Supercruise Rework

Since FDev are busy with Odyssey (and some other projects I assume), it's pointless to post it in suggestions (for at least a decade now), so let's just pipedream here a bit:

Is that me or others find SC mindnumbingly automated and boring to death? I mean, they did pretty good job with planetary landings, even if they are technically slower, but even being experienced, you can still up glide every now and then. Plus it looks and feels quite cool, and doesn't get old. But that watching distance/timer for the 9000th time, seeing 6 secs and switching to blue, sitting there, feeling as your life sips from your palms like sand, while countdown continues, your hair getting gray and world starts to move in slow motion. This hurts a lot...

Let's be real, SC is heavily on-rails already, of course there's a trick for quick dropout with SCAM, which doesn't seem like being intended, as you often fall through the walls and solid objects, like stars (and watching this is quite immersive breaking plus personally I hate wasting precious slots for modules like these)... You can also speed up a little when near desttination, or slighty overshoot without it, but it really shaves like 0.5 secs of your slow and painful venture otherwise.

Would be really cool if we had at least some control over speeds, like blue zone being not 75 but 25, and at different timing stages, you could be able switch speed by 10 margin for faster drop out. Of course it would require precision, as you could occasionally screw up which leads to overshoot, but anything not to feel so boringly automatic would work. I mean, blue zone would stay as it is, and SCAM too, as with Glide, which is optional, and you could fly down old fashioned way.

Also during regular SC around gravity wells, mechanic where if you keep speed to maximum and are too close to the object, you risk falling from SC but can move quicker, otherwise switch to 75 (blue zone around gravity wells) and continue as you do now. SCAM would have it automated so no problem for people who like it being more hands free type, like right now.

Whaddya think?

P.S. Making extra thread for this feels silly, so in case anyone reads, I forgot to finish some stuff in Colonia, so if any taxi FCs moving in or out, I'd be glad to hop on. Would be extra cool if trip in and out is fast. Speaking of which, we really need FC service advertisement thread by now. And in case I missed it, are there resources that have some offers like these posted?

Last edited by a moderator:
Comes to Spaceship Flying game - complains there is too much flying spaceships.

I guess we'll get more of these when EDO comes out ;)
You see, SC isn't even a "spaceship flight", in no way whatsoever. It's more like you being strapped on a roller coaster rails around hollow space with little control over it. I never complained and never will about actual space flight, which is absolutely amazing in this game, on every ship so far.

After watching Obsidian Ant's recent video, I do agree that some work on Supercruise speed's might be in order, but I disagree with you both here on what changes should be made.

Personally I think the speed close to planets/gravity wells is fine. I rather enjoy watching planets gracefully slide by :)

I think where is needs changed in on the long journeys between worlds, especially those long 10k+ ls journeys.

All I think they need to do here is increase the acceleration of frameshift once you get to about 50 times lightspeed so that you will quickly reach the max velocity of 2001 times light speed in a 1 or 2 minutes at most.

That way you would cross large voids quickly (where there is nothing to see) but still enjoy the close up views of the planets once you get close to them and it would dramatically cut down on the longest journey times that players undertake.

After watching Obsidian Ant's recent video, I do agree that some work on Supercruise speed's might be in order, but I disagree with you both here on what changes should be made.

Personally I think the speed close to planets/gravity wells is fine. I rather enjoy watching planets gracefully slide by :)

I think where is needs changed in on the long journeys between worlds, especially those long 10k+ ls journeys.

All I think they need to do here is increase the acceleration of frameshift once you get to about 50 times lightspeed so that you will quickly reach the max velocity of 2001 times light speed in a 1 or 2 minutes at most.

That way you would cross large voids quickly (where there is nothing to see) but still enjoy the close up views of the planets once you get close to them and it would dramatically cut down on the longest journey times that players undertake.
Well, my suggestion will not directly make ship fly faster by bodies on its own, it will just have an option to do it (if one wants to), and have a risk attached to it. I mean, when you fall from SC, you take hull damage and long FSD countdown, which evens this out quite well IMO.

Acceleration is great method too, but my point is that SC, and travel/exploration overall is way too uneventful and risk free, player has to have something to do. For instance, in normal space you can go FA off and have your fun, in SC you can't do anything other than watching countdown timers and occasionally switching to blue every 6 secs on it...

Just making the acceleration and deceleration a lot faster would make it massively better.

If you think of super cruise like the travelling between the "caves" and other locations in say, Skyrim, then the current implementation is like making it so that, you start walking really slowly, then get up to speed, then as you get closer to a random cave (a signal source) you slow right down, over a large period of time, until you finally get to the cave entrance.

You do the stuff in the cave.

You the exit the cave, and have to spend a few minutes getting back up to speed to get to the next one...

It's a bit mad really.

If you could get back up to speed, and down from speed a lot quicker, than all the things within super cruise that you can drop in on would suddenty become a lot more enticing, as it wouldn't take you several minutes just to check one out, and then carry on, they would be random encounters along the way, rather than specific things you decide if the slow down/speed up time is worth it for.

