can SRVs PLEASE be less infuriating

(less of a suggestion and more like me whining about how much i hate the scarab)

I just cant, I cant, I cant. I cried out of anger ten minutes ago because I cant finish that stupid Guardian module blueprint stuff exclusively because riding the SRV scarab is just absolutely bonkers. It goes too fast when you accelerate, it goes too fast when you reverse, it flips itself in all directions, the jump is ridiculous, my hull is done for in 5 minutes because controlling it is hell on earth.

Im sorry, but videogames are supposed to be fun! and this aspect of the game just makes me go insane! Its not fun, its not even like just a somewhat boring mechanic that you do because you need something, and the guardian thing itself it's not difficult or complicated. It's just that the SRV is so horrible. Driving that thing makes me want to seriously die. It makes me want to be dead. Okay, it kind of sounds funny when I say it like this but by god I cant deal with this thing.

I know I knoooooow I suck at driving the damn thing but god, is there anyone who enjoys driving the scarab? its just infuriating, obnoxious, hellish, demonic, disgusting, repulsive, loathsome, annoying, grating, irritating, anger-inducing, hateful, devilish, horrible, terrible, it makes me see red, it makes me want to be dead, it makes me want to bite someone and it makes me want to kill. most of all it makes me want to explode myself.

It'd help if it felt a bit heavier, so it wouldn't wobble so much. And also setting a speed limit if we want to, that thing takes off so fast when Im trying to get myself un-stuck from somewhere that I end up getting stuck again. If I could make it never go above 5 (km/h? mph? idk hat the unit is) it'd already be 10% less irritating.

Hell you know what Id love? the option to get a different, sturdier slower vehicle. hell, anything that's not the scarab, that god-forsaken hunk of trash. that oversized can of crap. i want to set mine on fire and i want to EAT its fragile little bits. I swear if i had that hting in front of me i would EAT IT i would chew it bit by bit it deserves nothing but VIOLENCE. i would go feral on that stupid thing.
sorry. i may be just a little frustrated right about now

oh great. the damn thing exploded on the guardian site while i was typing this. on one hand, GOOD. its what it deserves. nothing but violence. i wish it could feel pain i wish i could hurt it.
on the other hand, damn it i gotta go buy another one if i want the fsd booster. ugh. >_>

It'd help if it felt a bit heavier, so it wouldn't wobble so much. And also setting a speed limit if we want to, that thing takes off so fast when Im trying to get myself un-stuck from somewhere that I end up getting stuck again. If I could make it never go above 5 (km/h? mph? idk hat the unit is) it'd already be 10% less irritating.

Weight is determined by mass/gravity, if the SRV's were made heavy enough to slow them down appreciably on low grav planets they wouldn't even be able to move on high grav planets. Also, throttle control? I have one on my joystick, you just move it a bit and the SRV moves slowly.

I know I knoooooow I suck at driving the damn thing but god, is there anyone who enjoys driving the scarab? its just infuriating, obnoxious, hellish, demonic, disgusting, repulsive, loathsome, annoying, grating, irritating, anger-inducing, hateful, devilish, horrible, terrible, it makes me see red, it makes me want to be dead, it makes me want to bite someone and it makes me want to kill. most of all it makes me want to explode myself.

There is an entire cult devoted to SRV racing among the Buckyball Racing Club members (and not only)

Demo run video

Step number 1:
turn "drive assist" OFF

this ^

Craith

Volunteer Moderator
... is there anyone who enjoys driving the scarab? ...
I do, I like driving the scarab a lot. IMO it drives great, but I guess it does depend on practice and also input device. I drive with my HOTAS, button bound similar to my spaceship, so I can instinctively control my scarab midair. racing and jumping around a guardian site is a lot of fun imo, but I do prefer the ruins more for driving, since they are more open. guardian sites are more interesting in general though. I also like just driving around planets, or planetary installations / circular cities.

drive assist off makes a huge difference (ninja'd by Zieman, but kept for completeness). Some people say drive assist on helps driving on the keyboard but I turned it off once and never thought back, so I can't even comment on its function. I think it makes the throttle "set" your speed, so if you keep pressing the button you keep accelerating - which does sound like your problem.

Handbrake helps a lot if you have troubles stopping, it also stabilises your SRV when under fire by those sentinels (I guess by applying down-thrust on your wheel thrusters)

PIPs make a huge difference in its speed, less pips might help you if your throttle control is to volatile. It also increases shields, which can again help against those sentinels, but not against collisions with terrain. With 4 pips in ENG you can make huge leaps through the air and kind of fly to positions you have trouble flying to - you only have "up" thrust, but that is in relation to the SRV, you pitch and roll toget to the direction you want, and of course you inherit any speed you had when you took off.

Good luck and hopefully your frustration will soon make place for joy in driving the SRV.

Step number 1:
turn "drive assist" OFF

Step number 2: practice.

I have traveled a few megameters in my SRV, I expect that's only a small amount compared to many other players, but practice does make a difference.

I do, I like driving the scarab a lot.

I must admit I do also, zooming around volcanic and bio sites, nothing helps you learn to steer at speed other than knowing those things out there are solid! I've never lost an SRV yet, but I have got a few hung up, learning how to get unhung is also a useful skill.

step 3 would be a set of SRV bind controls you are confortable with.

