ANNOUNCEMENT Game Balancing

Hi mate :) - I am well aware of how it's done.
We must however ask ourselves, is closing this (rather theoretical) loophole really worth wasting the chance of breathing new life into open play?

The reason it was changed to be a fixed low payout was because the swap bounty reward was being abused into the billions of credits, at a time when a billion was 1 years worth of game play and bountys were much lower.
So yes it would get massively abused now.

I welcome a rebalance in the trades.
You'll no doubt lose some players because of it but please be assured that there is a majority of players who have been with you from the start that welcome this change.
There's too many players that have gotten rich very quickly and are on par with some of your veteran fan base in only a matter of months. They haven't exploited the game, only taken advantage of something you allowed to happen in the first place.

Please ensure that risk equals reward when you do implement it.
If I'm mining LTDs and only get encountered by pirates once when I log in, then that isn't so risky when compared to hauling Gold over 3 systems away and get interdicted 5 times for my cargo.

At the moment, one pays a way lot more than the other but not the one you'd think.

The easiest way to solve it is keep things the same, mining is stays lucrative but have more pirates continuously patrolling the mining areas.
This means, the player either swaps out some mining equipment for some weapons to fight, sacrifices that cargo rack for a fighter bay and pays a crew member to protect them or installs that bigger shield generator. Or hand over the demanded cargo but increase it significantly so that it hurts the players quota that they must take measures to stop it happening repeatedly.

Elite Dangerous
Risk equals reward.

So for giggles, I went and mined for an hour in a prisitne metallic non-hotspot. I didn't bother reverse PWA-ing which yielded some roids but w/e... this was plain old vanilla laser mining.

The caveat was I didn't ignore any asteroids. I simply prospected and took what I got.

The end result was:
26t Indite (avg 2232)
13t Osmium (avg 17139)
18t Platinum (avg 42495)
14t Gold (avg 9847)
9t Praesodymium (avg 8619)
9t Bertrandite (avg 2517)
41t Samarium (avg 15119)
35t Gallite (avg 2694)
43t Palladium (avg 12953)

Total Profits: 1,797,242

Look at some of those items. Platinum, Gold, Palladium, Osmium. How much Painite would someone get in an hour? 100m worth?

I haven't even got enough to fulfil a mission here of anything. That kinda tells you how out of whack things are.

Last edited:
Well, I suppose I asked for that - due to just posting a comment without adding anything meaningful to the issue. I apologise, I was tired.

Let me try again.

When Powerplay first launched I pledged to Denton Patreus, and began the long learning curve to playing a power properly, daily - I would log onto the forum and go to the player ran section for Denton to find the current goals for that week, and working with the forum community - played those goals.

Due to real life issues - my time with elite faded and after six or seven months I had stopped playing. I recently started playing again and this time joined Aisling Duval and was quite surprised that nothing has changed since powerplay was launched.

There are issues that need addressing, one of these is having to pay to support your power in a meaningful way (one of rubbernukes favourites), the modules that non-powerplay users exploit - often causing more problems for the supporters, as they don't actually know what they are doing and finally the whole experience pays badly. Though I never played it for the credits.

I did / do all of this from solo, working with the community in solo, as I'm not a fan of PvP in the main game, despite the fact I really like CQC. I do truly believe that locking the whole mode behind open would be a bad idea, offer better incentives for open, yes - or slightly reduce the impact of solo players but don't lock it behind a wall.

That's it really - these are just my thoughts on the matter, I don't speak for anyone else.
Ok this is clearer, to be honest none of us play for the credits in Powerplay, we play it because it is the only form of E-sports in Elite. Now Powerplay is about PvP, and that is coming form someone who is NOT a PvPer, I am one of Winters Leadership and my area is Undermining so PvE Combat, but because our culture in Winters is to support Open play, we have almost weekly training to our Haulers and recruits on how to survive a PvP, the idea that if you cannot send your combat PvP to stop your enemies, and them sending theirs to stop us, then the game will become a game of numbers "the community with largest player numbers wins" which turn Powerplay into another grind. But when we strategies we try to put hooks and hoops so that we have contingency plans to when the enemy tries to blockade a system or attack us and try to stop us from fortifying or expanding etc... that is the beauty of Powerplay, that it can be dynamic, even with all the broken mechanics in Powerplay if it becomes open only a lot of things are solved:

1. you can catch random players from your own faction doing harmful things to you because they rely on the info that the game gives them which is wrong, we always tell our recruits: The game UI lies, Fdev Lies. The only way to reach random players who play in solo now is through system chat, which is not efficient because most of the time they will take the devs word over ours even if we know Powerplay more than Fdev will ever know it (Because Frontiers developers do not play their game)
2. It will solve the 5C problem, no longer will we need to fight our competitors in game AND 5C from within,5C plague all the major powers. Once it is open only, you can catch these horrible CMDRS (mostly bots) and fight them.
3. It will create epic battles (we had few of these) where we send Combat Air Patrol to protect our haulers and distract enemy PvPers, and vise versa

In the end the Lead Designer of Powerplay Sandro said repeatedly that Powerplay is mainly a consensual PvP gameplay, consensual PvP doesn't mean you need to be a PvPer but to accept that you will be attacked by your enemy PvPers.