You see, SC isn't even a "spaceship flight", in no way whatsoever. It's more like you being strapped on a roller coaster rails around hollow space with little control over it. I never complained and never will about actual space flight, which is absolutely amazing in this game, on every ship so far.
Are you confusing SC in ED with SC in SC? That's on rails with no control.

I'm not sure what could really be done, without ending up in the Elite 2 system which would end up with FAR more threads wanting to revert to doing it with supercruise.

If you think of super cruise like the travelling between the "caves" and other locations in say, Skyrim, then the current implementation is like making it so that, you start walking really slowly, then get up to speed, then as you get closer to a random cave (a signal source) you slow right down, over a large period of time, until you finally get to the cave entrance.

Ironically, this actually makes a lot of sense for a spaceship flying game – FTL stuff aside, of course. Maybe too much sense.

I simply do not see that.
With 'Assisted Supercruise' OK, maybe - the MOST useless module in the game.
But Supercruise demands a certain amount of care and monitoring - even if we're not going for the perfect 6 seconds, we need to FLY to the station and carefully watch our speed. While it is nothing like real flight and I'd personally enjoy a bit more complexity, it is a good balance of skill and pleasure.

As a side note, if you want a more challenging SC approach, deselect your target and fly there without computer assistance. It's a lot of fun. :)

Most of the looooooong supercruise journeys I’ve had to take (because you absolutely must map that THMC) have been to secondary or tertiary stars, so I tend to blast ‘up’ off the orbital plane of the primary, then over and down to my destination.

I’ve no idea if it’s the most fastest way, but I take great pleasure in trying to travel in a lovely smooth arc.

I had an idea to help make it a bit more interactive some time ago. Let me see if I can dig up that thread... Nope, seems to be lost in the void.

Well basically, it was an idea to have an optional 3D cube grid overlay showing gravity wells. This would be nice for exploration too as an option to explore without parking your ship and playing the world lock picking mini game to find where stuff is out in the black.

bomRP91.gif

I think travel mechanics in general could do with a big improvement, but yes supercruise is absolutely the one needing more attention IMO.

I have long wished for faster supercruise acceleration and deceleration. I would love to spend much more time in normal space, and far less in supercruise. Instead of aging watching the ship decelerate very slowly towards a station and then drop to normal space almost on top of the pad, I'd rather have much faster supercruise, and drop 50km or more away from the station, and have gameplay opportunities created in normal space where it actually feels like we're properly flying a ship.

Once we enter a new system, for whatever purpose, if it's in inhabited system , there is actually quite a lot of stuff going on at any given time, but most of it is wasted due to travel times. Signal sources or all kinds, to scavenge, scan, distress calls, collect materials, collect lost cargo, rescue pods, installations, ships to scan, etc. Trouble is, every single one of these will add quite a lot of twiddling thumbs time, to all the twiddling thumbs time we already spend just to get to our original destination. Thus people tend to avoid any diversions to avoid even more time waiting, and all that gameplay diversity potential goes down the drain. Even just de-selecting the nav target to target something else for a bit will add more twiddling thumbs time.

IMO this would be easily fixed by buffing supercruise accerelation and deceleration, it would allow us to detour across many of the gameplay opportunities within a system and proceed with what we were doing, without having to witness the tectonic plates move in real time while we get to every single one of those. And there would still remain some outlier systems with long travel times, after all if Hutton Orbital would take 25 minutes to get there instead of 80, the "space is big" idea is still conveyed.

With Apex in Odyssey I think some improvements to intra-system travel speed will finally be made, after all I doubt people travelling without ships using Apex will be forced to stare at the screen without any possible input for 10 or more minutes, that would be far too daft to actually be made, and I also doubt Apex will be faster than using our own ships, else what's the point of using our own ships to travel?

Even the 'Ant in his latest video says supercruise travel time reduction is one of the most important improvements for the future, and as FD seems to listen to him, there's hope.

Last edited:
I think of all the things in the game that FD could be persuaded to change supercruise just isn’t one of them. They seem very rigid on things like scale/spacetime...

A better agenda to chase would be more interactive things that we could do from our cockpits without having to alter our course.

An in flight system mission board with a fast turnover of contracts would be a very good start. Local salvage, bounties, rescue, refuels, local exploration points...

This way you’re still interacting with the game even while in supercruise and potentially planning your next moves. And it would also open up different careers...

Yes, the time used in supercruise is ridiculous, not to mention the ridiculous reduction of speed in the signals ... it is a pain in the arx, I dont know how there are people who can agree to spend time doing absolutely nothing.

***Come on, it is ridiculous that it takes longer to travel within a system than to jump several light years ... is that realistic?

a hyper jump pointing to a planet that consumes fuel should be enough, the rest of you can continue leaving hours of life along the way 😂

Top Bottom