Best systems to search to find 36 landable planets

Anyone got any idea of where to focus my attentions if i want to find 36 landable planets.

Based on experience and guessing, i'm thinking binary systems offer the best chance, but those have a habit of largely containing icy landable worlds rather than rocky.

Anyone got any thoughts on this, based on their experience. Star types, number of stars, etc?

I'd aim for a (mass code d) boxel with high Helium proportion in gas giants - ideally 31%+. Even better, a boxel containing Helium-Rich Gas Giants, and focus on the entire boxel. My recent surveys of such boxels led to many systems with a high number of bodies. Very, very few ELWs/WWs so don't expect too much of a payday from them :)
No guarantee you won't get ice balls, so as @Zieman says F or even A main star in a binary setup would help - but if you find a boxel described as above you may as well survey the whole thing anyway, plenty of single star systems had 5+ gas giants, with 7-10 moons each.

I'd aim for a (mass code d) boxel with high Helium proportion in gas giants - ideally 31%+. Even better, a boxel containing Helium-Rich Gas Giants, and focus on the entire boxel. My recent surveys of such boxels led to many systems with a high number of bodies. Very, very few ELWs/WWs so don't expect too much of a payday from them :)
No guarantee you won't get ice balls, so as @Zieman says F or even A main star in a binary setup would help - but if you find a boxel described as above you may as well survey the whole thing anyway, plenty of single star systems had 5+ gas giants, with 7-10 moons each.

Thanks. How do you idenitfy a mass code D boxel?

Thanks. How do you idenitfy a mass code D boxel?
So if you're looking at, say, "Some Sector AB-C d5-0" or "Some Sector EF-G d8", in both of those the mass code is d and is the most likely place you'd find A/F stars but you'll also see G and K fairly commonly too. The mass code will be from a to h. The last part (0 in the first example and 8 in the second) has the affectionate name "n2" - but it's basically a counter for the boxel. If there are 100 stars in that boxel they'll start at 0 and go up to 99 - so in the examples, "Some Sector AB-C d5-0" through to "Some Sector AB-C d5-99", or "Some Sector EF-G d0" through to "Some Sector EF-G d99". Mass code d boxels will by 80x80x80 LY so you're never too far from the next system in the same boxel and it makes it quite easy to traverse through them all sequentially. Boxels also share Helium distribution - so while it might not be exactly the same between systems, if it's high in one it's high in all of them, and if Helium Rich Gas Giants are present, they'll be present across the boxel.

So if you're looking at, say, "Some Sector AB-C d5-0" or "Some Sector EF-G d8", in both of those the mass code is d and is the most likely place you'd find A/F stars but you'll also see G and K fairly commonly too. The mass code will be from a to h. The last part (0 in the first example and 8 in the second) has the affectionate name "n2" - but it's basically a counter for the boxel. If there are 100 stars in that boxel they'll start at 0 and go up to 99 - so in the examples, "Some Sector AB-C d5-0" through to "Some Sector AB-C d5-99", or "Some Sector EF-G d0" through to "Some Sector EF-G d99". Mass code d boxels will by 80x80x80 LY so you're never too far from the next system in the same boxel and it makes it quite easy to traverse through them all sequentially. Boxels also share Helium distribution - so while it might not be exactly the same between systems, if it's high in one it's high in all of them, and if Helium Rich Gas Giants are present, they'll be present across the boxel.

Thanks for the clarification.

Just to follow up and say thanks. After a couple of hours following this technique i found a nice system with 50 bodies, over 36 landable worlds, and even a ringed water world!

Now to get on with my plan... which is going to take some weeks.

Top Bottom