For example i started on XB - srv controls using the XB controler are great, but when i started to play on PC too (with kb+mouse) the default controls sucked.
Took me a couple of tries to find a scheme i was comfortable with, but even now i still prefer the XB controller binds to drive with.

edit: actually this should be step 1.5 :D

Driving the SRV is great fun and easy. Just takes practice like everything else. If you really hate doing the guardian ruins (and I don't blame you, the hilly terrain is sick inducing), bring a friend in a ship - they can not only charge the pylons for you they can also shoot the sentinels. Then all you have to do is drop a relic/key at the right spot and scan a ball. If that's too hard, well, guess you're not getting the module. 😛

@steff if you equip 2 point defense turrets on your ship and land it relatively close to the ruins they will shoot down the missiles the guardian drones shoot at you. I remember getting knocked around like a pinball from all those missiles so I get the frustration. Make sure the turrets have a clear line of sight when you equip them as putting one on the bottom won't do any good.

I know I knoooooow I suck at driving the damn thing but god, is there anyone who enjoys driving the scarab?
I hate the SRV with a passion.
Whatever I try to use it I end up either uncontrollably belting about like a scally teenager in a nicked golf on police interceptors or trundling along like postman pat. Material collection time is spent mostly rolling down hills sidewards whilst swearing.

When the ruins were first found I went for an explore around them and hated it so much that I've never been back and have ruled out ever having any guardian stuff.

SRV's can do one - they're beyond my skill and patience level.

You do know you don't have to go full throttle all the time, don't you? I've found on low g planets I do better at controlling the thing when I'm at half throttle...granted, the jumps aren't as long...

Keep in mind the speed indicator is indeed m/s. So doing say, 25 in the SRV is the average speed you do in a car on a freeway (90 kph / 55 mph ish). Combine that with a moon with barely enough gravity to keep the rocks on the ground and you're in for a trouble should you hit anything bigger than a pebble.

Yeah it feels like it was almost intentionally made bad. I swear the spin-out movement is a canned animation designed to point you backwards every time you turn just a teeny bit too sharply, which is going to happen all the time because the sensitivity on the steering is so extreme it might as well be a binary left/right/center game pad switch like SNES Mario Kart.

Pretty much the only way to get around is to spend more time flying the srv than driving it. Throttle up, let it careen off the first bump it hits, and then use gentle pulses of thrust to keep it skimming just off the ground for as long as you can, while reducing or even zeroing out the throttle and focusing on lining up your landing when the descent starts. If you match angles with the surface you'll be able to carry on at the same speed you were going, and then launch off the next bump and repeat until you reach your destination.

Last edited:
It takes practice. It's realistic (to a point that it doesn't have those fake speed limitations spaceships have and SRV's can go faster than any spaceship if managed by someone with experience), it's quite fun.
It wouldn't be as fun if it would be restricted to easy mode.

(less of a suggestion and more like me whining about how much i hate the scarab)

I just cant, I cant, I cant. I cried out of anger ten minutes ago because I cant finish that stupid Guardian module blueprint stuff exclusively because riding the SRV scarab is just absolutely bonkers. It goes too fast when you accelerate, it goes too fast when you reverse, it flips itself in all directions, the jump is ridiculous, my hull is done for in 5 minutes because controlling it is hell on earth.

Im sorry, but videogames are supposed to be fun! and this aspect of the game just makes me go insane! Its not fun, its not even like just a somewhat boring mechanic that you do because you need something, and the guardian thing itself it's not difficult or complicated. It's just that the SRV is so horrible. Driving that thing makes me want to seriously die. It makes me want to be dead. Okay, it kind of sounds funny when I say it like this but by god I cant deal with this thing.

Hell you know what Id love? the option to get a different, sturdier slower vehicle. hell, anything that's not the scarab, that god-forsaken hunk of trash. that oversized can of crap. i want to set mine on fire and i want to EAT its fragile little bits. I swear if i had that hting in front of me i would EAT IT i would chew it bit by bit it deserves nothing but VIOLENCE. i would go feral on that stupid thing.
sorry. i may be just a little frustrated right about now

oh great. the damn thing exploded on the guardian site while i was typing this. on one hand, GOOD. its what it deserves. nothing but violence. i wish it could feel pain i wish i could hurt it.
on the other hand, damn it i gotta go buy another one if i want the fsd booster. ugh. >_>
Your bio states you just joined yesterday, it doesn't state how long you've been playing. As it's been said, make sure that drive assit is off, and if you've reconfigure all you srv configs to match your ships configs; Driving will be exactly like flying only you'll be on the surface. If and when the bad guys are shooting their missiles at ya, stop and make sure your brakes are on. And make sure your ship is parked as near to the center as possible and that you have at least on Point Defense somewhere on the top not the bottom of your ship.
And most of all, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, and more PRACTIC!

1) Drive assist OFF
2) find a set of bindings you can work with
3) practice

and
...on the other hand, damn it i gotta go buy another one if i want the fsd booster. ugh. >_>
4) if you visit the Guardian sites and want to collect a blueprint fragment, bring more than one SRV. 3) also helps. A lot.

What doesn't help, though, is VR 🤮. Also here, 3) helps - but it's a slow road.

Top Bottom