Newcomer / Intro OK, how to tell if I am the First?

OK, so doing this exploring thing.

If I am inside a System :

1. Press '1', open the Nav panel and select system view.
2. Move the mouse over each planet.
3. It will say 1st discovered by XXX, 1st Mapped by YYY
4. So I saw this 2 planets where it had 1st Discovered but no 1st Mapped
5. Proceed to Map those 2. Gets mapped as normal. No msg to tell you you are the first right? System map doesnt update to show my name because I have not handed in the data?
6. Landed at Seeker's rest and sold the data. It just shows the normal 'Mapped' when I view the data to sell, nothing to show I am the first.

Is this correct?

You need to go to the system map where it should show your name as the first mapper. The value of the data when you sell it will also indicate if you are the first person to map it, it is much higher for first mapper. There's also a remote chance that after you mapped it but before you sold it someone else mapped it and sold the data before you, so they get first mapped, but check the system map after selling data.

Thanks, I knew I could do that but I forgot to add.....

I was so excited to be the first and seeing that Seeker's rest was only 4 jumps away, I booted it there without remembering what the system was called... some gobbedigook DX 861 or 864 somathingy...

I'll try again...

A couple of things to try to see your system.

First, if you can see the "system map" icon when you hover over a system it means you've been there. You should then be able to drill down and see the the first disco/first map tags on the bodies therein.

A second thing that may help show where you've been is to use the "visited stars" filter on the galmap.

Lastly, you could try using one of the third party tools such as EDDiscovery which gives a lot of information about which bodeis you've been to. If you enable auto-sends to EDSM and Inara (you'll need API keys from their sites) they may also help.

OK, so doing this exploring thing.

No you are not, you are being a tourist. ;)

I'm only teasing but in truth you are only really exploring (in the sense of discovering new stuff) if when you arrive there is nothing in the system map. So that way you know you are somewhere that nobody has been to before (or if they have then they have not sold the carto data for it).

First Discovered is exploration - just First Mapped is surveying. ;)

Seriously though, just keep enjoying what you are doing, that is all that matters. (y)

While he's there he may as well do the full tourist thing anyway and visit the guardian ruins. To the OP, it's unlikely you will find undiscovered systems in that area, it's heavily trafficked, but it's worth visiting, I sometimes I drop in to interesting POI myself on my exploration trips, and a couple of times I have just stumbled across tourist beacons when heading for something that looks interesting, so being a tourist is not so bad. (y)

I'm only teasing but in truth you are only really exploring (in the sense of discovering new stuff) if when you arrive there is nothing in the system map. So that way you know you are somewhere that nobody has been to before (or if they have then they have not sold the carto data for it).

First Discovered is exploration - just First Mapped is surveying. ;)

Seriously though, just keep enjoying what you are doing, that is all that matters. (y)

Ah, here comes the next question. If I jump into a totally unexplored system, when I open the system map does it only show the star and hide the planets? Or it will show the planets after D Scan? Or something else?

Ah, here comes the next question. If I jump into a totally unexplored system, when I open the system map does it only show the star and hide the planets? Or it will show the planets after D Scan? Or something else?

The planets in a virgin system are only shown on the system map after you have "discovered" them by zooming-in on the FSS or flying within the passive detection distance (about 30ls). The "honk" by the discovery-scanner only discovers stellar bodies so those are shown on the system map after the honk. (So in short, after a disco scan pulse your system map shows stars and anything within passive range - so some close planets and asteroid belts.)

When you first arrive in a virgin system your scanner display ("radar") is completely empty, the star only appears on it after a short delay as your scanner's passive detection picks it up (and anything else close enough).

BTW - in a part-explored system your will see on your system map large gaps between planets. This is usually from the old system where people only approached high-value bodies to get a scan of it (cherry-picking). This happens less now I assume?

Last edited:
BTW - in a part-explored system your will see on your system map large gaps between planets. This is usually from the old system where people only approached high-value bodies to get a scan of it (cherry-picking). This happens less now I assume?
It might happen less. Or more. At least cherry-picking is easier than before, just zoom in on the signals you're interested in*.
But to get a good (or full) picture of a system, you have to zoom in on everything.

*not all interesting bodies have a distinct frequency on the spectrum, so looking for them you may need to scan everything, or at least certain types of signals.

Just a quick note I don't think anyone mentioned. A honk in a virgin system will tell you how many bodies in the system, 16 for instance, but it will often say something like 30/3. This basically means 3 stars and 13 other bodies that need to be revealed by the system scan, as well as 14 other signals that also need to be revealed by the FSS but aren't system bodies, so asteroid clusters, unidentified signals, stations, FC's etc.

