Can I get some advice for my Beluga please?

I realy like the Beluga and use it primarily for passenger missions, 54 1st class seats or 12 seats less when using a 6a fuelscoop for sightseeing missions.

The only thing I'm struggling with is the darn ship overheats very easily.
Does anyone of you Beluga experts have some example setups so I get the most out of it without cooking my passengers?

o7

A-rated powerplant (runs coolest) with engineering. I used G3 Armoured (which reduces heat as a side-effect), then Stripped Down to reduce mass (Armoured adds mass).

I'd start by making sure you have an A rated power plant and, then engineering it to be Armored/Thermal Spread. This maximizes the thermal efficiency of the power plant.

Then engineer your drives with clean tuning and, again thermal spread.

I'd start by making sure you have an A rated power plant and, then engineering it to be Armored/Thermal Spread. This maximizes the thermal efficiency of the power plant.

Then engineer your drives with clean tuning and, again thermal spread.

Are you using A rated drives? I've got D rated right now and speed is seriously lacking to be honest.

I realy like the Beluga and use it primarily for passenger missions, 54 1st class seats or 12 seats less when using a 6a fuelscoop for sightseeing missions.

Does anyone of you Beluga experts have some example setups so I get the most out of it without cooking my passengers?

o7
If your gonna utilize it as it was intended to be utilize. Then you do as other's have stated and make sure you have all the necessary core's and shield generated to that of an "A" grade. In addition you won't need weapons of any kind and maybe only one or two shield boosters. The latter allows room to haul 3 sets of hint sinks which will total 8 just in case you should need them.

Are you using A rated drives? I've got D rated right now and speed is seriously lacking to be honest.
As the others have said, A rated power plant but I would argue for Low Emissions and Thermal spread. Given that it's a passenger boat, your power needs shouldn't be so great that a Low Emissions Power Plant can't run everything.

As to speed, do you really need it? Running passenger missions, the only time you'll actually be using thrusters is docking and getting to the beacon. I get it, time is CR's, but I ran D rated thrusters on my DW2 Beluga and it worked out fine. Even still, A rated thrusters shouldn't increase your heat issues if you go with a Low Emissions/Thermal Spread plant.

o7
Turn off everything you don't really need, things like fuel scoops (unless you are scooping), FSD boosters except when actually jumping, FSD when landing on a higher gravity world, CARGO HATCH, etc. Even the distributor can be turned off - it continues to work, you just can't manage pips (they remain at their current setting).

Last edited:
I put together an optimised beluga build in coriolis for the OP, basically its featuring:
  • 5A scoop & small guardian FSD range booster for the journey(s)
  • mega frag-cannons and a stack of shield boosters for "incoming enemy alerts"
  • a class 4 SRV hangar for harvesting materials on planets surfaces at fumeroles / geisers etc
  • 3a collector limpets for signal sources while in supercruise on your passenger travels
  • minimal engineering - you can add a little to this to suit your taste
    • either add thermal resist or enhanced low power to the shield generator
      • don't use resistance augmented or heavy duty on the shield boosters as they add to the power draw
      • thermal or any other resistance mod works on the shield boosters without increased power draw
    • you could also add lightweight or efficient onto the frags to further reduce power consumption
    • doing any of these mods to reduce power consumption will also let you add a fighter hangar as well
      • you could add a fighter hangar as is simply by putting the FSD or collector limpet on a secondary power group
link: https://s.orbis.zone/9rtJ

Here's mine:
So long as I avoid boosting into SC or jumps heat seems fine for me.

Swap out the cargo bays for HRPs and you've got a perfectly good combat ship that should handle a medium CZ fine (high with ammo synth).

Thank you guys for all your advice.
I'll take look at evrything carefully tonight when I'm playing and will pay a visit to some engineers and do some experimenting, especially the armoured pp with thermal spread.
Dirty drives with drag produce a lot of heat so that's a no.
I can't turn off that many modules when running pass. missions since you jump all the time and have to run sometimes when interdicted, hence the preference for some speed.

I will take a guess. Added lots of shield boosters too?

I don't have any shield boosters installed and carry 5c bi weaves instead of a class 6 which slot I need for the extra 12 1st class cabins.

All help is much appreciated!

Or a Python. A Python is capable of making far more than any dedicated passenger ship doing passenger missions.

We really need a medium liner.
And a medium pad T series that can compete with the Python (T8).

But I think it depends with the Python. Yes, it gets more per run, but, if you use a large ship at Ceos, you can do more runs, meaning roughly the same credits per hour.

Just before you go engineering the heck out of it and potentially wasting a bunch of time...

Remember that the Beluga has an enormous fuel tank and that the class 6 scoop is technically a size too low, bit like the DBX. But unlike the DBX it isn’t an ice box.

You may find you simply need to take this into account and revisit your scooping technique to compensate. Even if you G5 low emissions/thermal spread your powerplant you may never get the result you’re after...

A rated PP/G1 low emissions/thermal spread is what I use on my explorer/jumpers. If that doesn’t work pushing it further won’t help...

Thank you guys for all your advice.
I'll take look at evrything carefully tonight when I'm playing and will pay a visit to some engineers and do some experimenting, especially the armoured pp with thermal spread.
Dirty drives with drag produce a lot of heat so that's a no.
I can't turn off that many modules when running pass. missions since you jump all the time and have to run sometimes when interdicted, hence the preference for some speed.

I don't have any shield boosters installed and carry 5c bi weaves instead of a class 6 which slot I need for the extra 12 1st class cabins.

All help is much appreciated!
There's plenty of debate about the forum about clean v dirty drives. The people I've seen actually put numbers behind their arguments suggest clean drives make a minimal impact on heat due to the increased power demand of this mod. The only real use seems to be in silent running otherwise the difference only seems to be about 1%.

There's plenty to search through and this post would be far too long if I started posting links to everything, but I given the amount of debate I'd suggest the difference isn't significant.

Top Bottom