RCT 3 PC looks likefrontier has been mighty busy rct3 complete edition

I wouldn't read too much into it and just accept it as a re-issue of RCT3, with some tweaks and ported to Switch...period. Very nice to see and I'm hyped to see that Atari no longer has their name on it, but I think it's too early to speculate on any possible continued future for the RCT franchise, or for any thing from RCT to come over to the PC/PZ one.

I think they are -or were- trying to get PlanCo working on the Switch. The demand is certainly there since it is requested about twice a month here. The engine itself was ported successfully since they are giving (a probably heavily gutted version of) that Jurassic Park game a second change on Switch. And judging from Frontier's current line up (they even started publishing bland 2D titles from other developers), management seems finally convinced of its financial potential.

A proper theme park game on the Switch would be a almost guaranteed success since there is virtually no competition. On PC, the RCT3 re-release is kinda obsolete and irrelevant since we have better alternatives like Parkitect or OpenRCT2 for the gameplay and NoLimits 2 and PlanCo for just building stuff. On Switch there is...well, Atari's RCT Adventures. Yikes.

So I feel RCT3 on Switch is some kind of consolidation price for management to make revenue off the Switch audience while a downscaled PlanCo for Switch is either cancelled or postponed. That's just my hunch though!

I recalled RCT3 actually had a mobile port back in 2015 I think, it was a good port of the base game

But to see it getting an HD port with all expansions included does get me rather excited. I am interested to see how the game works in TV-mode with a controller, and how big could I get my parks to be before it starts to chug. As it is a 2004 game, it probably has a better frame rate consistently. Of the many ports the switch is getting, this is definitely one I would love to have in the library.

Hopefully those who buy the PC version of RCT3 Complete Edition will find that it conveniently installs as an update over their existing RCT3 installation without changing the directory structure.

I’d like to think that now Atari’s been disentangled from the RCT franchise Frontier’s testing the waters with RCT3 CE to confirm the community’s interest in RCT3. If Frontier is satisfied with the interest levels perhaps we may see an RCT4 released, although if this is the case I’m sure most of the community would want it to be an expanded re-tread of RCT3, just like RCT2 was to RCT1.

Interest in RCT3 continued at full speed for over a decade, yet interest in Planet Coaster, the RCT3 ‘sequel’ that was truly different, is already tapering off just a few years after its release, something that was bound to happen after PC started to age. Whatever Frontier does or does not do with RCT it looks like Planet Coaster is destined to become a one-off.

lol, at least owners of the Platinum Edition get a "free" upgrade after all, if you are okay with that notorious Epic Store and its controversies. That pretty much confirms we won't get any Steam features like Workshop support or proper cloud saving, not that was to be expected.

Oh by the way, modding is actually explicitly forbidden in Section 3.C of the EULA.

lol, at least owners of the Platinum Edition get a "free" upgrade after all, if you are okay with that notorious Epic Store and its controversies. That pretty much confirms we won't get any Steam features like Workshop support or proper cloud saving, not that was to be expected.

Oh by the way, modding is actually explicitly forbidden in Section 3.C of the EULA.
I have RCT3 Platinum (includes Soaked & Wild) on GOG.com .... I don't expect to be getting a free upgrade. Frontier are not supporting GOG anymore, RCT3 Platinum is not available on GOG.

And I am not actually surprised Complete Edition is going to be free on Epic, it's all to do with Tencent ... and no, I'm not wearing my tin foil conspiracy hat, I'm just saying there's a connection between Tencent owning a stake in Frontier and Tencent owning Epic.

Top Bottom