Got attacked by the system's security forces while have no bounty and fine on myself, any idea what's going on?

I was doing the cargo missions in Ceos, and one of those missions has "defeat incoming enemy" optional... I got pulled by the NPC pirate, managed to have a decent engagement, till the system sercurity forces start firing at me for some random reason and I was forced to flee after dealt with that NPC pirate. I checked while been chased by the security forces, which I clearly have no bounty nor fine on myself. Anyone has any idea why this is happening?
Also, I noticed a strange thing, I believe there are 3 system security vessels dropped in while I was fighting the NPC pirate, I noticed not all of them turned "red", only 2/3 turned "red" initially at some point, the remaining one stayed "green" till I finished off the pirate, and turned "red" and start attacking me after that.

I manged to take some screen shots after fleed from those security forces, I'll attach them.
These screen shots should have included the mission information, my cargo status, bounty&fines as well as local commons.

It's a bug that comes & goes, you did the right thing by not shooting them & jumping out.

If you have turrets set to fire at will they can give you trouble when this happens because they will fire on any reds so use target only.
Yeah, that would be really bad as I still have 2 cargo missions on me, getting a bounty basically means I will have a lot of trouble handing those in.

It's a bug that comes & goes, you did the right thing by not shooting them & jumping out.

If you have turrets set to fire at will they can give you trouble when this happens because they will fire on any reds so use target only.

This.

It's happened to me a few times.

First time it happened was after I got interdicted and the cops started shooting at my attacker and then started shooting at me too.
I didn't really know what was going on and legged it.

Eventually it happened when I was in a RES, in a fighty ship.
They couldn't really catch me or hurt me so I stuck around and took the time to check I had no bounties or other reasons for them to be hostile.

You can friendly fire system authority enough to aggro them, without it being enough to gain a fine/bounty. Often enough, you can jump out, and back into an instance and reset their aggro. I do it all the time in high res. OP would not have much reason to jump back in, in this case.

System authorit even aggro each other with alarming regularity.

You can friendly fire system authority enough to aggro them, without it being enough to gain a fine/bounty. Often enough, you can jump out, and back into an instance and reset their aggro. I do it all the time in high res. OP would not have much reason to jump back in, in this case.

System authorit even aggro each other with alarming regularity.
This appears to be true but must be unintended if this is the cause. I think it's an outlying bug with the accidental friendly fire code (which went through several iterations, mostly for the better, years ago).

It really should be either you do enough damage to a non target or damage a target and it's then either you get a bounty or you don't. It seems the sub/function that returns agro isn't in synch with the one that applies the bounty.

I'd guess it's a rounding error or a legacy constant ;)

I'd guess it's a rounding error or a legacy constant ;)

^^ Probably this, "a bug" ...

Then again, if the ghost in the machine says bad cops (even fallible ones) from time to time ..

movie-dredd-sudya-dredd.jpg

It keeps life interesting.

This happens frequently to me in a RES while completing massacres.

I don’t believe it has anything to do with friendly fire. Most of the time I’m engaging targets alone while the cops are playing catch up.

Happened twice to me last night. The second time I’d been in the RES a good 20 minutes and the patrols had become spread out (as they do). I engaged a FAS and just as I was finishing it off I felt lasers on my back from two security Eagles...

There’s never any bounty so I just put 4 pips to shields and menu log on them.

I only see it happening when you murder enough wanted ships of the controlling faction.
in that case (enough being many, many) you'd be hostile - could well be with the OP afaik from the description, but it needs serious efforts to get there.

in that case (enough being many, many) you'd be hostile - could well be with the OP afaik from the description, but it needs serious efforts to get there.
That would indeed be the normal situation. I meant I only see this bug happen when I murdered enough wanted ships of the controlling faction, without turning hostile (because it doesn't turn you hostile). Re-entering the instance fixes it indeed, but I've seen it re-appear as well.

That would indeed be the normal situation. I meant I only see this bug happen when I murdered enough wanted ships of the controlling faction, without turning hostile (because it doesn't turn you hostile). Re-entering the instance fixes it indeed, but I've seen it re-appear as well.
ah, interesting! might be a caching thing, then ... bugreport in order!

I think I may have the answer, and yes, I think it's a bug.

As soon as you engage a wanted ship, something is bugged causing the security to register that you're assaulting a clean ship because they belong to the same faction.

If the wanted ship shoots you the security ships will almost immediately engage the wanted ship, you're a clean ship reporting an assault, but will immediately go back to shooting you as soon as the wanted ship is dead or escapes.

I think it happens at stations too, shoot a wanted ship that belongs to the same faction as the station, it and it's security ships will shoot you, even though they'll switch targets and shred that same ship in a heartbeat as soon as they scan it.

Security shouldn't ever shoot a clean ship, and doesn't, except for this reason, which I think is either a bug or poor coding.

Are you hostile to the local faction?
This is possible to do without committing illegal actions, excessive amounts of fighting in a local cz for example.

Top Bottom