Trading - Buying vs Selling

So it is pretty clear that selling to a station for a profit will affect the influence of the station faction. Does buying have any affect on influence? Or - if then selling for profit?

Nope. Nothing, coz it would be majorly exploitable.

I would like it to be a positive action, there's no sane way to do it.

Nope. Nothing, coz it would be majorly exploitable.

I would like it to be a positive action, there's no sane way to do it.
I'm curious, why would it be unavoidably so?

It seems to me that the most obvious way to implement this would be to make the +inf effect of a profitable trade apply to both the source and destination markets when the goods are sold, instead of just the destination. Same rules otherwise as now. I can't see how you would exploit that beyond what current BGS trade allows, so presumably there's something I'm overlooking?

I'm curious, why would it be unavoidably so?

It seems to me that the most obvious way to implement this would be to make the +inf effect of a profitable trade apply to both the source and destination markets when the goods are sold, instead of just the destination. Same rules otherwise as now. I can't see how you would exploit that beyond what current BGS trade allows, so presumably there's something I'm overlooking?
Binding it like that would avoid the exploit of buy-dump, sure... but you'd need to then track every individual acquisition of goods separately and track it's origin, something the game currently doesn't do (and would carry a host of gotchas).

But beyond that, I just utterly despise the extant mechanics where the positive/negative influences for a faction rely on the player making a profit. It's complete nonsense in my opinion for a variety of reasons.... most notable being it flips economic sense on it's head... suddenly the best economic outcomes for Faction A and Faction B is where Faction A pays top dollar for it's any goods it's need, while Faction B succeeds by being paid as little as possible for the goods it sells, with all profits going into the pocket of a middle man.

That's simply not how good economics works.

So as a Boom state increases the "Supply" of a station or outpost

Buying from that station, as it has a good supply of goods for sale, but NO good demand for goods - So BUYING benefits that faction ZERO gains period. (even though you are injecting tons of credits)...

This essentially makes a Boom state a non beneficial state for the station owning faction.

This makes zero sense.

I have a station where the faction is in a Boom state, the demand for goods is all in the Red, the supply for goods is all Green. By the above logic, this is crippling if I was trying to increase influence by selling, as all sales would be for as loss since there is no demand.

I am really thinking that the BGS is broken in several un-intended ways.

as all sales would be for as loss since there is no demand.
Don't pay too much attention to the red/green bars. They almost certainly don't mean what you think they do [1]. You can quite easily get profitable trades on many goods with red bars ... and also sometimes lose a lot of money on goods with green bars.

Boom increases both supply and demand quantities for goods, and while it doesn't affect many prices significantly, that does mean that you can trade the same good for longer without reducing profits. That is a positive - if a minor one in most cases as it takes a lot of trade to make supply/demand levels significant to start with at all but the tiniest stations. It also increases prices for quite a lot of mined goods, though with the changes yesterday it'll be a while before we know exactly how.

To take a current example, a High-Tech station in Boom near me is importing Gold at just over 55,000 credits per tonne - but Gold can be easily bought at many stations for under 50,000 credits per tonne. You're not going to lose money or influence on that.

Boom does reduce the prices for some goods a little - but it's only by a few percent, so it's not generally going to stop them being profitable. And many of the most profitable goods with the highest buy-sell spreads, it boosts.

Boom is the most common state - by a massive margin - for a controlling faction to be in. Since positive economic transactions are needed to sustain a Boom state, if it made trade unprofitable it would be self-limiting, and it's not.

[1] I have not been able to come up with a coherent and consistent explanation for what they do mean, though I can tell you that any obvious guess is wrong. They're best ignored, I think.

that's not the same. as boom increases buy price, you should be able to create profit, even if demand is shown as low. demand has no influence effect, profit has.
In this case, Boom has not increased the Buy price, in fact, since all Demand is shown Red, the Buy price is not following the Boom at all that I can tell.

The only things selling at a profit are Mined goods that are not purchased at another station, anything else is at a loss, or barely breaking even.

The Sale price of goods is Low though, as all Commodities have a huge Surplus, so I can buy and sell for Large profits in other systems. (Which apparently isnt beneficial).

since all Demand is shown Red...

The only things selling at a profit ...
you are still mixing up demand and (possible) profit. it doesn't matter, wehther it shows at red, as long as you buy cheaper, and make a profit importing it, it will raise the market controlling factions influence.

Exampel: Gupta City in Lacaille 9352 has currently really low ("red") demand of beryllium. for that reason beryllium sells for only 8017 cr/t.
but if you buy beryllium from Lacaille 8760 for 7294 cr/t, you still gonna make 723 cr/t profit.

i'm pretty sure your station is similar. just find a cheap source to make profit. do not look at demand levels or colours or profit calculated from galactic average.

I'd be most interested which is the station you are talking about.

(Which apparently isnt beneficial).
It's beneficial if you own two stations and can take goods between them, though. Then the boom states can reinforce each other

The only things selling at a profit are Mined goods that are not purchased at another station
Other commodities which Boom significantly helps - Military Grade and Conductive Fabrics, Survival Equipment, Animal Monitors, Mineral Extractors.

And it doesn't significantly hurt most others - something like Indium, for example, can be bought at 5000 credits and sells in Boom (with demand at the cap, which it usually will be) for just under 5900 credits. 900 cr/tonne isn't the highest profit available, but the Boom isn't causing a problem getting a decent profit nevertheless

The only things selling at a profit are Mined goods that are not purchased at another station, anything else is at a loss, or barely breaking even.
I'm making 10k/t profit buying gold/silver/palladium at one station, and selling at an import station just fine? And both ends are in boom.

1606295842071.png

Just abandon mission, and sell the illegal gold on the local black market. You dont need to fly anywhere. And you got more credits this way, without doing the mission.
(Thanks for the cmdr who demonstrated this one to me. o7)

View attachment 196851
Just abandon mission, and sell the illegal gold on the local black market. You dont need to fly anywhere. And you got more credits this way, without doing the mission.
(Thanks for the cmdr who demonstrated this one to me. o7)
Thought you had to go to at least a different station for that to work, which significantly reduces its utility

You can't transfer mission cargo to an FC though. So you'll be limited to one shipment, which will be =~ 35m 26m, after 25% stolen debuff. So...a loss

Aha, logical. Then its only works with lower quantities, where the fines are lower.

Last edited:
You can't transfer mission cargo to an FC though. So you'll be limited to one shipment, which will be =~ 35m 26m, after 25% stolen debuff. So...a loss

The cmdr with 3 accounts will take 2 Cutters and a T-9. Let me do the maths again...

Top Bottom