spoil it for You BUT if You change the behaviour of the Button 1 from normal to Switch, it will actually work exactly the way You want, i.e when flip trigger is up mode is switched to combat, than when you retract it to down position it switches to analysis mode.

Edit:
NVM I see what You mean now.

It looks like their software is 1st class, it allows You to change how all the buttons behave, and looks like ED does recognise new behaviours set in that software.
Have a look, I will dive into it 2moro, cus something tells me thanks to that there is waaaaaaaay more to squeeze out of that kit.

Last edited:
Glad you like it OP, which base did you buy with it or does it attach to the X56 base?. To other X56 owners rather than post a new thread does the slider switch on the throttle actually do anything?.
As I dive into the possibilities that their software offers, I am truly amazed by this kit, yes. I have it on WarBRD base, unfortunately the stick will not sit on X56 base, the connectors are completely different.

Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I will share with You what I am currently working on.

This is my current setup:

BckeXCX.jpg

I decided that since I spent £200 on my X56, I want to utilise it rather than have it sit do nothing, so I will use it for srv controls when in turret mode :) its quite surprising for me how comfy it is to use the x56 stick in left hand even though its right hand oriented, having it at an angle mitigates it.
Also, as You can see, the virpil stick and throttle are rather high to reach and prevent my arms from resting but rather constantly staying up which is problematic. So I am making myself a detachable frame (that wooden bit attached with clamps at the front is the base) with HUB built in, smaller keyboard, throttle and virpil stick (logitech is fine permanently on the desk) and tablet and mobile phone stand so it is central. The frame is currently curing so I am unable to throw any snaps, but should be ready for assembly tomorrow so I will post something.

I already have both sticks and throttle connected, all detected without issue, just have to rebind some srv controls and will play some to confirm if there are no conflicts and power from the HUB is sufficient to prevent any ghost inputs.

Mission accomplished! :)

kObY43k.jpg

Bracket made of steel flat bars and steel
m7sjKrc.jpg

Due to not enough space for original WarBRD base, I replaced it with narrower piece of Plexiglas, in the middle I have raised another piece, to left X56 throttle.
kfwftLq.jpg

Under raised piece of plexi sits USB hub and most important piece of the setup - LED strip hahahahha :) and all cables tucked underneath, wireless logitech keyboard with mouse pad, wife's old (and cracked :p) Amazon fire. Throttle, stick, keyboard, Fire and the USB hub are all attached with velcro's in case I need to remove any of it for whatever reason.

maybe it's not supper straight on all angles, cuts are not as pretty as they would be made by a pro, BUT the RGBs are working ;-) and seriously, works like a dream. imagine all this kit on the desk and I also play other games so moving it all the time was a major pain. this made it all nice and neat and compact.

o7

Haven't really been interested in a HOTAS setup, but I just ordered one of these...
farm-side-panel-gallery-1.png
Hoping it will work in combo with my Extreme 3D Pro
So, evaluation, yes, it works in tandem with my joystick, lots of buttons to hang binds off of, I set the thruster controls up to work on the little joystick.

Downside, it sticks out really far from the desk and needs several cm to be attached to the desk.

I like it since it allows me to separate combat/other functions, but I leave it dismounted if I am not planning a long session of mostly flying.

Edit
Overseen how old the thread is. Funny, you got what I proposed.. congratulations :giggle:

Would not recommend the warthog throttle. The layout is uncomfortable and it has very limited binding options. I had it and sent it back.

X56 is lottery, if you get one, buy the black edition, it has less issues than the blue one. But it still depends a bit on luck if it will function normally. Also had the black edition and the twist was faulty, my ship always drifted to one side and I could only correct it with a huge deadzone, what made the controls feel strange. The X56 thrust on the other hand was great. Alot possible bindings and good layout.

Maybe you should mix it, X56 thrust from ebay and a different joystick.

Of course, if you do not want to spend 800,-€ for virpil.

Edit
Overseen how old the thread is. Funny, you got what I proposed.. congratulations :giggle:

Would not recommend the warthog throttle. The layout is uncomfortable and it has very limited binding options. I had it and sent it back.

X56 is lottery, if you get one, buy the black edition, it has less issues than the blue one. But it still depends a bit on luck if it will function normally. Also had the black edition and the twist was faulty, my ship always drifted to one side and I could only correct it with a huge deadzone, what made the controls feel strange. The X56 thrust on the other hand was great. Alot possible bindings and good layout.

Maybe you should mix it, X56 thrust from ebay and a different joystick.

Of course, if you do not want to spend 800,-€ for virpil.

I don't know why Logitech doesn't offer the X56 joysticks and throttles separately for those who just want one or the other. Pretty much every other company does. I probably would have bought just the joystick back when my old Cyborg EVO died. I already had a Virpil throttle at that point and couldn't see spending the extra money for a throttle I wouldn't use. Looking back, it's probably a good thing I didn't buy one considering all I've heard about them since.

I don't know why Logitech doesn't offer the X56 joysticks and throttles separately for those who just want one or the other. Pretty much every other company does. I probably would have bought just the joystick back when my old Cyborg EVO died. I already had a Virpil throttle at that point and couldn't see spending the extra money for a throttle I wouldn't use.
I'd have loved the option to have the X52 stick teamed with the X56 Throttle...

OP, no matter which HOTAS you decide on, there are almost none available. Logitech is out of stock. Virpril is on backorder, Thrustmaster may be available at some retailers, but I have not found one yet. Given the pandemic and the release of MS2020, stocks of Hotas around the world are almost non-existent. I have been searching for a month now and although there are some used ones on Ebay, they are priced at double the MSRP and most are used pieces of junk.

I think Logitech still has some X52Pro's for sale from their site, but that is all I can find at the moment. Good luck on your search.

OP, no matter which HOTAS you decide on, there are almost none available. Logitech is out of stock. Virpril is on backorder, Thrustmaster may be available at some retailers, but I have not found one yet. Given the pandemic and the release of MS2020, stocks of Hotas around the world are almost non-existent. I have been searching for a month now and although there are some used ones on Ebay, they are priced at double the MSRP and most are used pieces of junk.

I think Logitech still has some X52Pro's for sale from their site, but that is all I can find at the moment. Good luck on your search.
It is still possible to get some. VKB has different sticks on stock also found one retailer in Germany who had a warthog throttle on stock (but had to send it back).

VKB does have the Gladiator NXT in stock, which is pretty decent. As for throttles, they're pretty hard to find.

Still waiting on the additions ( expansions ? ) for the NXT, the joystick doesn't have enough buttons for me. ed I didn't by another MK II when I had the chance, they were perfect for what I need. If you fly Joystick + KB, the NXT should do what you need and very well.

Love the VKB stuff, but their development times are a bit slow. I'm looking at the Virpil throttle right now.

Still waiting on the additions ( expansions ? ) for the NXT, the joystick doesn't have enough buttons for me. ed I didn't by another MK II when I had the chance, they were perfect for what I need. If you fly Joystick + KB, the NXT should do what you need and very well.

Love the VKB stuff, but their development times are a bit slow. I'm looking at the Virpil throttle right now.

I've been waiting on the throttle from VKB forever. I much prefer slide throttles instead of pivot mounted ones, so when VKB showed off their throttle concept, I decided to wait, but DAMN release it already!

Had a CH Pro, but I wanted some more buttons so I got a TWCS Throttle and used Nyogel on it so it doesnt feel like such a toy. Here's to hoping the VKB throttle is good so I can put this thing in the closet, lol.
what???

Is VKB developing a throttle???

Link with info please???

Top Bottom