On opening the system map after the first honk you will see all the stars and the asteroid fields, but not the clusters. Bodies in close proximity to the primary star will often be shown, as will asteroid clusters because you were close enough on arrival for the passive scan to work on those.

Once you do a few you will get the idea, have fun.

Just a quick note I don't think anyone mentioned. A honk in a virgin system will tell you how many bodies in the system, 16 for instance, but it will often say something like 30/3. This basically means 3 stars and 13 other bodies that need to be revealed by the system scan, as well as 14 other signals that also need to be revealed by the FSS but aren't system bodies, so asteroid clusters, unidentified signals, stations, FC's etc.

On opening the system map after the first honk you will see all the stars and the asteroid fields, but not the clusters. Bodies in close proximity to the primary star will often be shown, as will asteroid clusters because you were close enough on arrival for the passive scan to work on those.

Once you do a few you will get the idea, have fun.

You got mixed up there.

The honk gives a message on the HUD telling you how many bodies:

Ix (20201113-133706).jpg

In the FSS you see the number of signals as well as the number of bodies (dicovered / total):

Ix (20201113-133756).jpg

People forget that the signals include stars, planets and clusters - which is what you were alluding to.

BTW @Yingnei Gasua, here is what the above system map showed after the discovery scanner:

Ix (20201113-133730).jpg

So another 15 planetary bodies to discover.

After doing that:

Ix (20201113-135215).jpg

Last edited:
You got mixed up there.

The honk gives a message on the HUD telling you how many bodies:

View attachment 195098

In the FSS you see the number of signals as well as the number of bodies (dicovered / total):

View attachment 195099

People forget that the signals include stars, planets and clusters - which is what you were alluding to.

BTW @Yingnei Gasua, here is what the above system map showed after the discovery scanner:

View attachment 195102

So another 15 planetary bodies to discover.

After doing that:

View attachment 195103

Thanks. So if the honk says e.g. 10, and I only see 5 (stars + planets) on my system map, that means there are 5 to discover?

If you think you've discovered something first it's a bad idea to show the planet/system name in public before handing in the data. I'm sure nobody reading this topic will rush there, scan, and rush back to claim before you do but it's something to bear in mind for when you discover something more valuable.

OK, I still have no idea how to really work the FSS but just mashed it like a monkey on a keyboard and I think I should be the first to discover this one. This system doesnt even register on EDDB.

Think of the FSS like tuning a radio. Every type of body, be it stars, gas giants, ice worlds, etc, all emit a certain frequency, which is shown on the bar in the middle (those white arrow lines). You use your arrows keys to slide the selector up and down the bandwidth to "tune" what kind of signal you're actively looking for, then as you pan around the camera, you'll see those white arrows showing the selected signal appear near your crosshair when you get close. Left clicking then zooms you in for a closer look, and confirms whatever it is you're looking at, adding all of its info to your map. Zoom back out, continue panning, and slide the selector up and down until you find everything. It's actually a lot simpler than it first appears.

Oh and those white arrows you see, they have different patterns to indicate what's what, but don't worry about memorizing them or anything. Unless you're really trying to only cherry pick the most high value of targets you'll probably just want to scan everything anyway. Generally speaking, from left to right along the bandwith bar, you'll find artificial signals like emission sources and weapons fire will be on the far left, Notable Stellar Phenomena a bit further along, then High Metal/Metal Rich worlds, then icy bodies, then earth likes (annoying close to the iceys, often fooling you into thinking you've found something valuable, but nope, just another ice ball!), then water worlds, then ammonia worlds, then a variety of gas giants of different classes towards the far right. As you play around you'll get more of a feel for where certain things tend to be on the scale.

Oh, and another tip, if you ever zoom in on something and it doesn't show you what it is straight away, it means there's multiple things to find. Sometimes you have to perform multiple "zoom ins" until you find something, and every zoom level will have more stuff nearby. Gas giants for example, often have a lot of moons, so make sure to grab them all.

Actually, doesn't the signal amount include stuff like transients as well? I honestly can't remember and I was only exploring two days ago! :D

Yes the signals include a lot of things - transient signal sources, megaships, fleet carriers, installations, etc. I just mentioned the basic things when out in the black - I can't remember where NSPs appear on the tuning scale I have not found a single one since Beagle and before.

Top Bottom