As I said I am not a PvPers, I have rarely ever blew up a CMDR in game, but I learned how to survive an Attack which is very satisfying actually.

So for giggles, I went and mined for an hour in a prisitne metallic non-hotspot. I didn't bother reverse PWA-ing which yielded some roids but w/e... this was plain old vanilla laser mining.

The caveat was I didn't ignore any asteroids. I simply prospected and took what I got.

The end result was:
26t Indite (avg 2232)
13t Osmium (avg 17139)
18t Platinum (avg 42495)
14t Gold (avg 9847)
41t Samarium (avg 15119)
35t Gallite (avg 2694)

Look at some of those items. Platinum, Gold, Palladium, Osmium. How much Painite would someone get in an hour? 100m worth?

I haven't even got enough to fulfil a mission here of anything. That kinda tells you how out of whack things are.
What is the Painite, Void Opals and Low Temperature Diamonds used for anyway?

The end result was:
26t Indite (avg 2232)
13t Osmium (avg 17139)
18t Platinum (avg 42495)
14t Gold (avg 9847)
41t Samarium (avg 15119)
35t Gallite (avg 2694)

As purely theoretical idea(s):

I've always wondered at the 'gold rush' description and thought, why not actually make it a rush? So rather than having steady state and inexhaustible precious gems why not use the CG / burning station style mechanic and make these commodities opportunistic? So, you could:

Have a CG that suggests prospectors have found x at y and temporary megaship mining facilities and enable mining for that week.

Have a Gnosis like wandering vessel (or vessels) that randomly go around the bubble / locations and act as a pathfinder prospector and where they jump to enables precious gem mining (and you get the flock of seagull pirates, player police etc and focusses players into small areas)

Use the attacked station mechanic and have random systems picked for a certain amount of time to have gems in.

These limit how many you can mine, generate gameplay situations and fit the 'gold rush' moniker.

I've always wondered at the 'gold rush' description and thought, why not actually make it a rush? So rather than having steady state and inexhaustible precious gems why not use the CG / burning station style mechanic and make these commodities opportunistic? So, you could:

Have a CG that suggests prospectors have found x at y and temporary megaship mining facilities and enable mining for that week.

Have a Gnosis like wandering vessel (or vessels) that randomly go around the bubble / locations and act as a pathfinder prospector and where they jump to enables precious gem mining (and you get the flock of seagull pirates, player police etc and focusses players into small areas)

Use the attacked station mechanic and have random systems picked for a certain amount of time to have gems in.

These limit how many you can mine, generate gameplay situations and fit the 'gold rush' moniker.
Just tell fdev how to implement that by changing a couple of numbers in a table and you're good to go!

Also: Gank rush. (y)

Sup guys, been playing for 2 days and I am randomly getting Scarlet Krait error and then it closes to desktop, mostly when I undock from what I noticed but not always, anyone knows a fix or no fix yet? Open play btw

@Bruce Garrido Since you guys are looking for balancing feedback, there's this megathread from back in May that contains most of the community's demands. Definitely worth a look I'd say.

I hear a bunch of people crying that new players can earn a good Anaconda in a week or less. The game is a huge grind not just money, unlocking engineers, guardian tech. It took me a week to figure out my binds, and i think i actually gave the game up for a month. Why rob them the opportunity that we all had in the last year. Bunch of hypocrites here.

I've said it before the real issue isn't mining its the payout of all the other play styles

Last edited:
I hear a bunch of people crying that new players can earn a good Anaconda in a week or less. It took me a week to figure out my binds, and i think i actually gave the game up for a month. Why rob them the opportunity that we all had in the last year. Bunch of hypocrites here.

I've said it before the real issue isn't mining its the payout of all the other play styles
Yup, pretty much this. I said that before somewhere else but will say it again: buffing other play style income to reasonable levels will sort our mining issue for good. If I had a choice between missions/exploration and mining I would never touch mining again in my life. For now I am not that lucky...

I don't know if you are aware of this but our mining in ELITE has gone to ashes, you go into a Void Opal or LTD hotspot, and find nothing, I myself have searched hours in hotspots and found 1 rock to work with, I hope this can be fixed, I did not buy this game in this condition, I bought it for the mining since the mining has all but vanished the game has gone to and is no longer fun to play now, I'm hoping you can fix this problem, ty.

Here are some numbers they could change :-
Times they have only changed some numbers as a re-balance 6
Times it has worked 0

:)
Nice, that really gives me hope for a better experience... I have no expectations that FDev is capable of delivering anything workable TBH...

Nice, that really gives me hope for a better experience... I have no expectations that FDev is capable of delivering anything workable TBH...
They are probably hoping to keep everyone happy but they unfortunately won't.
Keep everything as it is already but just make it harder to mine, that you have to build your ship better to adapt to it.

Top Bottom